ADVERTISEMENT

Negativity

If I am not supposed to be negative when my favorite team is 1-5, when am I allowed to be? 0-6?

Just watched the weekly You Tube updates featuring Chris Bergin representing the defense and Kyric Mc Gowan representing the offense. What impressive young men. Guys like these are why I am so passionate about Wildcat football. They clearly have not given up and as long as they give 100% on the field, I will give them 100% as a fan. Hope we turn things around starting with Iowa, I will be there cheering for our guys.

Of all the football boards I see, this has to be one of the least negative ones. No one from any fan base are happy when their team loses, but this one is tame compared to what Iowa's looks like after a loss. LOL Iowa wants to fire Ferentz, replace his kid as OC and trash the QB after every loss. Hell, they're negative when we win, and it wasn't pretty enough. At least you people here can talk football and not trash each other. Being an Iowa fan, I can say I hope NW doesn't get it together this weekend, but I hope you win the rest of your games. NW is one of the few BiG schools I don't hate. ;)

I can forgive a down year, but if Hunter needs experience, then I don't understand why we're not giving him experience. It doesn't feel like a down year; it feels like a wasted year. That's what's frustrating.

Again, if Hunter really is still injured, then I understand, but I don't understand what Fitz is trying to accomplish by keeping that secret.
Exactly what is he supposed to say? Unless it is season ending as was the case with TJ he has always kept health issues private. And as porous as our OL has been, do you want to risk his health and mind ?

Exactly what is he supposed to say? Unless it is season ending as was the case with TJ he has always kept health issues private. And as porous as our OL has been, do you want to risk his health and mind ?
Don't list him on the two-deep if he's a no-go. By all official announcements, Hunter is healthy and ready to play, but he's not playing. By all official announcements, Hunter got dropped to 4th-string because another player got to be Aidan's backup instead of Hunter against the Buckeyes.

Just watched the weekly You Tube updates featuring Chris Bergin representing the defense and Kyric Mc Gowan representing the offense. What impressive young men. Guys like these are why I am so passionate about Wildcat football. They clearly have not given up and as long as they give 100% on the field, I will give them 100% as a fan. Hope we turn things around starting with Iowa, I will be there cheering for our guys.

Link?

Of all the football boards I see, this has to be one of the least negative ones. No one from any fan base are happy when their team loses, but this one is tame compared to what Iowa's looks like after a loss. LOL Iowa wants to fire Ferentz, replace his kid as OC and trash the QB after every loss. Hell, they're negative when we win, and it wasn't pretty enough. At least you people here can talk football and not trash each other. Being an Iowa fan, I can say I hope NW doesn't get it together this weekend, but I hope you win the rest of your games. NW is one of the few BiG schools I don't hate. ;)
Sorry, we have to win our next six games to become bowl eligible, Iowa will have to take one for the Purple.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Choose a sample size, and act appropriately.

Are the Cats 1-5?

Smeagol: “Why, precious? Why does the Catses hurts us?”
Gollum: “Filthy coacheses! We should fires them all!”

Are the Cats 11-3?

Yes, in their last 14 Big Ten West games, at least. Don’t rock the boat. Don’t overreact. Scoring is overrated. The system works. All hail the system.

Remember, three points were sufficient for Chicago to beat Northwestern back in 1924, and that 0-3 instant classic was spectacular enough for us to commemorate with our team nickname. Boring football is in our DNA.

So, what have the Cats really done this season?

Racked up ye olde annual inexplicable OOC loss, beaten a physically inferior team, gotten whalloped by a physically superior team, played decently against a very good Wisconsin team, played a bad game against MSU, and came up a few plays short in a typical ‘down to the wire’ game they always seem to end up in against one of the other teams trapped in the blob at the middle of the Big Ten West.

The blob games are what this program has been feasting on. Those are the critical games. But instead of a schedule allowing for gradual improvement, fighting blob-mates who have similar strengths and weaknesses before more challenging and complete opponents, the Cats started conference play by embarking on a grand tour of some of the conference’s best teams, and some of the conference’s best defenses, in what is clearly a rebuilding year for Northwestern.

That schedule, coinciding with the team’s circumstances, has absolutely sucked.

But, I will judge this season on its entirety. The Cats should be around .500 in a down year, by the standard I had hoped the program had reached. No reason this year’s squad can’t approach or achieve that goal. There’s a lot of football left to be played.

A win against Iowa would give the Cats a sorely needed boost right now. If Bowser is truly back to healthy, I think a win is achievable.

I really didn’t think the Cats had much of a chance in a few of the (obvious) previous games. But I think they have a chance in all of the remaining games. And talk of a write-off season kind of disgusts me. The seniors on this team deserve to be sent off in better circumstances than that.

Besides, losing is a habit.

Commencing with Iowa, the Cats really dig in to the heart of blob season.

Best to remind those folks that Northwestern hasn’t gone away.

Go Cats

Reactions: freewillie07
Choose a sample size, and act appropriately.

Are the Cats 1-5?

Smeagol: “Why, precious? Why does the Catses hurts us?”
Gollum: “Filthy coacheses! We should fires them all!”

Are the Cats 11-3?

Yes, in their last 14 Big Ten West games, at least. Don’t rock the boat. Don’t overreact. Scoring is overrated. The system works. All hail the system.

Remember, three points were sufficient for Chicago to beat Northwestern back in 1924, and that 0-3 instant classic was spectacular enough for us to commemorate with our team nickname. Boring football is in our DNA.

So, what have the Cats really done this season?

Racked up ye olde annual inexplicable OOC loss, beaten a physically inferior team, gotten whalloped by a physically superior team, played decently against a very good Wisconsin team, played a bad game against MSU, and came up a few plays short in a typical ‘down to the wire’ game they always seem to end up in against one of the other teams trapped in the blob at the middle of the Big Ten West.

The blob games are what this program has been feasting on. Those are the critical games. But instead of a schedule allowing for gradual improvement, fighting blob-mates who have similar strengths and weaknesses before more challenging and complete opponents, the Cats started conference play by embarking on a grand tour of some of the conference’s best teams, and some of the conference’s best defenses, in what is clearly a rebuilding year for Northwestern.

That schedule, coinciding with the team’s circumstances, has absolutely sucked.

But, I will judge this season on its entirety. The Cats should be around .500 in a down year, by the standard I had hoped the program had reached. No reason this year’s squad can’t approach or achieve that goal. There’s a lot of football left to be played.

A win against Iowa would give the Cats a sorely needed boost right now. If Bowser is truly back to healthy, I think a win is achievable.

I really didn’t think the Cats had much of a chance in a few of the (obvious) previous games. But I think they have a chance in all of the remaining games. And talk of a write-off season kind of disgusts me. The seniors on this team deserve to be sent off in better circumstances than that.

Besides, losing is a habit.

Commencing with Iowa, the Cats really dig in to the heart of blob season.

Best to remind those folks that Northwestern hasn’t gone away.

Go Cats

Great post. Still don’t think we get to .500 without bringing Hunter back under center. But I just want to see winning football again, even if it’s ugly with Aidan and his inability to throw the ball more than a few yards downfield.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
But I just want to see winning football again, even if it’s ugly with Aidan and his inability to throw the ball more than a few yards downfield.
But if we continue with LOSING football while keeping it ugly with Aidan and his inability to throw the ball more than a few yards downfield, then I actually will start calling for Fitz's head, and I NEVER thought I would say that. This is insanity.

But if we continue with LOSING football while keeping it ugly with Aidan and his inability to throw the ball more than a few yards downfield, then I actually will start calling for Fitz's head, and I NEVER thought I would say that. This is insanity.

I’m with you. And I feel the same, Fitz has always been a lifer in my eyes.

Reactions: IGNORE

That's because NU fans have the lowest expectations of any fan base of any major conference program. The team could go undefeated next year, but if they went 2-10 the year after, the guys here and elsewhere would say, "Yeah, but do you remember going 1-10 under Francis Peay 35 years ago?"

It will never change.

That's because NU fans have the lowest expectations of any fan base of any major conference program. The team could go undefeated next year, but if they went 2-10 the year after, the guys here and elsewhere would say, "Yeah, but do you remember going 1-10 under Francis Peay 35 years ago?"

It will never change.
Yeah, I remember the Iowa Hayden Fry days when Iowa fans just expected the game to be over by halftime, but NW has come a long long way since those days. Good luck the rest of the season.

Reactions: drewjin
Of course I am saddened when we lose games and I certainly hoped for the 'Cats to be better than 1-5 at this point in the season. However, I am more disappointed in all of the negativity I read on this board - peopled bemoaning the state of the program, criticizing Fitz, and calling for heads to roll. Shame on all of you! We just won the Big 10 West Division last year, beating every team in the division. We won a bowl game against Utah, a very good team from the Pac 12. Our program has never had the long-term success that it has enjoyed under Fitz and this coaching staff; and please do not under-estimate the role of the head coach in convincing the university to build the new practice facility. Our graduation rates are stellar and our student-athletes' behaviors are exemplars for the entire nation.
Many of us stated during the off-season that this would be a rebuilding year. Our expectations were only confirmed this past summer in conversations with the coaches and others close to the program. We knew we would have inexperienced QBs, an OL breaking in three new guys who did not play well last year as backups, a need to replace our best cover corner and our best LB in pass coverage, as well as the heart of our interior DL. Then we lost our most experienced QB, our top RB, and our best WR in the first game of the year. Some of our best talent is at least a year away from making real contributions. We have to be patient - which should not be so hard to do as we bask in the recent successes this coaching staff has provided and contemplate what this team will look like in a year or two.
I have posted many times that in our good years I expect us to win our share of divisional and conference titles and in our down years for us to be competitive. We all hope for our "down" years to be 6-6 or even 7-5 seasons. This one still could be. But, NU is in this for the long haul - and so is Fitz and so am I.
Your description of things is not accurate. What we are witnessing is not acceptable under any excuse. Nobody can stop you from your negativity by refusing to look up at the scoreboard, and your view only incites something less than excellence, which is, after all, what Fitz said he is shooting for.

The reality that you deny is that Fitz is letting us and the players down by not addressing GLARING problems of the offense.

At any rate, me and you can disagree but we aren't on the field. I can't imagine anyone on the offensive side of the ball, who has options, would stick around. It's brutal to watch and admittedly I could only tolerate one half. Let alone a player on the sidelines. Must be extremely painful.,

I would not care if I only knew how.

Like, lifted from Friedrich: Can an ass be tragic? To be crushed by a burden it can neither bear nor throw off? The plight of an NU sports fan...
To quote Eric Hoffer "Our frustration is greater when we have something and want more than we have nothing and want some."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT