ADVERTISEMENT

Newsome, I guess he is there.

There is NO better place on the planet for a high school student athlete than IMG Academy. He will be use to the rigors of D1 academics and athletics which will have him best prepared for Northwestern. He will practice and play against the best in the Nation. Iron sharpens Iron.

This kid is the real deal. Strong chance he plays as a freshman.

This kid is the real deal. Strong chance he plays as a freshman.

Going to have to beat out a lot of talent already on the roster to do so. I'm all for him doing so because it would mean he's an excellent player, but it's going to be an uphill battle for Newsome to play as a true freshman.

Going to have to beat out a lot of talent already on the roster to do so. I'm all for him doing so because it would mean he's an excellent player, but it's going to be an uphill battle for Newsome to play as a true freshman.

Not saying he will start, but I think he'll at least make rotation. We are losing a lot at CB. We do have some talent waiting in the wings. Anxious to see RoCamp this year, although he looks to be a back up now with the senior talent. Excellent looking prospect coming into NU.

Not saying he will start, but I think he'll at least make rotation. We are losing a lot at CB. We do have some talent waiting in the wings. Anxious to see RoCamp this year, although he looks to be a back up now with the senior talent. Excellent looking prospect coming into NU.

We do? McShepard graduates. Watkins might have a chance for a sixth year based on his ACL tear last year. Behind those two guys we still have Hartage, Mayo, Bullock, Campbell, and Williams in addition to Newsome's classmate Bonner.

Like I said, I'm all for Newsome winning playing time as a true freshman because it means he will have beaten out some pretty good players. I just think saying it's a "strong chance" is a bit too much.

We do? McShepard graduates. Watkins might have a chance for a sixth year based on his ACL tear last year. Behind those two guys we still have Hartage, Mayo, Bullock, Campbell, and Williams in addition to Newsome's classmate Bonner.

Like I said, I'm all for Newsome winning playing time as a true freshman because it means he will have beaten out some pretty good players. I just think saying it's a "strong chance" is a bit too much.
As you know also, talent isn't the only thing. Learning our playbook and defense would be next to impossible in that short of time. IMG has great coaches, but the complexity of their defense is not even close to that of Northwestern. Northwestern has the best DC in the B1G. The man is a genius.

Reactions: NU Houston
And he seems to get smarter the better players he has......
He is very good at making due with what he has. I am sure as our talent goes up he will be able to gamble more and expand our playbook. Our defense is going to be nasty from here on out.

Reactions: NJCat
As you know also, talent isn't the only thing. Learning our playbook and defense would be next to impossible in that short of time. IMG has great coaches, but the complexity of their defense is not even close to that of Northwestern. Northwestern has the best DC in the B1G. The man is a genius.

It's very possible to learn the defense over a summer and fall, especially corner.

Reactions: CatsDad
And he seems to get smarter the better players he has......

Even in some lean defensive years like 2010 and 2011, I always could see Hank's broad philosophy and plan week to week. It always made sense. Guys just couldn't make the plays that were there at times.

Give him a solid front 7 and 2 decent corners, and he'll make them all look better than they are.

Even in some lean defensive years like 2010 and 2011, I always could see Hank's broad philosophy and plan week to week. It always made sense. Guys just couldn't make the plays that were there at times.

Give him a solid front 7 and 2 decent corners, and he'll make them all look better than they are.

Even better with two solid safeties. Igwebuike, Queiro, and McGee should give the "mad scientist" plenty of leeway in putting together his weekly pressure package.

Reactions: DaCat and CatsDad
As a Glenbard North taxpayer it sucks to see him go, but here's to hoping iron sharpens iron and whatnot.

He would be nasty at a school like Bama or OSU. We are extremely lucky to have him.

It's very possible to learn the defense over a summer and fall, especially corner.
I don't know much about what corners need to learn
I do know the WILL linebacker would be very challenging. The SAM is pretty easy Safety pretty tough also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT