ADVERTISEMENT

New Stadium timing and ideas

charcat

Apr 11, 2006
I have seen nothing in the news since the September announcement of the Ryan donation supporting a new stadium project. Does anyone have any insights on the following questions.

1) Timing of the project? Seems like 2023 season will be somewhere else?
2) Alternative locations for us to play? Soldiers Field, Wrigley?
3) Target stadium seating size?
4) Deck on both sides?
5) other amenities?
6). Where do you locate students and Band in a reconfiguration?
7). What other college stadiums might be good models for us to consider. Don’t say Stanford…that stadium has no charm and lots of end zone seats.

Any thoughts on what might be interesting to include?

I have seen nothing in the news since the September announcement of the Ryan donation supporting a new stadium project. Does anyone have any insights on the following questions.

4) Deck on both sides?
5) other amenities?
7). What other college stadiums might be good models for us to consider. Don’t say Stanford…that stadium has no charm and lots of end zone seats.

Yawn

4) Deck on both sides?
5) other amenities?

Lots going on behind the scenes. Not at liberty to post on the free board.

• Haha
Reactions: phatcat
UAB's new stadium is very nice. $200 mil.
Colorado State and San Diego State have new stadiums.

Nothing like your butt stuck to a cold aluminum bench for three hours on a beautiful Autumn evening under stadium lighting a bit brighter than a full moon. At Northwestern we call that home field advantage.
you could rent a seat back. and go to day games (my preference). and eat at Mustard's prior to coming in. and....

It's hard to get to many games due to distance/family conflicts/now COVID, but I came last year to the Rutgers game and never left my seat (except to cheer).

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
That is a beautiful, still very workable old stadium. I wonder if the old handball courts are still in there.
I like the design. I would make the stands hug the field for a loud venue. You can put a ton of modern upgrades as well, and get the Wrigley vibe. Just a thought......

I like the design. I would make the stands hug the field for a loud venue. You can put a ton of modern upgrades as well, and get the Wrigley vibe. Just a thought......
The Eagles played there for a season or so while a new stadium was being build, and it proved a worthy venue.

Reactions: NUChicago
Definitely the Eagles, but also possibly the Eagles.
I mean the arches are even there that match our style, would also blend in well with the neighborhood, and not be an obnoxious upper deck.

I mean the arches are even there that match our style, would also blend in well with the neighborhood, and not be an obnoxious upper deck.
It's a 52,000 capacity stadium. No reason there couldn't be a food concourse at the top of the lower deck that goes all around the stadium. This is a similar plan to Huntington Bank Stadium, whose capacity is 51,000, which is more in line with expected capacity. although has a larger outside footprint I believe, to accomodate the food concourse, and perhaps since the site wasn't as restrictive as at Ryan.. These are two of the stadiums they should be looking at.

Reactions: NUChicago
NUCHICAGO...love the idea of hugging the field...like Kinnick Stadium at Iowa....never been closer to the action..I can still see and hear Darnel Autry....steamrolling an Iowa Db ...endzone seats had to be no more than 5 yards from the end line...whatever they do empasize the opportunity for NU fans and students to be a factor.

I think there are some great models to follow that will make the venue unique.

NUCHICAGO...love the idea of hugging the field...like Kinnick Stadium at Iowa....never been closer to the action..I can still see and hear Darnel Autry....steamrolling an Iowa Db ...endzone seats had to be no more than 5 yards from the end line...whatever they do empasize the opportunity for NU fans and students to be a factor.
I was at that game also end zone seats about 10 rows back. Were you in the end where we had a grim reaper in Northwestern garb? My host that day was a neutral fan/friend that had moved to Iowa (way before I moved there in 07), and it got cold enough that I felt guilty and we left about halfway through Q4.

I've had many successful / funny trips to Kinnick, including the Brad Phillips year where this guy tossed me some purple beads, so I raised my shirt for him. He and friends roared with laughter.

Reactions: Ryanfield124
Just some thoughts that don't really mean anything (slow day)...

*I don't love it when I see a track surrounding a football field...just feels very budget-minded. Not as bad as baseball/football field hybrids, but not my cup of tea.

*In an era where live event attendance seems to be spiraling downward (which was happening pre-COVID), part of me wonders if we could spin this into an advantage on our part - make it a point of pride that Ryan Field is a deliberately small, intimate environment - we're 15 years into the Fitz experiment and we're still not averaging more than 35K or so...wondering out loud if we could engineer a structure similar to Autzen Stadium - around 50K but notably very loud due to the way it's built. Could also happily compare this to other B1G stadium experiences where you'll pay the same or 4-5x more to have bad sight lines, fight bigger crowds, and park two miles away...or come to Ryan Field where everyone gets a VIP experience.

*I don't love any of our alternate field options but I think I prefer Wrigley to Soldier Field...easier to get to (for me at least). I wonder if it would even be a possibility since we'd be looking to play games in August and September.

A new stadium should be big enough to hold an international size soccer/rugby pitch in case NU can profit from hosting matches in the future

Just some thoughts that don't really mean anything (slow day)...

*I don't love it when I see a track surrounding a football field...just feels very budget-minded. Not as bad as baseball/football field hybrids, but not my cup of tea.

*In an era where live event attendance seems to be spiraling downward (which was happening pre-COVID), part of me wonders if we could spin this into an advantage on our part - make it a point of pride that Ryan Field is a deliberately small, intimate environment - we're 15 years into the Fitz experiment and we're still not averaging more than 35K or so...wondering out loud if we could engineer a structure similar to Autzen Stadium - around 50K but notably very loud due to the way it's built. Could also happily compare this to other B1G stadium experiences where you'll pay the same or 4-5x more to have bad sight lines, fight bigger crowds, and park two miles away...or come to Ryan Field where everyone gets a VIP experience.

*I don't love any of our alternate field options but I think I prefer Wrigley to Soldier Field...easier to get to (for me at least). I wonder if it would even be a possibility since we'd be looking to play games in August and September.

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I first set sights upon the track around Dyche Stadium. I was even more surprised when I learned we didn’t have a track team. 🤦‍♂️

I think you’re onto something with your second point. A higher percentage of Purple in the stands is a priority. 🤔

Look for a combination of Wrigley, Comiskey and Soldier Field when we are “on the road”. I’m preparing for us to be nomads for two seasons. Hopefully not the case, but considering all the factors involved I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we only miss one season in Evanston. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: NU Houston
I couldn’t believe my eyes when I first set sights upon the track around Dyche Stadium. I was even more surprised when I learned we didn’t have a track team. 🤦‍♂️
NU actually hosted the Big 10 Track & Field championship, in '77 or '78. I was there. Beautiful warm, sunny spring day. Very good running track.

Skybox vs premium seating area? I think our fan base is willing to pay for premium seating/ amenities, but not so sure about sky box demand. Presumable the school will want a “Wilson Club” type experience for those willing to pay. What have you seen at other schools in a football stadium?

Skybox vs premium seating area? I think our fan base is willing to pay for premium seating/ amenities, but not so sure about sky box demand. Presumable the school will want a “Wilson Club” type experience for those willing to pay. What have you seen at other schools in a football stadium?
Willingness to pay is through the roof. Willingness to attend? Naaaah. Purple pride!

I don't expect anyone to know this, but I'll ask anyway: what's the cost difference between a row of actual seats vs. a bleacher row?

This to me, singularly, is an "easy" way to create the image of a premium college football stadium at every level (including/especially at the entry level)...but I'm curious about the cost differential and what the break-even point would be for making a construction choice like this.

I don't expect anyone to know this, but I'll ask anyway: what's the cost difference between a row of actual seats vs. a bleacher row?

This to me, singularly, is an "easy" way to create the image of a premium college football stadium at every level (including/especially at the entry level)...but I'm curious about the cost differential and what the break-even point would be for making a construction choice like this.
Even if they only change the seating from bleachers to seats, it would improve the fan experience tremendously.

Reactions: JT2311
Even if they only change the seating from bleachers to seats, it would improve the fan experience tremendously.
I just think this is a very obvious/easy win in terms of perception of what makes a "nice" stadium.

As a layperson who knows nothing about this stuff, I can't imagine the literal cost of going with seats over bleachers is prohibitive. In my experience stadium seats are generally very durable; I can't remember a time I've ever seen one broken (not saying it doesn't happen, but simply that they seem to hold up)...I'm just wondering out loud what the profit dent would be to make a choice like this and what the break-even point would be. My dream would really be for Ryan Field to be a crown jewel in the Chicagoland sports landscape - the kind of place where everyone speaks highly of it but that includes its affordability...and I still think you could turn Walker Terrance into a standing room/party deck (provided we could get a liquor license for it) if revenue is in any way a concern.

I just think this is a very obvious/easy win in terms of perception of what makes a "nice" stadium.

As a layperson who knows nothing about this stuff, I can't imagine the literal cost of going with seats over bleachers is prohibitive. In my experience stadium seats are generally very durable; I can't remember a time I've ever seen one broken (not saying it doesn't happen, but simply that they seem to hold up)...I'm just wondering out loud what the profit dent would be to make a choice like this and what the break-even point would be. My dream would really be for Ryan Field to be a crown jewel in the Chicagoland sports landscape - the kind of place where everyone speaks highly of it but that includes its affordability...and I still think you could turn Walker Terrance into a standing room/party deck (provided we could get a liquor license for it) if revenue is in any way a concern.

Methinks your going to be happy with the final product (regardless of @stpaulcat ‘s take).

Reactions: Rebel II
A new stadium should be big enough to hold an international size soccer/rugby pitch in case NU can profit from hosting matches in the future
Normally I'd be with you, but leaving the shitty city of Evanston aside for a moment, NU is in Chicago. There's zero reason a prestigious event would be in Evanston rather than one of the larger, more prestigious venues actually in the city.

Mid-sized concerts, HS tournaments etc is much more in line with what makes sense.

The cost difference in seating relates more to the extra square footage of structure required than to the seat cost differential. Also, when proximity to the field and intimacy is desired - which it normally is - having roomy seating works against that. So what is ultimately built is a dance between seat and structure cost, overall stadium space limitations, capacity requirements, sight lines, proximity, judgement as to what is reasonably roomy for a bunch of cheese heads from Wisconsin and how much people are willing to pay for upgraded seating. And you thought it was just the cost difference between a padded plastic seat and an aluminum bench.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT