ADVERTISEMENT

Nevermind. It’s as bad as it seemed. Time for Fitz to put on his big boy pants

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
First and foremost, Fitz needs to send a message. Our coaching staff is soft and complacent, and our team plays poorly. There are still 8 games left in this season. Let’s see who wants to coach in Evanston.

JON should be gone Monday. His defense has never worked, we gave up yet another career day to a RB and LOST TO A MAC TEAM WITHOUT A QUARTERBACK. This is not a #%^ing joke. JON gone. Thank you for your 16 games of service.

Then Fitz should promote McGarigle to interim DC and personally coach our LBs. We need drastic change on that side of the ball.

I also bet that getting rid of our worst coach (JON) will serve notice to the rest of our staff that no one is untouchable. There are 8 games to see who really wants to coach and live in Evanston.

Springer needs to retire or get gone. If our special teams don’t turn around, then Genyk needs to be demoted or also get gone. Bajakian also needs a jumpstart.

Anderson, Smith, and almost every other position coach need to step it up a notch. Get us back to some semblance of 2020 competence.

Our team looks lost out there, because our coaches are lost. And these pathetic seasons will keep piling up if Fitz has lost his touch and isn’t the right head coach for the NIL age of football.

Everyone keep in mind: we’re all entering a brand new era for college football. Super conferences are looming. We certainly don’t look like we belong in them.

Fitz was unwilling to make the tough call last December, and this was preordained. So why get upset about any of it?
It’s a game played by 18-23 year olds. I’m not upset beyond what it means to be upset as a fan; which means this is simply a miserable distraction from my real life (which is awesome).

But Jesus please us. What a pathetic product we have on the field for the fortune that’s been invested. At what point does it reflect poorly on our college’s brand to accommodate this crap?

Well, if you go back far enough, you will recall that I don’t see a long term future for NU in superconference football.

And, honestly, I’m not thrilled with the changes to the sport itself.

So I’m trying to enjoy what is left.

Also, I wasn’t trying to imply that you were inordinately upset. I just don’t see a reason for anyone to get too worked up about things now. It is too late.

First and foremost, Fitz needs to send a message. Our coaching staff is soft and complacent, and our team plays poorly. There are still 8 games left in this season. Let’s see who wants to coach in Evanston.

JON should be gone Monday. His defense has never worked, we gave up yet another career day to a RB and LOST TO A MAC TEAM WITHOUT A QUARTERBACK. This is not a #%^ing joke. JON gone. Thank you for your 16 games of service.

Then Fitz should promote McGarigle to interim DC and personally coach our LBs. We need drastic change on that side of the ball.

I also bet that getting rid of our worst coach (JON) will serve notice to the rest of our staff that no one is untouchable. There are 8 games to see who really wants to coach and live in Evanston.

Springer needs to retire or get gone. If our special teams don’t turn around, then Genyk needs to be demoted or also get gone. Bajakian also needs a jumpstart.

Anderson, Smith, and almost every other position coach need to step it up a notch. Get us back to some semblance of 2020 competence.

Our team looks lost out there, because our coaches are lost. And these pathetic seasons will keep piling up if Fitz has lost his touch and isn’t the right head coach for the NIL age of football.

Everyone keep in mind: we’re all entering a brand new era for college football. Super conferences are looming. We certainly don’t look like we belong in them.
I'm super confused by why everyone is putting this game on JON and not on Bajakian. Miami scored 17 points and 7 of them were on a five yard drive.

The Cats are losing because they are turning the ball over way too much. I have no particular affinity for JON, but that's not on the DC.

I'm super confused by why everyone is putting this game on JON and not on Bajakian. Miami scored 17 points and 7 of them were on a five yard drive.

The Cats are losing because they are turning the ball over way too much. I have no particular affinity for JON, but that's not on the DC.
We gave up another record day to Miami’s RB, which was the difference. Did you notice their QB could not throw the ball? Did you also see them pound the ball down our throats on the game winning drive?

Jake showed competence during the 2020 season. Let’s let him close out the season. Genyk too has earned 8 more games.

JON has shown little competence, if any. We need to change something quickly.

Reactions: cattul
We gave up another record day to Miami’s RB, which was the difference. Did you notice their QB could not throw the ball? Yet they pounded the ball down our throat on the game winning drive?

Jake showed competence during the 2020 season. Let’s let him close out the season. Genyk too has earned 8 more games.

What was the record he broke?

We gave up another record day to Miami’s RB, which was the difference. Did you notice their QB could not throw the ball? Did you also see them pound the ball down our throats on the game winning drive?

Seems more like the defense couldn't tackle. Even when we caught them behind the line of scrimmage, they would gain 3-4 yards.

Reactions: drewjin
Fitz is clueless. When we’ve sucked in the past he at least came across as having a grasp on things - ‘embrace the suck’ etc. He appears to be completely bamboozled by what’s happening with this team and that is the biggest sign of all that perhaps it’s time.

Miami's offense was a mess. They had a hard time just getting plays in and they picked up a lot of penalties. They lost their star QB and couldn't pass. The final score just doesn't tell the story.

Agree that the turnovers we're brutal and patience is wearing thin on Bajakian. He at least had a good resume, and he inherited a tire fire, but this mess is on him too.

When a team is bad and poorly coach this is what you get.When we took the lead 14-7 I thought we had finally seized momentum.Then within a blink of an eye we give up a gigantic run cause both our linebackers are just not reading the play again for the millionth time this season and the rest is history.
It is just not one area it is the whole team.
As far as being angry or upset when something is not in your control you have to put that in your perspective.This is on Fitz and NU to correct.Hell we have some games coming up I probably won’t get past halftime watching.We will see if the powers that be get this train wreck back on track.
For me I am going to take my better half out for breakfast in a couple of hours and enjoy the day.Let Fitz and the AD worry about the rest.Thay are making a helluva lot more than most if not all of us on this board.It is up to them.

Fitz is clueless. When we’ve sucked in the past he at least came across as having a grasp on things - ‘embrace the suck’ etc. He appears to be completely bamboozled by what’s happening with this team and that is the biggest sign of all that perhaps it’s time.
This is my biggest concern. In the past there was something to hang your hat on (good defense, few penalties, don’t turn the ball over). The past 2 seasons, everything has been terrible. The look on Fitz’s face at the end was of a man who has no clue what to do. Things are really bad.

When a team is bad and poorly coach this is what you get.When we took the lead 14-7 I thought we had finally seized momentum.Then within a blink of an eye we give up a gigantic run cause both our linebackers are just not reading the play again for the millionth time this season and the rest is history.
It is just not one area it is the whole team.
As far as being angry or upset when something is not in your control you have to put that in your perspective.This is on Fitz and NU to correct.Hell we have some games coming up I probably won’t get past halftime watching.We will see if the powers that be get this train wreck back on track.
For me I am going to take my better half out for breakfast in a couple of hours and enjoy the day.Let Fitz and the AD worry about the rest.Thay are making a helluva lot more than most if not all of us on this board.It is up to them.
Oh yea. I’m not angry, but I am disappointed. Just needed to vent a bit after spending my Saturday evening watching that hot mess play out just like before.

I’m going to do my best to put NUFB out of my mind aside from when I’m watching them play.

I left with 2 minutes left. I just...gave up. I knew they would score and I didn't want my wife to get caught in the rain walking to the car. Heavy rain all the way back home (2hour drive).

Too old for this BS
I left at 6 minutes left. I actually considered leaving at half time like I did with SIU..

Our defense was solid yesterday! Blocked punt and one missed tackle was the difference

Our defense was solid yesterday! Blocked punt and one missed tackle was the difference

I generally agree. I thought our D competed hard, and it was good to see more guys on the DL get in: Butler, Pate and more (not enough) of Story. Adebawore had another dominant game, and Ryan Johnson caused trouble for Miami all game. We were blitzing CoCo, Mueller and Heard frequently, and they were causing damage.... but also missing the tackle in the backfield and getting burned. But we took some shots.

Most of all, our LBs killed us again. We couldn't tackle that smurf back. That damn blocked punt before the half, and that long run on the last drive killed us. We probably win without that long run. So frustrating. I feel for the players. They gotta be pulling their damn hair out.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosboot
I generally agree. I thought our D competed hard, and it was good to see more guys on the DL get in: Butler, Pate and more (not enough) of Story. Ryan Johnson caused trouble for Miami.

But our LBs killed us again. We couldn't tackle that smurf back. That damn blocked punt before the half, and that long run on the last drive. We probably win without that long run.
The only reason the D looked decent is because Demry Croft redux was Miami's QB. Miami coach finally woke up and said 'wow we can't pass a lick but they can't tackle. Let's run it every play. '

Acting like this is a surprise is kind of BS on NU fans. All of the evidence has been here. Arrogantly bad coaching, player underdevelopment, and a fan-base that refuses to hold this coach accountable. NEWS FLASH-There is no team in the B1G that will allow their team to lose to the Wildcats this year. Period.

If I'm 3rd or 2nd string at PSU, Maryland, Iowa, IL, Wisconsin, MN(or an OSU walk-on); I'm telling my parents and girlfriend to come to the game that week because I am definitely playing no later than the 3rd quarter.

One last part. Like it our not the "losing" culture is back at NU. If you joined the team in 2019, most of what you know is losing except for the 2020 mini-season. Losing lately is NOT an anomaly IT IS A TREND.

Last edited:

The linebacker coach can't seem to get any linebacker play and you want him to coach the entire defense?

He had a career high for carries and yards against us. 21 carries for 171 yards - that’s over 8 yards a carry. So he broke his personal record against us, like many do.

We knew they couldn’t throw the ball… and we let him beat us. Absolutely unacceptable yet again. JON has to go.
And yet they scored the same number or points they scored against Cincy (who just housed Indiana) and close to the same number of points they scored against Kentucky. And that's with one drive that started on the NU 8.

If going into the game, you knew that they were going to score 17 points, you would have thought it would be a Northwestern win.

The last drive for Miami was a bad reflection on the defense and, in particular, their ability to tackle.

But the game was lost primarily on offense with turnovers and missed opportunities.

Last edited:
Well, if you go back far enough, you will recall that I don’t see a long term future for NU in superconference football.

And, honestly, I’m not thrilled with the changes to the sport itself.

So I’m trying to enjoy what is left.

Also, I wasn’t trying to imply that you were inordinately upset. I just don’t see a reason for anyone to get too worked up about things now. It is too late.
When it's all about the money and nothing more, the party will be over. This is true with film and music as well. The super conferences will crush the smaller schools. The NU administration will come out looking like idiots for all the investment they have made into sports. I know the majority of the $$$$$ was from donations, but you would have thought they would have been privy on how things were going. U of C did the right thing way back in the day. NU needed to invest in sports 30 years ago and build the.program then. They were very late to the party and have missed out. They burned $$$$$$ that should have been used as a rainy day fund, etc.

• Love
Oh yea. I’m not angry, but I am disappointed. Just needed to vent a bit after spending my Saturday evening watching that hot mess play out just like before.

I’m going to do my best to put NUFB out of my mind aside from when I’m watching them play.
Hang in there brother.I feel the exact same way as you.We have gone from the highest of highs the win in Dublin to the lowest of lows the results of the last three weeks.
When you have your starting QB calling out guys not by name,but saying we have guys not hustling.Trying to get their assignments down.That is on the coaches.If not before than surely soon after last night's game Fitz was hit with a reality check.We will see what changes are made.Saying this as a Fitz fan a little humility will go along way in getting us back on track.When you are winning you can get away with a condescending attitude.When you start losing that attitude wears thin very quickly.

This is my biggest concern. In the past there was something to hang your hat on (good defense, few penalties, don’t turn the ball over). The past 2 seasons, everything has been terrible. The look on Fitz’s face at the end was of a man who has no clue what to do. Things are really bad.
Well, if he had no clue on what to do, then I'm thinking he needs to be replaced. Do you? Others?

When it's all about the money and nothing more, the party will be over. This is true with film and music as well. The super conferences will crush the smaller schools. The NU administration will come out looking like idiots for all the investment they have made into sports. I know the majority of the $$$$$ was from donations, but you would have thought they would have been privy on how things were going. U of C did the right thing way back in the day. NU needed to invest in sports 30 years ago and build the.program then. They were very late to the party and have missed out. They burned $$$$$$ that should have been used as a rainy day fund, etc.

I don't agree with this, *but* it's up to the university to pull certain people into a room and discuss strategy.

The ONE advantage I see for us with the Transfer Portal is that (I would hope) Admissions is more inclined to take a transfer who has demonstrated academic success at the college level.

Is Admissions willing to take a kid from a football factory who has a 3.0 after two semesters? Is that enough evidence of "college readiness" for them? And if the answer is yes...will Fitz, Ryan, and a few other key players be willing to lean into NIL-related garbage or will they die on the hill of amateurism and principles that everyone else sold out on a year ago?

If the NU brass in Admissions, Athletics, and the key donors aren't willing to achieve consensus here and acknowledge that college sports are changing seismically, then I would say, unequivocally, we are doomed.

Well, if he had no clue on what to do, then I'm thinking he needs to be replaced. Do you? Others?
Good question. I think Fitz is a good CEO (motivator, culture, non-football related stuff). He is not a good Xs and Os and has been fortunate to have had an all timer in Hank. He needs to reset his philosophy, in terms of offense and he needs to fire JON today. That would be a start

One constant in business is change.If NU does not adapt and yes embrace change then they will be behind the eight ball big time.Will be interesting to see what the university adopts as their model heading forward.

Reactions: Jaguar 88
I don't agree with this, *but* it's up to the university to pull certain people into a room and discuss strategy.

The ONE advantage I see for us with the Transfer Portal is that (I would hope) Admissions is more inclined to take a transfer who has demonstrated academic success at the college level.

Is Admissions willing to take a kid from a football factory who has a 3.0 after two semesters? Is that enough evidence of "college readiness" for them? And if the answer is yes...will Fitz, Ryan, and a few other key players be willing to lean into NIL-related garbage or will they die on the hill of amateurism and principles that everyone else sold out on a year ago?

If the NU brass in Admissions, Athletics, and the key donors aren't willing to achieve consensus here and acknowledge that college sports are changing seismically, then I would say, unequivocally, we are doomed.
I think they did achieve some sort of consensus, but we're very late to the party. The investment should have happened in the early 2000's at the latest. Can't really blame anyone, just the way things unfolded. Once CFB was pulling in a billion a year, the moneyed interests took over. Most of the playoff committee members are corporate folks, not university administration, or NCAA people. That is all you need to know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT