ADVERTISEMENT

New college league will pay players

I'm trying to make sense of it? It sounds more like it is a professional league that requires the players to actively be going to college

Doubt it can survive. College sports is successful because of the link people have to their particular school. Why watch a “professional college league” when there’s already the NBA?

Wonder if the financial model relies more on "transfer fees" or similar - selling player rights to the NBA and other leagues - than TV or other income? Isn't this similar to the European model? I could see something like this as attractive to many players.

Wonder if the financial model relies more on "transfer fees" or similar - selling player rights to the NBA and other leagues - than TV or other income? Isn't this similar to the European model? I could see something like this as attractive to many players.

The European model differs in that any team from any league can make their way up the ranks to the top league if they keep winning in the previous league. That will never grab hold here because of union rules, inventmentents, etc. No franchise will allow itself to be relagated to the G-League (as a result of having the worst record). There’s too many money trails that would cause lots of headaches if we ever tried a relegation/promotion system. And now, the G-League is basically a farm system where every NBA team owns rights to certain players/teams (similar to MLB), so there’s no point in that type of system anyway.

The European model differs in that any team from any league can make their way up the ranks to the top league if they keep winning in the previous league. That will never grab hold here because of union rules, inventmentents, etc. No franchise will allow itself to be relagated to the G-League (as a result of having the worst record). There’s too many money trails that would cause lots of headaches if we ever tried a relegation/promotion system. And now, the G-League is basically a farm system where every NBA team owns rights to certain players/teams (similar to MLB), so there’s no point in that type of system anyway.
Really was referring more to the developmental aspects of European club teams and an entire infrastructure that does not rely on college leagues. In the US we think primarily of the NBA but it is a big world of basketball out their desirous of US players. If a player can improve developmentally, get exposure to international scouts and at the same time earn a salary, why not?

Really was referring more to the developmental aspects of European club teams and an entire infrastructure that does not rely on college leagues. In the US we think primarily of the NBA but it is a big world of basketball out their desirous of US players. If a player can improve developmentally, get exposure to international scouts and at the same time earn a salary, why not?

Well, it has to be financially viable. If nobody watches, it can’t sustain itself.

Well, it has to be financially viable. If nobody watches, it can’t sustain itself.
Right, but would a model based at least partially on transfer fees or say a percentage of future earnings work? If the league had good ball wouldn't a lot of players take that bet to see how it works out after a few years? With the salaries the successful players make it might be possible. I saw an article where investors are fronting players. If that is their model, the league concept would take it to another level.

Right, but would a model based at least partially on transfer fees or say a percentage of future earnings work? If the league had good ball wouldn't a lot of players take that bet to see how it works out after a few years? With the salaries the successful players make it might be possible. I saw an article where investors are fronting players. If that is their model, the league concept would take it to another level.

It’s a possibility. I just think it will be difficult for them since the G-League already exists for the same purpose, and lots of college players who aren’t quite ready for the NBA would rather play on tv in front of packed college arenas rather than empty gyms.

Just pay the employees!

ADVERTISEMENT