ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA to allow transferring without sitting out?

I get the purple drumbeat, but honestly, we simply can't compete for top talent and won't be able to compete to keep top talent. We will become the Triple A club for Notre Dame, OSU, or Michigan. Most of our recruits don't have the opportunity to play for Oklahoma, OSU, Clemson, etc. And we both know that all of them want visibility, recognition, and a path to the NFL. The best and most proven path to the NFL, 100% undisputed is to gain visibility on a playoff team. The market is not strong for a team that plays in the Music City bowl or if we get lucky the Outback. We will lose guys like Paddy Fisher. Guys like him will be nuts to stay when if they put in one solid year at NU then can transfer and start at Oklahoma or Clemson. I bleed purple but the only way you can be your best is playing with the best. We simply are not the best, in fact, we never ever even won our own division out of 6 teams. I'm troubled now by this rule. On the flip side, we may get some OSU rejects who couldn't make the starting lineup or were placed on misfit island. Either way, we lose. Not good!
Maybe I am living in Shangrala, but it sure seems like most of our recruits come to NU because it is not just a football factory. The whole experience is their deal. Being around teammates they actually like as people. They never choose NU to be adored by the General student population, fawned over by donors and treated with kid gloves academically. This actually becomes our recruiting pitch (the next 40 years not the next 4).

I think our guys that are more likely to leave are guys that are buried on the depth chart with younger guys ahead of them. Just like every other school. Even then I think the rate of attrition is less than most schools due to the factors I mentioned earlier.

As far as the NFL. The scouts will find the players at any FBS school. There are more draft picks from the blue bloods, but the first round is littered with stars from non-blue bloods. Kiper’s mock draft has Josh Allen going first. Where is he from? Wyoming.

Reactions: CatsDad
I get the purple drumbeat, but honestly, we simply can't compete for top talent and won't be able to compete to keep top talent. We will become the Triple A club for Notre Dame, OSU, or Michigan. Most of our recruits don't have the opportunity to play for Oklahoma, OSU, Clemson, etc. And we both know that all of them want visibility, recognition, and a path to the NFL. The best and most proven path to the NFL, 100% undisputed is to gain visibility on a playoff team. The market is not strong for a team that plays in the Music City bowl or if we get lucky the Outback. We will lose guys like Paddy Fisher. Guys like him will be nuts to stay when if they put in one solid year at NU then can transfer and start at Oklahoma or Clemson. I bleed purple but the only way you can be your best is playing with the best. We simply are not the best, in fact, we never ever even won our own division out of 6 teams. I'm troubled now by this rule. On the flip side, we may get some OSU rejects who couldn't make the starting lineup or were placed on misfit island. Either way, we lose. Not good!
Not a purple drum beat. Jango could have gone to Whisky over NU, he didn't. He could have gone to Oregon, he didn't. He chose NU for the reason most our recruits chose it . They connect with the players and coaches and picture themselves fitting in at NU. Not every recruit is about the glitz of recruiting, some are smart enough to see beyond the four years and see the value of that Northwestern degree. They value the honesty for which they are recruited.

I support giving players more power, but it needs to be balanced so everyone doesn’t turn into feeders for bluebloods, P5s, high G5s/mid-majors, etc.

Maybe something in the middle is the best solution.
- Only after head coaching change
- Only after freshman year

The first protects against players losing their coach. The second protects players who were lied to by coaches in recruiting.

I just think it’s the best medium that protects players without going overboard in letting the big boys abusing “lesser” programs.
They already get five year scholarships for four years of eligibility. Just like paying athletes, I can't see much support coming from school administrators.

Wonder how this scenario plays out. Player starts the season on fire but team is 0-3. Injury to starter at top ten program leaves the option for that player to transfer mid-season. No sit out rule, right?

It wouldn't happen often, but enough to really create more talent disparity. As a former athlete, I think the rule should stay, but should also apply to coaches.

Reactions: willycat
Wonder how this scenario plays out. Player starts the season on fire but team is 0-3. Injury to starter at top ten program leaves the option for that player to transfer mid-season. No sit out rule, right?

It wouldn't happen often, but enough to really create more talent disparity. As a former athlete, I think the rule should stay, but should also apply to coaches.
It would be like the trading deadline in MLB. Players with teams not bowling or going to a lower tier bowl would send their resumes to CFP teams hoping to get a shot on the big stage.

Yes, this is wild extrapolation and I know that a player could not reasonably get settled into a new program in 4 - 6 weeks. But it’s a message board so I don’t have to actually think things through. Just type.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
It would be like the trading deadline in MLB. Players with teams not bowling or going to a lower tier bowl would send their resumes to CFP teams hoping to get a shot on the big stage.

Yes, this is wild extrapolation and I know that a player could not reasonably get settled into a new program in 4 - 6 weeks. But it’s a message board so I don’t have to actually think things through. Just type.
A very small percentage of players will make the NFL everybody knows that. What should also be understood is that the players are student-athletes who should be on a path towards a degree and professional career. This new process would undermine the purpose of higher education. I like the grad student program because they have graduated already and are pursuing advancement as well as the chance to play more football.. Don't see this change happening any time soon.

Last edited:
Clemson just announced that the back-up red shirt Freshman QB who played against Syracuse when Bryant was hurt will transfer. They had two other 5* QB's on the roster (including Hunter Johnson who had an NU offer) and I guess he feels like he has a better shot at playing time somewhere else. Too bad the young man will lose a year of eligibility through due to the 5-year rule. A better transfer rule would allow him to play 3 more years not 2, which for a kid not likely to be NFL-bound extends his career by 50%.

Change the rule. Now. Don't wait until 2019.

This rule could be hugely destabilizing. Let's say a team has an elite WR and a really good QB or better. Now let's say the QB is badly injured. The elite WR would still get the playing time but he might fear that his production would take a big hit. So he leaves for another team with a very good QB and no elite WRs so he can get big numbers. => First team is hit with a double whammy.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I see it the opposite. You'll see more good players transferring for lack of PT, which could open up some great talent that we had previously recruited. Sure our top talent in theory could leave, but why do so to go to a program like OSU where you already have an embarrassing amount of talent.

Totally agree with this. Might be the homer in me, but I generally believe we provide a good experience for our student athletes who quickly develop a sense of belonging at NU - I don't believe any of them will be antsy to leave.

On the other hand, there are programs flipping coaches every 18 months, or quality players who can't crack the two-deep...

Not a purple drum beat. Jango could have gone to Whisky over NU, he didn't. He could have gone to Oregon, he didn't. He chose NU for the reason most our recruits chose it . They connect with the players and coaches and picture themselves fitting in at NU. Not every recruit is about the glitz of recruiting, some are smart enough to see beyond the four years and see the value of that Northwestern degree. They value the honesty for which they are recruited.
Oh I agree 100% but I don't think it is either/or. I think it is both/and. I was referring to players like Fisher who would most definitely have serious opportunity and a broader path to the NFL, if this rule was in place now. I don't think that means that a player is all about glitz, but opportunity. I also agree that our players are looking beyond the 4 years, but in doing so, players like Paddy (not saying Paddy specifically) can't help but see tremendously more opportunity for their family if they take a Alabama offer or OSU offer to finish off their college career. I mean, unless there is injury, practically every upper classmen from those 2 schools gets drafted in the first 2 rounds. A NU graduate degree has a lot more value than a undergrad degree but playing for NU has considerably less value on draft day. Undergrad degree is good but it's not something to hang onto more sacred than a kid living his dreams. Follow the dreams, one can always go back and get a degree.

One thing is for sure, playing football is their dreams and they all want to go as far as they can....if they can. I'm not saying that we will be the new "Junior College" route to the "Top" programs but we aren't a top program, even with the degree factored in, and we will be exploited. Ohio State will be able to continually 'restock' every year as their lower classmen go NFL. In a twisted way, it may allow us to have better recruits coming in if schools like Alabama and OSU continually fill their scholarships with 2nd year or 3rd year transfers. Who knows but I don't think this plays to our advantage. Less than equal chances for us is the equation I see.

Oh I agree 100% but I don't think it is either/or. I think it is both/and. I was referring to players like Fisher who would most definitely have serious opportunity and a broader path to the NFL, if this rule was in place now. I don't think that means that a player is all about glitz, but opportunity. I also agree that our players are looking beyond the 4 years, but in doing so, players like Paddy (not saying Paddy specifically) can't help but see tremendously more opportunity for their family if they take a Alabama offer or OSU offer to finish off their college career. I mean, unless there is injury, practically every upper classmen from those 2 schools gets drafted in the first 2 rounds. A NU graduate degree has a lot more value than a undergrad degree but playing for NU has considerably less value on draft day. Undergrad degree is good but it's not something to hang onto more sacred than a kid living his dreams. Follow the dreams, one can always go back and get a degree.

One thing is for sure, playing football is their dreams and they all want to go as far as they can....if they can. I'm not saying that we will be the new "Junior College" route to the "Top" programs but we aren't a top program, even with the degree factored in, and we will be exploited. Ohio State will be able to continually 'restock' every year as their lower classmen go NFL. In a twisted way, it may allow us to have better recruits coming in if schools like Alabama and OSU continually fill their scholarships with 2nd year or 3rd year transfers. Who knows but I don't think this plays to our advantage. Less than equal chances for us is the equation I see.

Broader path to the NFL? Hmmm. Because NU doesn’t develop its players as well as other schools do? Because the NFL favors non NU players, all other things being equal? Please explain.

Clemson just announced that the back-up red shirt Freshman QB who played against Syracuse when Bryant was hurt will transfer. They had two other 5* QB's on the roster (including Hunter Johnson who had an NU offer) and I guess he feels like he has a better shot at playing time somewhere else. Too bad the young man will lose a year of eligibility through due to the 5-year rule. A better transfer rule would allow him to play 3 more years not 2, which for a kid not likely to be NFL-bound extends his career by 50%.

Change the rule. Now. Don't wait until 2019.

Instead of wiping out the rule, how about just adding a year of eligibility one time in case of undergraduate transfer?

Broader path to the NFL? Hmmm. Because NU doesn’t develop its players as well as other schools do? Because the NFL favors non NU players, all other things being equal? Please explain.
Oh, that is anybody's guess. Image I'd say. Just like in recruiting, someone gets an Alabama offer then the player goes to 5 star status. We have had 3 stars that are better than 5 stars coming in. Likewise, our 4 stars almost never seem to crack our lineup as our 3 stars eat them for lunch in practice. Same with NFL. OSU has like 4-6 first rounders every year, some of them only played college ball for 2 years, but they get prime time exposure and play in the Conference championships, and playoffs like the Alabama's and Clemson's. I'd call it exposure I guess and NFL scouts prolly like playing it safe, I mean having a player on the radar who is vetted as a Alabama player is a much better pedigree than some NU guy. It's all based on image and I'm convinced that a Paddy Fisher could bag a helluva lot more money and a monster boost in the draft if he transferred to a playoff caliber team where he can play for a conference title, etc. Here, there is no path that has ever led to a division crown. So a path here must be made. Guys like Paddy Fisher may want to blaze a new path, he will have to if players like him want to do it here.

Instead of wiping out the rule, how about just adding a year of eligibility one time in case of undergraduate transfer?
I'd add a year and still make transfers unlimited. Five years of eligibility, no red shirts or medical exemptions. Cut out all the complications.

I'd add a year and still make transfers unlimited. Five years of eligibility, no red shirts or medical exemptions. Cut out all the complications.
Would you allow the school the right to not offer the 5th year?

This would have huge implications for both college football and basketball. It’s great for the student-athlete, who would have more of the freedom of, you know, a student.

My apologies if this has been talked about below. I read below, maybe I just missed it.

But if this happens - can someone please explain what the value of "signing day" would be?

I mean if the recruit - "wow big deal signing day for this kid, oh boy various college caps on that desk in the gym.....and the winner is..."

I mean, if a year later Joe Blow recruit can just say "no thanks, changed my mind" what will signing day mean? What will recruiting mean? I mean, no seriously, what will recruiting mean? Nothing if you can just leave a year later.

My apologies if this has been talked about below. I read below, maybe I just missed it.

But if this happens - can someone please explain what the value of "signing day" would be?

I mean if the recruit - "wow big deal signing day for this kid, oh boy various college caps on that desk in the gym.....and the winner is..."

I mean, if a year later Joe Blow recruit can just say "no thanks, changed my mind" what will signing day mean? What will recruiting mean? I mean, no seriously, what will recruiting mean? Nothing if you can just leave a year later.

Signing Day means a kid is committed for at least a year. Which is all it means today. Nothing really changes except if a kid decides to transfer after signing day (say, because a coach is fired or quits at the school he signs with) he can leave without sitting out a year. But like today, there has to be a scholarship available at the new school, which doesn't seem likely in Year 1 or the kid would have gone to that school in the base case.

In other words... basketball.

Signing Day means a kid is committed for at least a year. Which is all it means today. Nothing really changes except if a kid decides to transfer after signing day (say, because a coach is fired or quits at the school he signs with) he can leave without sitting out a year. But like today, there has to be a scholarship available at the new school, which doesn't seem likely in Year 1 or the kid would have gone to that school in the base case.
Right. A rule change like this would meant that schools would have to make sure that their players were well cared for as long as they wanted them to stay. This could have problems at both ends of the spectrum with some programs providing ridiculous and even illegal perks and some programs bullying and running kids off early. In Nu's case, I think there would be a great deal of stability relative to the average as the program attracts a very stable group and maintains a family atmosphere. The whole 4 years to prepare for 40 mantra would bring in kids who were less likely to bolt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT