ADVERTISEMENT

New Commit - Caleb Tiernan

Caleb Tiernan - OL 6’8” 260 4*

I guess I'll be the jerk who writes what perhaps many of us have been thinking. We who are largely ignorant of the young men whom the coaches are recruiting have to rely on their offer lists and star ratings to assess our recruiting progress, all the while knowing that doing so is very problematic. We want to trust our coaches implicitly; but we worry about the effects of a down year, the changes in the coaching staff, and the ability of teenagers to remember our West Division crown from just 2018, not to mention the years of relative success that preceded it. Those worries were only compounded by the commitments of two promising athletes who garnered little attention from the pundits and other Power Five schools. This third commitment confirms our confidence in our recruiting process - the first two commitments now seem more like diamonds in the rough than premature reaches. Of course, nothing really has changed other than the perception of ignorant fans such as I. Yet, I feel significantly better after receiving this commitment. A big welcome to all three young men. Go 'Cats!

Reactions: JVENETOS and Rebel_
I guess I'll be the jerk who writes what perhaps many of us have been thinking. We who are largely ignorant of the young men whom the coaches are recruiting have to rely on their offer lists and star ratings to assess our recruiting progress, all the while knowing that doing so is very problematic. We want to trust our coaches implicitly; but we worry about the effects of a down year, the changes in the coaching staff, and the ability of teenagers to remember our West Division crown from just 2018, not to mention the years of relative success that preceded it. Those worries were only compounded by the commitments of two promising athletes who garnered little attention from the pundits and other Power Five schools. This third commitment confirms our confidence in our recruiting process - the first two commitments now seem more like diamonds in the rough than premature reaches. Of course, nothing really has changed other than the perception of ignorant fans such as I. Yet, I feel significantly better after receiving this commitment. A big welcome to all three young men. Go 'Cats!

We beat out Ohio State and Michigan for this kid. That's huge. Maybe now we start getting recruits like Dan Voltz . . .

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much: There are morons out there who just released entire podcasts devoted to the concept that we weren't going to land this type of recruit this year;)

YEAH !!! Welcome to NU.

Here is the stud Left OT that you said we were missing! @GOUNUII

Things are looking good.

Spot on DaCat. Tiernan projects to make everybody else on the OL better ... much better. We’ve gone from making do with a chassis of mostly sub compact GM parts bin components to now building one with air craft carrier strength and engineering.

Unbelievable impact Anderson has had. Everything and more we could have hoped for.

People are taking notice.

GOUNUII

Spot on DaCat. Tiernan projects to make everybody else on the OL better ... much better. We’ve gone from making do with a chassis of mostly sub compact GM parts bin components to now building one with air craft carrier strength and engineering.

Unbelievable impact Anderson has had. Everything and more we could have hoped for.

People are taking notice.

GOUNUII
I would also add the impact we have had from Coach Genyk joining the staff. Think about our recruiting the last year or so in Michigan, Florida, and Tennessee

How about another 4 star OT? Logan Taylor, all 6’9” and 295 lbs of him, sure would look good on the opposite of Tiernan. Can you say bookends?
Coral, I hope you are doing well. Your dude Anderson has made an impact in recruiting as you said he would. Do you think we actually have a chance for Taylor? That would be huge. I have felt that our OL recruiting was downright awful the last 10 years but right now, it's kinda nuts because we are going from suck OL recruiting to "Top" tier. Usually there is a curve to climb.
This is a great type of bizarre and how one coach can make a huge difference. Same thing sorta happened in Kentucky. All of the sudden they are getting stud OL who are going there instead of OSU, Alabama, Michigan.

These OL recruits can not be taken lightly, this is huge for the program and maybe offer some immediate gains on the field.

Anderson’s impact on recruiting has been astonishing. I trust—but the Russian in me awaits game day verification —that he will equally good at player development and creating a disciplined, cohesive unit.

Anderson’s impact on recruiting has been astonishing. I trust—but the Russian in me awaits game day verification —that he will equally good at player development and creating a disciplined, cohesive unit.

The correlation between recruiting better players and better on-field performance is quite astonishing.

The most important byproduct of great o line recruitment and performance will be top qb’s and running backs wanting to play behind it.

wr will get more time to run routes.

Reactions: runawayCat
Josh Priebe too -- 30 offers including Michigan, dOSU, Auburn, Iowa, MSU, Minny, Neb, Duke ...

There was a nice graphic that showed the cross offers of NU players, anyone know where to find? Been a long time since we pulled anyone with an offer from OSU, and this makes three in the past two years (Priebe, Skoronski, Tiernan). Anyone else last few years get commitable offers from them? Did Terah ever get an offer?

There was a nice graphic that showed the cross offers of NU players, anyone know where to find? Been a long time since we pulled anyone with an offer from OSU, and this makes three in the past two years (Priebe, Skoronski, Tiernan). Anyone else last few years get commitable offers from them? Did Terah ever get an offer?

We would be a Top 10 recruiting machine if we just took prospects across every position that were on OSU’s offer board, but not among their first choices. Equal to or better than the Michigans and PSUs and NDs of college recruiting. Stanford would be a distant speck in our rear view mirror.

Priebe, Skoronski and Tiernan fit that description. Outstanding prospects. Good enough to play for the Bucks. Realistic NFL aspirations. But not among the most freakish that OSU prioritizes. What they and Bama, Georgia, Clemson and LSU are doing in recruiting is a qualitative universe - top to bottom - above the rest of the Country.

GOUNUII

We would be a Top 10 recruiting machine if we just took prospects across every position that were on OSU’s offer board, but not among their first choices. Equal to or better than the Michigans and PSUs and NDs of college recruiting. Stanford would be a distant speck in our rear view mirror.

Priebe, Skoronski and Tiernan fit that description. Outstanding prospects. Good enough to play for the Bucks. Realistic NFL aspirations. But not among the most freakish that OSU prioritizes. What they and Bama, Georgia, Clemson and LSU are doing in recruiting is a qualitative universe - top to bottom - above the rest of the Country.

GOUNUII

Yes; those five are above and beyond the rest. Oklahoma & Oregon might be #6 & #7.

This is such a great addition to the 2021 class. Welcome, Caleb!

It's going to be fascinating to see how this recruiting class shapes up. Will local recruits stay closer to home (hi
Jeremiah Pittman, Mac Uihlein, Benjamin Perry)? Will NU's value proposition -- think about the next 40 years, not the next 4 -- resonate more in the COVID-19 era, with some analysts doubting next year's football season will even happen? Will NU be hurt by not being able to show off the Fitz Carlton?

That is why we can likely pick the National Championship winner for the next decade.
Not as hard as it used to be when the choices are only OSU, Clemson, Alabama, LSU. At any rate, you can toss out pretty much all conferences and only include those 4 teams for the immediate future. I wouldn't even include Okie since they just get spanked every year now in the playoffs. Over the next 5 years, it's pretty safe to assume that Alabama wins half of the NC. Clemson wins one or maybe 2. And OSU or LSU fight over another.

This is such a great addition to the 2021 class. Welcome, Caleb!

It's going to be fascinating to see how this recruiting class shapes up. Will local recruits stay closer to home (hi
Jeremiah Pittman, Mac Uihlein, Benjamin Perry)? Will NU's value proposition -- think about the next 40 years, not the next 4 -- resonate more in the COVID-19 era, with some analysts doubting next year's football season will even happen? Will NU be hurt by not being able to show off the Fitz Carlton?

Called it on Mac Uihlein :)

Reactions: drewjin and DaCat
I have felt that our OL recruiting was downright awful the last 10 years but right now, it's kinda nuts because we are going from suck OL recruiting to "Top" tier.

In terms of offers/* ratings, the 'Cats have gotten a decent # of O-line recruits w/ other P5 offers/3* rating.

From what I remember (from the past 5-6 years), would say maybe on par w/ Iowa and better than Minny, but they have had better O-lines (sometimes way better).

Even IU has had better O-lines (and sent O-linemen to the NFL) and they usually have been behind NU in recruiting.

In terms of offers/* ratings, the 'Cats have gotten a decent # of O-line recruits w/ other P5 offers/3* rating.

From what I remember (from the past 5-6 years), would say maybe on par w/ Iowa and better than Minny, but they have had better O-lines (sometimes way better).

Even IU has had better O-lines (and sent O-linemen to the NFL) and they usually have been behind NU in recruiting.

Saying our OL recruiting has been on par with Iowa over the past (5-6) years is a bit of stretch.

Up until the last year or so that is a stretch. IA has constantly been landing guys for OL. And our improved recruiting since Anderson took over has not even been able to get here let along get on the field.

Saying our OL recruiting has been on par with Iowa over the past (5-6) years is a bit of stretch.

Up until the last year or so that is a stretch. IA has constantly been landing guys for OL. And our improved recruiting since Anderson took over has not even been able to get here let along get on the field.

By recruiting rankings, it's not a stretch...

2016-2019 classes Rivals ratings

NU - 5.6, 5.6, 5.5, 5.5, 5.6, 5.6, 5.6, 5.4, 5.6, 5.6, 5.5, 5.6, 5.5., 5.5, 5.6

IA - 5.5, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 5.8, 5.6, 5.6, 5.7, 5.5, 5.6, 5.6

Only 4* OL recruit Iowa got during those 4 years was Wirfs, and they also spent fewer scholarships for the O-line (11 compared to 15).

Now, think one can definitely say that they've done a better job developing their O-linemen.

Hey Glades -

Guess that diamonds-in-the-rough doesn't apply to O-linemen.

If the 'Cats had been mostly recruiting 2* and low 3* for the O-line, shouldn't they still have a couple that have gone on to the NFL?

Posted that from recollection of not seeing too many 4* recruits in classes for Iowa.

Didn't include Wisky, b/c they usually get 1 (in rare cases 2) 4* O-linemen a class, but still, it's not like they get classes full of 4* O-linemen like dOSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT