ADVERTISEMENT

ND Fan Here — Skowronek

NewMember21

Sep 22, 2019
Not here to start a fight, as I’ve heard there is some inexplicable animosity between us.

But rather, I’m interested in what ND is getting in Skowronek?

How good is he?
How good can he be?
What are his strengths?
His weaknesses?

In particular, I’m interested in what he can/could provide to a team that’s hoping to compete for the playoffs?

As for ND’s WR situation, we play a boundary/field system. Our boundary WR needs to be big and make contested catches. He typically gets a lot of 1v1 coverage, due to our formations, particularly if they’re not a “game changer” that simply draws that extra attention regardless.

The last 3 years, the players who have held ND’s Boundary WR position are:
- Equanimous St. Brown (2017) — 6th Rd
- Miles Boykin (2018) — 3rd Rd
- Chase Claypool (2019) — 2nd/3rd Rd??

As for the current depth chart there, with the graduation of Claypool, there is an opening at Boundary WR. (Field WR is likely occupied by Braden Lenzy).

The WR in the roster competing for the spot are:
- Kevin Austin (an elite talent and Top100 recruit, flashed as a Frosh in 2018 but was academically ineligible in 2019)
- Micah Jones (huge WR, solid speed, but young and totally unproven)

So this is the situation Skowronek is walking into.

Can he help a Top10-ish team?
How so?

Reactions: Hungry Jack
As an unrelated side note, you’re getting a really nice G/C in Skoronski.

ND didn’t pursue as hard during his initial recruitment during his size, but after his senior season they realized their mistake and tried to circle back.

ND ended up pushing hard for Skoronski but he stuck with Northwestern regardless.

He’ll be a good one.
Personally, I think he’s destined to be an NFL center.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Not here to start a fight, as I’ve heard there is some inexplicable animosity between us.

How good is he?
How good can he be?
What are his strengths?
His weaknesses?

In particular, I’m interested in what he can/could provide to a team that’s hoping to compete for the playoffs?

As for ND’s WR situation, we play a boundary/field system. Our boundary WR needs to be big and make contested catches. He typically gets a lot of 1v1 coverage, due to our formations, particularly if they’re not a “game changer” that simply draws that extra attention regardless.

As for the current depth chart there, with the graduation of Claypool, there is an opening at Boundary WR. (Field WR is likely occupied by Braden Lenzy).

- Kevin Austin (an elite talent and Top100 recruit, flashed as a Frosh in 2018 but was academically ineligible in 2019)

How so?
He's tall. Competing for the playoffs???

He lacks great speed but is excellent at going after contested passes and making the difficult catch. Here's his "legendary" catch against Iowa that enabled us to win the Big Ten West division.

Welcome to the asylum. We don't like ND because they tend to poach our best recruits. It's just a mild form of envy, but nothing that should get in the way of enlightened discourse.

Skow's transfer has caused a bit of a kerfuffle, but the overriding sentiment has been to thank him for his play and to wish him well. He has NFL aspirations, and it is pretty obvious our QB situation is unsettled and is probably not the best vehicle to show case his talents.

Skow is a big body: 6'4" 220 lbs. He has shown reliable hands and good route-running skills. He has a penchant for big catches at key times. I guess, in technical terms, this makes him a gamer. He was pretty productive at NU when our passing offense was not exactly fecund.

He lacks speed and explosiveness you would want from a prototype wide receiver. He won't blow the top of a defense, and he (anecdotally) seems to thrive in a possession game, running routes horizontally vs. vertically.

He reminds me a bit of Szmardija, but I think Smarj was faster.

Welcome to the asylum. We don't like ND because they tend to poach our best recruits. It's just a mild form of envy, but nothing that should get in the way of enlightened discourse.

Skow's transfer has caused a bit of a kerfuffle, but the overriding sentiment has been to thank him for his play and to wish him well. He has NFL aspirations, and it is pretty obvious our QB situation is unsettled and is probably not the best vehicle to show case his talents.

Skow is a big body: 6'4" 220 lbs. He has shown reliable hands and good route-running skills. He has a penchant for big catches at key times. I guess, in technical terms, this makes him a gamer. He was pretty productive at NU when our passing offense was not exactly fecund.

He lacks speed and explosiveness you would want from a prototype wide receiver. He won't blow the top of a defense, and he (anecdotally) seems to thrive in a possession game, running routes horizontally vs. vertically.

Jeff was much faster but Ben is more physical and makes the more difficult catches. He’ll provide leadership and experience at the position for ND. I could see him quickly becoming a favorite target for Book. He’ll catch 40-50 balls next year.

He’s a great 50-50 ball deep receiver. Pretty mediocre in other departments/uses. He won’t get separation, but he can make plays on the ball while closely covered. He’s just got a knack for high pointing the football and has great hands and length. He’s dangerous when single covered even though he’s pretty slow.

Playing a game of 500 with him and one DB isn’t a bad proposition whenever you need a big play. He won’t do much on the YAC front though.

He’s a great 50-50 ball deep receiver. Pretty mediocre in other departments/uses. He won’t get separation, but he can make plays on the ball while closely covered. He’s just got a knack for high pointing the football and has great hands and length. He’s dangerous when single covered even though he’s pretty slow.

Playing a game of 500 with him and one DB isn’t a bad proposition whenever you need a big play. He won’t do much on the YAC front though.

Sounds like a "poor man's" version of what we've had at Boundary WR in Boykin and Claypool, although both of them actually had good speed.

The biggest thing at that position, at least with Book at QB, is running and catching the "back-shoulder route".

Is that something Skowronek has any experience or success with?

Sounds like a "poor man's" version of what we've had at Boundary WR in Boykin and Claypool, although both of them actually had good speed.

The biggest thing at that position, at least with Book at QB, is running and catching the "back-shoulder route".

Yes.

We've won 10-12 games each of the last 3 years, including making the playoff's 1x.

We're coming off an 11-win season and return "starters" at:
QB
All 5 OL spots
1-2 WR/TE spots
3 out of 4 DL spots
All 3 LB spots
3 out of 5 CB spots

We should be in the range of 11-12 wins again in 2020, and thus "competing for the playoffs".

I don’t Remember him catching many back shoulder passes so I would say not really. With his height, hands and the previously mentioned knack for high pointing and successfully coming up with jump balls, Book can look to him as a viable outlet even when the DB is running stride for stride with him. He’ll be more adept and catching lofted passes that require him to come up with a contested pass at its high point, than catching back shoulder passes that require him to stop his forward momentum on a dime and come back to catch the pass.

Nice.

If he's big, physical, makes contested catches and can run/catch the back-shoulder route....he's got a good chance at a lot of PT and catches with Book.

Should be interesting to see if he can win a starting spot among Austin, Lenzy, Jones and the "new-comers"

How good is he?
How good can he be?
What are his strengths?
His weaknesses?

How so?
Too dang slow! Gonna get stuffed!

We've won 10-12 games each of the last 3 years, including making the playoff's 1x.

QB
All 5 OL spots
1-2 WR/TE spots
3 out of 4 DL spots
All 3 LB spots
3 out of 5 CB spots

We should be in the range of 11-12 wins again in 2020, and thus "competing for the playoffs".
Dam good team!

Reactions: NewMember21

Yes, back-shoulder is a strength. Any route that involves good body control, range, contorting his body and coming down with ball in his hands he is pretty damn good at.

DBs probably won’t be giving him a big cushion though because he won’t separate. (I’m guessing he’s a 4.8 forty type of guy and that might be generous.)

Any team that’s worth a damn is competing for the playoffs every year given that a conference championship in a Power 5 conference gives you a really good chance to get in.

At ND, 11-1 can get them there in most years.

Next year, the best teams they play are probably going to be Clemson and Wisconsin. Stanford or USC (big maybe) might be 3 and 4. A loss to Clemson (assuming they’re dominant again) won’t keep them out I don’t think.

It’s not an easy schedule, but it’s top heavy with a lot of cream puffs.

ND 2020 schedule
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2020/team/notre-dame

QB
All 5 OL spots
1-2 WR/TE spots
3 out of 4 DL spots
All 3 LB spots
3 out of 5 CB spots

Oh, ok.

QB
All 5 OL spots
1-2 WR/TE spots
3 out of 4 DL spots
All 3 LB spots
3 out of 5 CB spots

I

I don't really give a shit. I wouldn't go to a co-ed monastery with a football team attached like ND if you paid me. And I was a Chicago Catholic League National Merit Finalist who should have been destined for the place but after listening to all that rah rah ND bullshit from guys who went to CK and Queen of Martyrs for four years of high school was enough to send me to a godless place like NU. Don't even think of trying that "bet you couldn't get in" nonsense on me either.

Reactions: CitizenCat
I

I don't really give a shit. I wouldn't go to a co-ed monastery with a football team attached like ND if you paid me. And I was a Chicago Catholic League National Merit Finalist who should have been destined for the place but after listening to all that rah rah ND bullshit from guys who went to CK and Queen of Martyrs for four years of high school was enough to send me to a godless place like NU. Don't even think of trying that "bet you couldn't get in" nonsense on me either.

Ok?
ND isn’t for everyone.

Similarly, I was down to Notre Dame, Northwestern and Duke. I didn’t particularly like the “commuter feel” or culture at Northwestern, and I wasn’t the worlds biggest fan of the east coast folks and the general frat culture at Duke.
(I'm from Wisconsin)

Not sure what any of this has to do with football.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I don’t know why it’s so hard to be civil to visitors that post legitimate questions in a respectful manner. I don’t tolerate trolls, but this guy isn’t trolling.

No kidding...

I understand (and quite frankly share in) the Notre Dame hate, but it’s strange when others are flabbergasted by a Domer’s lack of disdain for Notre Dame. Sheesh!

Let the man have high expectations (or hopes) for his Alma matter next year. I know I do.

Last edited:
Ben is great at the hand fighting game with DB, but I could almost guarantee a few offensive PI’s.

this is what I was going to say. He’s big, makes good contested catches, but I feel like he pushes off quite a bit more than most WRs. All in all though, you’re getting a good one.

this is what I was going to say. He’s big, makes good contested catches, but I feel like he pushes off quite a bit more than most WRs. All in all though, you’re getting a good one.

He’s good at doing the offensive PI in a stealthy subtle way that avoids a lot of calls. I think a few of his offensive PIs actually led to PI calls against the DB. If PI ever became a slow motion booth replay call, he’d be screwed.

He’s good at doing the offensive PI in a stealthy subtle way that avoids a lot of calls. I think a few of his offensive PIs actually led to PI calls against the DB. If PI ever became a slow motion booth replay call, he’d be screwed.

WR’s push off when they can’t otherwise create separation.

I wonder if he gets away with it more because of his height and length. When he pushes off of the usually shorter defender, it tends to be low (from the chest or midsection) on his body and doesn't look as flagrant. The shorter defender is pushing or reaching at shoulder height. Maybe the shoulder height hand play looks more aggressive in real time.

How good is he?
How good can he be?
What are his strengths?
His weaknesses?

How so?
If you can convincingly tell me how much Hunter Johnson will help NU next year I can tell you how much Ben will help your team next year. These forecasts are pretty meaningless in my opinion.

I wonder if he gets away with it more because of his height and length. When he pushes off of the usually shorter defender, it tends to be low (from the chest or midsection) on his body and doesn't look as flagrant. The shorter defender is pushing or reaching at shoulder height. Maybe the shoulder height hand play looks more aggressive in real time.
It’s a skill. How often does offensive PI called? Ben got a number of defensive PI calls when he initiated the contact. It’s a good chance to take, especially in third down.

Ok?
ND isn’t for everyone.

Similarly, I was down to Notre Dame, Northwestern and Duke. I didn’t particularly like the “commuter feel” or culture at Northwestern, and I wasn’t the worlds biggest fan of the east coast folks and the general frat culture at Duke.
(I'm from Wisconsin)

By "commuter feel" do you mean being in an actual city?

Reactions: NUCat320
(I'm from Wisconsin)

Not sure what any of this has to do with football.[/QUOTE]

Northwestern students tend to come from all over the country, making it to me almost the polar opposite of a commuter school. If you want to know what an actual commuter school feels like, I'll direct you to the small state college I attended in Pa. I went to Northwestern as well, and there was a very wide gulf between the two cultures, especially in the '60s.

(I'm from Wisconsin)

pawildcat wrote: "Northwestern students tend to come from all over the country, making it to me almost the polar opposite of a commuter school. If you want to know what an actual commuter school feels like, I'll direct you to the small state college I attended in Pa."

Right, commuting from LA, to which you are going to return to become a major star.

By "commuter feel" do you mean being in an actual city?
(I'm from Wisconsin)

I’m not here to dump on your school. It’s a great school.

What I didn’t like was the actual number and “feel” of how many students did not live on campus, how many were non-traditional (older, not 18), how so much of the “night life” seemed to take place in Chicago as opposed to on campus, etc.

It’s not other people can’t like those exact things. It’s just not what I was looking for.

I greatly preferred the undergrad focused, on campus, traditional cultural of Notre Dame and Duke.
(Though I preferred the lack of frats at ND as opposed to the frat-heavy culture of Duke)

That was just my preference, based on what I was looking for.

Ok?
ND isn’t for everyone.

(I'm from Wisconsin)

Wow. I have never heard NU characterized as seeming like a commuter school in the almost 40 years I have been associated with the university.

What I didn’t like was the actual number and “feel” of how many students did not live on campus, how many were non-traditional (older, not 18), how so much of the “night life” seemed to take place in Chicago as opposed to on campus, etc.

What year did you visit? Your description wasn’t NU when I went from 88-92.

I’m not here to dump on your school. It’s a great school.

It’s not other people can’t like those exact things. It’s just not what I was looking for.

I greatly preferred the undergrad focused, on campus, traditional cultural of Notre Dame and Duke.
(Though I preferred the lack of frats at ND as opposed to the frat-heavy culture of Duke)

That was just my preference, based on what I was looking for.
You sure you weren't at Loyola?

ADVERTISEMENT