ADVERTISEMENT

Nice Father’s Day article about Skoronski and other NFLers with dads/grandfathers that played in NFL

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
i
Happy Father’s day

Football, specifically offensive line play, runs in the family for Peter Skoronski -- who was the Titans' No. 11 overall selection in April's draft. His grandfather, Bob Skoronski Sr., was an offensive tackle for the Green Bay Packers in 1956 and served two years in the U.S. Air Force before returning to play for the Packers from 1959 to 1968.

The elder Skoronski had an 11-year career -- nine played under legendary coach Vince Lombardi -- that led him to be inducted into the Packers Hall of Fame. Primarily playing left tackle, he won five NFL championships, two Super Bowls and was named All-Pro in 1966. Peter hopes to emulate a career similar to his grandfather's.

"You know, it's just wanting to follow in his footsteps," Peter said. "So it's been a goal of mine since I knew what football was. I'm super happy to carry on his legacy."

Skoronksi played left tackle from youth league in Park Ridge, Illinois, to college at Northwestern.

Before his grandfather's death in 2018, the two used to bond over their shared and differing experiences from football. For example, practices were tougher in his grandfather's day because there was no collective bargaining agreement to regulate what the players went through. Peter also said his grandfather had to work in the offseason because the salaries hadn't exploded to the levels now. That put things in perspective for Peter, who signed a four-year, $19.7 million contract last month.

"His mentality of just grinding and doing your job resonated," Peter said of his grandfather. "You have to just keep working."

Peter's father, Bob Skoronski Jr., was a defensive lineman at Yale, where he was coached by David Kelley, the grandfather of fellow 2023 Titans draft pick quarterback Will Levis. Peter will now be charged with protecting Levis.

Despite the elder Skoronski's legacy with the Packers, it won't stop the family from switching their allegiance to the Titans.

"Having my grandfather play there will always be a part of our family history and a part of me," Peter said, "but definitely all Titans now!" -- Turron Davenport

Reactions: usopen30 and TheC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT