ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska -9.5

Go Catz

Sep 26, 2019
FanDuel has odds up for the first week's games.

We lost 56 - 7 last year. Martinez is gone and I guess we are looking at Texas transfer Casey Thompson at QB for the Huskers?

I don't have a lot of confidence going into this game. I usually like to err on the bright side of things, but I'm not seeing much hope for optimism yet for the Cats. Somebody pass me the Purple Koolaid please.

I don't have a lot of confidence going into this game. I usually like to err on the bright side of things, but I'm not seeing much hope for optimism yet for the Cats. Somebody pass me the Purple Koolaid please.
Order a pitcher, I'll have some too.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I expect Nebraska to disappoint again, and win about 5 games, tops. I also expect us to disappoint, and for Nebraska to beat us.

I expect Nebraska to disappoint again, and win about 5 games, tops. I also expect us to disappoint, and for Nebraska to beat us.
The total lack of ability to accurately predict what our team is going to look like from year to year always has me really nervous leading into the first game of the year in a way I don't really get nervous watching other teams. It's not a "oh man I hope we win" nervous it's more of a Christmas morning "let's look in the mystery present and find out if Fitz Claus brought us all the toys of our dreams or a lump of coal this year" nervous.

The total lack of ability to accurately predict what our team is going to look like from year to year always has me really nervous leading into the first game of the year in a way I don't really get nervous watching other teams. It's not a "oh man I hope we win" nervous it's more of a Christmas morning "let's look in the mystery present and find out if Fitz Claus brought us all the toys of our dreams or a lump of coal this year" nervous.
All you can do is hope for the best and cheer for the purple 🟣. This is pivotal for Fitz to at least get back to a winning record after the disaster that was last season. Personally, I think we will see improvement on the defense if the guys have had more time with I'm Neil's defense. Not so sure about the offense though. That was a disaster, just as bad as the D. Fitz needs to install a much more dynamic offensive system to get the heavy hitting recruits. Yes, we have all been excited about our new recruits every season, but few ever pan out to be worth much in terms of real quality. We need to land more 4 star recruits is the bottom line, and you won't be doing that anytime soon running an almost non existent offensive scheme. Hilinsky isn't the answer either, and if we can't develop QBs that did choose NU, what does that say about the quality of the staff.

All you can do is hope for the best and cheer for the purple 🟣. This is pivotal for Fitz to at least get back to a winning record after the disaster that was last season. Personally, I think we will see improvement on the defense if the guys have had more time with I'm Neil's defense. Not so sure about the offense though. That was a disaster, just as bad as the D. Fitz needs to install a much more dynamic offensive system to get the heavy hitting recruits. Yes, we have all been excited about our new recruits every season, but few ever pan out to be worth much in terms of real quality. We need to land more 4 star recruits is the bottom line, and you won't be doing that anytime soon running an almost non existent offensive scheme. Hilinsky isn't the answer either, and if we can't develop QBs that did choose NU, what does that say about the quality of the staff.
I'm kind of in the opposite camp. I agree the offense was terrible last year but I think our running game will be solid this year with an improved OLine and a healthy Porter added to Hull, Clair, Tyus. If Hilinski or Sullivan can be capable game managers and minimize the self-inflicted wounds that killed us last year, we might have a chance.

The defense still scares me.

First games are always kind of weird. I mean did even the most optimistic people on this board think the Maryland game in 2020 would go down the way it did?

Or for that matter, did even the most pessimistic people think the Michigan State game in 2021 would be like it was?

First games are always kind of weird. I mean did even the most optimistic people on this board think the Maryland game in 2020 would go down the way it did?

Or for that matter, did even the most pessimistic people think the Michigan State game in 2021 would be like it was?
I had a really good feeling going into 2020 because of Peyton Ramsey, but not 43-3 good against MD. Last year, I was more hopeful than confident, drinking the Kool-aid on the Hunter Johnson renaissance story. This year I'm slightly less optimistic than last year but hoping that Sullivan will be a breakout star, as I'm still skeptical about Hilinski (please prove me wrong).

I had a really good feeling going into 2020 because of Peyton Ramsey, but not 43-3 good against MD. Last year, I was more hopeful than confident, drinking the Kool-aid on the Hunter Johnson renaissance story. This year I'm slightly less optimistic than last year but hoping that Sullivan will be a breakout star, as I'm still skeptical about Hilinski (please prove me wrong).
Right, and I think many of us felt the same way. That's what made those opening games so unexpected. We might have had a "good feeling" but a 43-3 blowout with our offensive line run-blocking better than ever was shocking (though obviously a pleasant surprise).

Meanwhile, I think most of us thought last year would be a good year - maybe not as good as 2020 and 2018, but still pretty good. Instead, MSU immediately kicked us in the teeth and the rest is history.

Meanwhile, I think most of us thought last year would be a good year - maybe not as good as 2020 and 2018, but still pretty good. Instead, MSU immediately kicked us in the teeth and the rest is history.
Agreed. I didn't think the JON defense would be that bad, compounded by an incompetent offense. One of the least enjoyable seasons in recent memory, and that's coming from a survivor of the Dark Ages. The hope for this season is for the offense to keep the defense off the field by controlling the ball and eating up the clock.

Reactions: rmndcat
Opening line for something like this is so interesting. Objectively/factoring out that we have a dog in this fight, I might argue that two middling teams with question marks at key positions means you should put your money on the dog.

But...don't get me wrong. I'm expecting a loss here, but I also think Fitz wins on the variables - maybe it's my own homer sentiments, but I tend to think our coaches will be better at keeping players focused and will minimize the distractions that an exhibition like this naturally yields, especially since it's the start of the season rather than the finish. We'll see.

My vibe is almost always “nervous but hopeful.”

I agree with the nervous but hopeful. I think Hilinski should be adequate with Porter as the first and second down back and a more mature O-Line. Getting 3 or more yards running on first down would have a big effect on his efficiency, as I think he sees the field pretty well and on 2nd and 3rd and reasonable, and will find an open short yardage receiver pretty consistently. He gets in trouble when he needs to wait for a receiver to get open 10 or more yards downfield. I appreciate the hope for Sullivan, but I really think the best player on every team is the back up QB, and preseason hope for an inexperienced QB often turns mid season disappointment.
Having said that, I realize it feels a little strange to be hoping that the Cats are able to adequately execute a very dull, grind it out, just barely make first downs, throwback offense.

This year, I have no confidence. As long as JON wears purple, I will presume a terrible defense until proven otherwise. Since, we lost our best 2 defensive players. Meanwhile, nobody noticed that the offense was "2019 bad" because we were so alarmed at the bad D. Look it up, we scored around the same as 2019 per game, and did NOT improve. Illinois kicked our asses. Re kicking, I will sarcastically say that I will have to trust Fitz that the remaining kickers must be worse than a five year starter who was easily the worst in the conference.

These are not the 1999 Cats that grew into the y2k Cats. I peg this team at 3 wins, and think we have a better chance at 0-12 than 6-6.

I'm kind of in the opposite camp. I agree the offense was terrible last year but I think our running game will be solid this year with an improved OLine and a healthy Porter added to Hull, Clair, Tyus. If Hilinski or Sullivan can be capable game managers and minimize the self-inflicted wounds that killed us last year, we might have a chance.

The defense still scares me.
Face it, both sides of the ball are somewhat scary, but not being able to properly develop any QB we have recruited is also scary. Picking up table scraps and making them starting QBs hasn't been so great for us. The one time it worked, the guy was just an efficient game manager, and it showed as he couldn't get a gig on a NFL roster. Fitzgerald needs to hire coordinators with vision and a resume to back it up.

Reactions: drewjin
Face it, both sides of the ball are somewhat scary, but not being able to properly develop any QB we have recruited is also scary. Picking up table scraps and making them starting QBs hasn't been so great for us. The one time it worked, the guy was just an efficient game manager, and it showed as he couldn't get a gig on a NFL roster. Fitzgerald needs to hire coordinators with vision and a resume to back it up.
A lot of our best QBs not named Otto Graham haven't exactly lit up the NFL rosters, and that's irrelevant to how well they perform for NU. Ramsey was a winner, I would take him as our QB just about any year.

We don’t need an NFL QB, just one that is a game manager. Game manager at QB and a solid D and we will be in the mix for a BIG Championship. I think Hilinski can do that for us. But the defense, well that remains to be seen… I’m nervously optimistic we cover

Reactions: usopen30
One factor is how well the teams handle the unique travel situation. No Nebraska player has traveled for a bowl game unless some of their transfers did. But Frost hasn’t taken Neb to a bowl game and this is longer travel and time change than any bowl game. I think we have an advantage in that we will more likely be disciplined and organized. Whether that has an impact on the result is to be determined.

One factor is how well the teams handle the unique travel situation. No Nebraska player has traveled for a bowl game unless some of their transfers did. But Frost hasn’t taken Neb to a bowl game and this is longer travel and time change than any bowl game. I think we have an advantage in that we will more likely be disciplined and organized. Whether that has an impact on the result is to be determined.
That Frost hasn't even gone to a bowl game in four years is absolutely wild

As far as the unique travel situation, didn't the bugeaters play in Ireland trip last year v. Illinois? Travelling this far and east, not west, is something NU hasn't done before at all, I think. Eastbound jetlag is rougher than westbound, generally. Just ask Stanford. That said, disclipine and organization should(?) be factors in NU's favor.

As far as the unique travel situation, didn't the bugeaters play in Ireland trip last year v. Illinois? Travelling this far and east, not west, is something NU hasn't done before at all, I think. Eastbound jetlag is rougher than westbound, generally. That said, disclipine and organization should(?) be factors in NU's favor.
There’s the jet lag, there’s the focus from the travel opportunity, all that. I’m not a big believer it’s much of a factor, but if one was a believer it would be all of that broken routine.

Is that your first post in a while VIllox? Where the hell have you been?

Hope all is well.

GOUNUII
Sorry just saw this. I moved to London in January and Rivals blocks themselves in europe so i can't get back into the habit of just clicking all day. I can access with VPN but slightly pointless until we get closer to the season.

As far as the unique travel situation, didn't the bugeaters play in Ireland trip last year v. Illinois? Travelling this far and east, not west, is something NU hasn't done before at all, I think. Eastbound jetlag is rougher than westbound, generally. Just ask Stanford. That said, disclipine and organization should(?) be factors in NU's favor.
No, they were scheduled to at one point but it got cancelled due to Covid rules. Our game is effectively replacing the one that had been scheduled against Illinois last year. They bribed us to give up one of our home games... Nebby is playing IL at home this year so didn't want to give that one up.

No, they were scheduled to at one point but it got cancelled due to Covid rules. Our game is effectively replacing the one that had been scheduled against Illinois last year. They bribed us to give up one of our home games... Nebby is playing IL at home this year so didn't want to give that one up.
Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about the location change.

FanDuel has odds up for the first week's games.

We lost 56 - 7 last year. Martinez is gone and I guess we are looking at Texas transfer Casey Thompson at QB for the Huskers?
It's at +12 right now on my site.

Maybe this always happens this time of year, but I'm starting to feel a bit more optimistic for next season. And it's not like Nebby was good last year. I think I will be betting the Cats. And hoping the B-Sull earns the starting QB job out of camp (or else Hilinski takes a big step forward). An optimist until proven otherwise...

I'll say one thing. Keep it close early and the Cats could pull the upset here. Pressure will be very heavy burden for Scott Frost and the Cornhuskers here. It's practically a must win and that's a lot to put on the first game of a season.

A lot of our best QBs not named Otto Graham haven't exactly lit up the NFL rosters, and that's irrelevant to how well they perform for NU. Ramsey was a winner, I would take him as our QB just about any year.
Why? He was more of a game manager than QB with his stat sheet. NU needs a real ball slinger to get back to 2018 form, or better yet to improve over 2015-18. The program will not move forward with a game manager at the helm of the offense. You want to get better/bigger Wrs to come? Best to get a real QB that can get the ball to them or make things happen.

Why? He was more of a game manager than QB with his stat sheet. NU needs a real ball slinger to get back to 2018 form, or better yet to improve over 2015-18. The program will not move forward with a game manager at the helm of the offense. You want to get better/bigger Wrs to come? Best to get a real QB that can get the ball to them or make things happen.
I guess you didn't pay attention that much to the 2020 season then. Ramsey was more than a game manager, he was a playmaker and clutch as hell. He capped off a championship season with an emphatic 35-19 win over Auburn in the Citrus Bowl. Down 14-13 in the 3rd quarter, Ramsey scored on a 30 yard TD run to put NU up for good. He was definitely more than just a game manager, although he was a damn good game manager too. His stats that game: 24-35, 291 yds, 3 TD, 0 Int. To me, that's Peyton Ramsey. I would take him over Thorson, who was also a good QB.

I guess you didn't pay attention that much to the 2020 season then. Ramsey was more than a game manager, he was a playmaker and clutch as hell. He capped off a championship season with an emphatic 35-19 win over Auburn in the Citrus Bowl. Down 14-13 in the 3rd quarter, Ramsey scored on a 30 yard TD run to put NU up for good. He was definitely more than just a game manager, although he was a damn good game manager too. His stats that game: 24-35, 291 yds, 3 TD, 0 Int. To me, that's Peyton Ramsey. I would take him over Thorson, who was also a good QB.
The last line is the key here, taking Ramsey over Thorson. Ramsey was definitely more than a game manager, look at his stats at IU… and then his lesser stats and NU. Thorson had a lot more tools and talent than Ramsey and should have been able to exceed Ramsey at NU, but Ramsey looked maybe better than Thorson. Why? I criticize our offensive approach more than either of the two QBs, both of whom did amazing things for NU.

The last line is the key here, taking Ramsey over Thorson. Ramsey was definitely more than a game manager, look at his stats at IU… and then his lesser stats and NU. Thorson had a lot more tools and talent than Ramsey and should have been able to exceed Ramsey at NU, but Ramsey looked maybe better than Thorson. Why? I criticize our offensive approach more than either of the two QBs, both of whom did amazing things for NU.
Thorson was better than Ramsey. No doubt in my mind. The good news is Ramsey did exactly what he was brought in to do for one year. A perfect transfer.

Thorson was better than Ramsey. No doubt in my mind. The good news is Ramsey did exactly what he was brought in to do for one year. A perfect transfer.
Again, if that’s true, consider why Ramsey had numbers at Indiana that were far superior to Clayton’s best NU years and Peyton also statistically regressed considerably at NU

Reactions: DaCat
Again, if that’s true, consider why Ramsey had numbers at Indiana that were far superior to Clayton’s best NU years and Peyton also statistically regressed considerably at NU
Far superior? That’s not true. CT’s SO year was better than any year PR had. In fact, I would argue CT had a better year or at least as good every class year than PR.

The other factor is the offense the team played in. NU scheme with MCCall versus Indiana. CT had to deal with a MCCall offense that you and I could have predicted plays. Jake hasn’t been a world beater but he was able to get PR on the move and capitalize on his short game accuracy. CT was not Trevor Lawrence, but I think he is one of the most under appreciated guys at NU in last couple of decades.

Reactions: CatManTrue
Far superior? That’s not true. CT’s SO year was better than any year PR had. In fact, I would argue CT had a better year or at least as good every class year than PR.

The other factor is the offense the team played in. NU scheme with MCCall versus Indiana. CT had to deal with a MCCall offense that you and I could have predicted plays. Jake hasn’t been a world beater but he was able to get PR on the move and capitalize on his short game accuracy. CT was not Trevor Lawrence, but I think he is one of the most under appreciated guys at NU in last couple of decades.
I think Thorson clearly had more raw QB talent than Peyton Ramsey, but Peyton was more of a gamer. If I had to pick one starting QB to win a game for us I would take Ramsey over Sr year Thorson (or So year Thorson, take your pick).

Both were good QBs for us though. Would take either easily over anything we trotted out last year…. hoping for improvement in the off-season.

Reactions: DaCat
I think Thorson clearly had more raw QB talent than Peyton Ramsey, but Peyton was more of a gamer. If I had to pick one starting QB to win a game for us I would take Ramsey over Sr year Thorson (or So year Thorson, take your pick).

Both were good QBs for us though. Would take either easily over anything we trotted out last year…. hoping for improvement in the off-season.
+1

Both were winners, but I would also take Ramsey over Thorson.

Reactions: ricko654321
The only stat that matters for a QB is wins. NU’s offense is designed not to maximize offensive stats. It’s designed to complement a dominant defense and strong special teams play to win games. Score enough points while prioritizing ball possession and field position over risk taking. That’s the way FItz wants to play. That is why it’s hard to judge an NU QB by any other stat than wins.

The only stat that matters for a QB is wins. NU’s offense is designed not to maximize offensive stats. It’s designed to complement a dominant defense and strong special teams play to win games. Score enough points while prioritizing ball possession and field position over risk taking. That’s the way FItz wants to play. That is why it’s hard to judge an NU QB by any other stat than wins.
Part of the discussion was getting top WRs to come to NU. With our offensive system and output neither of them were exactly lighting up WRs stat sheets. We haven’t gotten a 4* WR out of HS maybe ever (not counting transfer Kyle Prater)? As opposed to every other position group where we’ve gotten 4* kids.

ADVERTISEMENT