ADVERTISEMENT

New commits

PZAZ

Jul 5, 2014
I note that the last two predictions on 247 for Aaron Young are no longer Rutgers but NU. In other words, he moved from 100% Rutgers to now more NU. Don't know the chances of landing him, Hooper-Price, DeBerry and Jackson and perhaps another lineman (D or O). If we got three of those, we'll have another good class - perhaps our highest overall rating ever despite not having any 4 star players (though I'm increasing impressed with the caliber of recruits we're getting - Fitz clearly knows how to evaluate).

I note that the last two predictions on 247 for Aaron Young are no longer Rutgers but NU. In other words, he moved from 100% Rutgers to now more NU. Don't know the chances of landing him, Hooper-Price, DeBerry and Jackson and perhaps another lineman (D or O). If we got three of those, we'll have another good class - perhaps our highest overall rating ever despite not having any 4 star players (though I'm increasing impressed with the caliber of recruits we're getting - Fitz clearly knows how to evaluate).

DeBerry is probably out unless we take another DB. Price, Young, and another late take on offense would be great.

Looks like Jackson is going to Virginia

Seeing how D is carrying Michigan so much, and has carried us too, I wouldn't be surprised if Fitz took another dback and another lineman - perhaps a late decommit from another place?

Seeing how D is carrying Michigan so much, and has carried us too, I wouldn't be surprised if Fitz took another dback and another lineman - perhaps a late decommit from another place?

Would much rather take speed and size on offense.

I would guess more like three, plus some possible medical DQs. One of the spots is probably earmarked for Bergin.

Some guys have simply been recruited over.

If there are any extras they will probably go to guys like Bergin and Green.

I’m thinking four...are you including Hiller?

Hiller? He would be a medical DQ but I thought he was back on the field earlier this year. As far as 5th year guys not coming back, there is one clear cut candidate in my opinion. There are 3 more candidates (1 WR and 2 DBs) that I can think of but they are experienced guys who could easily see the field next year if injuries happen in front of them. At minimum they would be valuable special teams contributers. I'd be hesitant to cut those guys loose.

Hiller? He would be a medical DQ but I thought he was back on the field earlier this year. As far as 5th year guys not coming back, there is one clear cut candidate in my opinion. There are 3 more candidates (1 WR and 2 DBs) that I can think of but they are experienced guys who could easily see the field next year if injuries happen in front of them. At minimum they would be valuable special teams contributers. I'd be hesitant to cut those guys loose.
If you recruit well enough, I think you can replace players that would be 5th year Seniors but are third string on the depth chart.

If you recruit well enough, I think you can replace players that would be 5th year Seniors but are third string on the depth chart.

Perhaps over the course of their careers but when it comes to next season there are a few guys that I think are good enough to keep and provide experienced depth. Scanlan was a good example of a guy who did nothing in the first 4 years of his career and was a solid contributor as a WR when he surprisingly was asked back for a 5th year.

Perhaps over the course of their careers but when it comes to next season there are a few guys that I think are good enough to keep and provide experienced depth. Scanlan was a good example of a guy who did nothing in the first 4 years of his career and was a solid contributor as a WR when he surprisingly was asked back for a 5th year.
Are you in favor of asking the 3 you alluded to back for a fifth year? I assume this is primarily a staff decision. They all seem like good kids to have around, but it’s a big business.

Are you in favor of asking the 3 you alluded to back for a fifth year? I assume this is primarily a staff decision. They all seem like good kids to have around, but it’s a big business.
This year or last year may be the last year NU can afford to keep 5th year non contributors in the face of a new 4 year contributor. The new facility changes the calculus of recruiting and retention.

Reactions: Pukecat
If we get Young and Hooper-Price, I feel like this class has the chance to be Fitz's most productive class from top to bottom ever. On paper, most of these recruits look like immediate and long-term impact players across the board for most units.

Of course some look considerably more ready to play at this level (Young, Kirtz, Hooper-Price), while others like Franks has a sky-high ceiling but looks raw.

This is the kind of class that can really anchor a couple of years for us if we can get most of these recruits to hit their potential.

If we get Young and Hooper-Price, I feel like this class has the chance to be Fitz's most productive class from top to bottom ever. On paper, most of these recruits look like immediate and long-term impact players across the board for most units.

Of course some look considerably more ready to play at this level (Young, Kirtz, Hooper-Price), while others like Franks has a sky-high ceiling but looks raw.

This is the kind of class that can really anchor a couple of years for us if we can get most of these recruits to hit their potential.

Ain’t getting Young.

Reactions: zeek55

Young committed to MSU tonight.

Reactions: zeek55
Wow, so much for the crystal ball, the stupidest feature in sports media. They should rename it the "Revisable Shot in the Dark."

Sucks to lose out. Hope there's another RB on the board we don't know about yet. As this year is showing, no such thing as too many.

Still waiting for that big, dramatic boost from the new facility.

Recruiting is like a set of flows. The new facilities bring us up to par with the best in the nation, and thus increases the likelihood that we can recruit more elite athletes across the board.

But like anything else, there's a lot of variables that go into any single recruit's decision (i.e. typically most recruits prefer to stay close to home, less than 300 miles of travel, but some don't, some dream of playing for a specific school, some have family ties to specific schools, some want the best path to the NFL, some want great academics, etc.).

This facility will probably result in us getting some more elite recruits than we would have otherwise gotten over time:

It'd be great if we could notice the impacts quickly starting with the 2020 class, but most likely it's only really going to be noticeable over a half-decade span or longer; i.e. if you compare the combined 2020-2024 classes to the 2015-2019 classes, you should notice some positive differences.

ADVERTISEMENT