ADVERTISEMENT

NIU Thoughts

ThatkidfromHolland

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2015
NIU is a lengthy team that possesses similar athletic abilities to NU. However, NU is clearly the superior team as a whole. NIU have a few players who excel at scoring, especially Amos, who was on fire during the game. Number 2 for NIU was a mismatch displaying impressive speed and strength while getting away with a few push-offs. Additionally, NIU has some talented individual defenders, and their guard is exceptionally quick.

Defensively, NU played well, demonstrating good communication and smooth switching. I appreciate how their guards actively contribute to rebounding. One area where the team needs improvement is taking better care of the ball. Nevertheless, offensively, this team has made significant improvements compared to last season, thanks to the development of several players. Their focus on defense remains centered around forcing turnovers, which they were successful at generating during this game.

Martinelli showcased some impressive moves with his left hand and had a fantastic defensive possession, where he blocked an opponent's shot, despite a questionable foul call. He responded to this questionable call by draining a three-pointer from a beautiful assist courtesy of Nicholson. Martinelli's scoring abilities off the bench are a valuable asset to the team.

Buie is so skillful at drawing fouls. He also excels at distributing the ball and has been very active defensively this year, especially in getting hands in passing lanes. He gave up an easy basket to feed Nicholson for a dunk. Buie understands the importance of involving his teammates in scoring to secure victories but needs to work on minimizing turnovers. One of Buie's strengths is his driving ability, particularly when he drives to his right. At times, he displays exceptional performance and becomes almost unstoppable. Among the team, Buie possesses unmatched passing ability, which opens up opportunities for players like Matt and others on the offensive end. He significantly impacted this game with his play.

Langborg started off quietly but later became more involved in the game. He found himself in foul trouble throughout the game but managed to make a three-pointer to kick off the second half. Even when his shots aren't falling, Langborg remains a valuable player due to his intelligence, offensive skills, and decent defense. He showcases more athleticism than I expected.

Barnhizer should look to pass the ball when he's trapped near the low post, as sometimes he takes shots when he's not in the ideal position. However, he does possess a smooth shooting stroke from beyond the arc, and his shooting percentage is likely to improve this year. Like others, he needs to work on reducing turnovers. Despite not scoring, Barnhizer continues to contribute significantly on the defensive end and with his hustle plays.

Hunger, undoubtedly, possesses the highest offensive potential among all the centers for NU. However, he simply needs to become more comfortable within the team's offensive system and improve his defensive positioning. There is still significant room for growth on the defensive end of the court. On the offensive side, I appreciate his size and ability. It was impressive to see him score from midrange with a faceup move. He also had another impressive drive to the basket in this game. The coaching staff has a proven track record of developing big players, and Hunger possesses more natural skills than both Nicholson and Olah. His shooting form suggests that he is capable of hitting three-pointers, although it would be great to see him actually make one. If he can play defense well enough to take the backup center's minutes, it bodes well for NU's bench strength.

Clayton made an excellent move after receiving a handoff from Nicholson. Unfortunately, he struggled defensively and allowed his opponents to score 10 points on him in the first half.

Berry displayed quick hands and had a few outstanding defensive possessions. He was able to generate numerous steals by disrupting passing lanes and challenging driving players. He caused three steals early in the game, with the third leading to an easy dunk for himself. However, he landed awkwardly after being undercut while attempting a beautiful three-point shot. Prior to that, he had showcased solid defensive plays and seemed to be gaining momentum. It was encouraging to see him back in the game after that incident. Berry displayed great awareness as he grabbed a rebound and immediately passed to a wide open Buie. He also made some impressive shots. His defensive contributions have a significant impact on the team.

Nicholson continues to display excellent passing skills from the top of the key. It was satisfying to see him finish strongly in traffic while also drawing a foul for a successful dunk. The dunk, where he was not initially aware of the contact, gave him an early boost of confidence. It is evident that he is currently the team's best center in terms of defense. He displayed his defensive skills by preventing an easy score after the opposing guard beat Martinelli off the dribble, showcasing Nicholson's ability as a help defender. If he had performed this way against Mississippi State, the outcome could have been different. His court vision has significantly improved this season. He should focus on utilizing his size to secure more rebounds. Overall great game for the big man.

This was a definitive victory against a solid MAC team. Onto the next one. Go cats.

I think Berry is the key to this season. He needs to score 10-15 a game. His defense and rebounding are solid. He was one of the keys to the second half run that out the game away. He missed his first two shots, but then got it going, Great for his confidence going into Friday night. Collins/Lowery made a great defensive adjustment in the second half, forcing NIU to go inside. They were killing us from 3 in the first half. They couldn't find many open looks from there in the second half.

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
This is the best offensive team we have had since...? I love that we have several threats from the outside (Boo, Berry, Langborg, Brooks) and at least some threat inside with Big Matt and Martinelli. And Boo is a master in the paint.
If you believe kenpom, it's the best offensive team since Johnny Shurna's 2011-12 season.

This is the best offensive team we have had since...? I love that we have several threats from the outside (Boo, Berry, Langborg, Brooks) and at least some threat inside with Big Matt and Martinelli. And Boo is a master in the paint.
It’s good that the Killer B’s can generate offense on any given night, with ‘borg being the honorary fourth B. Even if one is having an off night, we have enough depth for the first time in memory to be able to not miss a beat.

I didn't see the game - but great to see us pull away in the 2nd half. With some teams, there is a point where they just start to click as a unit, and I hope this is it.

• Love
Reactions: drewjin
I didn't see the game - but great to see us pull away in the 2nd half. With some teams, there is a point where they just start to click as a unit, and I hope this is it.
Berry was a huge catalyst in the early first half lead. Then he went down with an injury and Amos couldn’t miss. Coming into the 2nd half Buie was on fire. Both with shooting and with his distribution. Also a few key pass deflections.

Reactions: Hkjb
Defensively, NU played well, demonstrating good communication and smooth switching.
Collins/Lowery made a great defensive adjustment in the second half, forcing NIU to go inside. They were killing us from 3 in the first half. They couldn't find many open looks from there in the second half.
Nice overview, THFH, but I don't agree their defense was good. It was a tale of two halves. Nice defense in the second half. Lousy in the first half.

I assume Catreporter saw something I didn't. In the 2nd half, I thought the change was as simple as making a concerted effort to get their hands up more on shots from the NIU guards as well as in the passing lanes. NIU was just shooting over NU in the first half.

Reactions: hdhntr1
I think Berry is the key to this season. He needs to score 10-15 a game.
From your mouth to the ears of the basketball gods, CR. A consistent 10-15 points a game would be HUGE for Berry.

His 8.4 points a game and 31% from 3 in the conference last year included 10 games with fewer than 8 points ... 8 of those games he had five or fewer points. He only shot better than 20% from 3 in two of those 10 games.

He's such good kid. It would be great to see these last three games be his norm.

... One area where the team needs improvement is taking better care of the ball. Nevertheless, offensively, this team has made significant improvements compared to last season, thanks to the development of several players.
TKFH, I appreciated your assessment and align with much of it. However, I wonder about this statement. Last night, the 'Cats turned the ball over only 7 times (10.6% of possessions) - which actually improved their turnover rate which is at 14% of possessions. Per kenpom, that's good for 30th nationally (out of 362). Here's the 'Cats TO Rates during the Boo Buie era:
2024 (so far): 14.0 / 30th
2023: 14.7 /11th
2022: 14.1 / 8th
2021: 17.2 / 86th
2020: 15.6 /18th

If anything, Turnovers is one of the areas where we are elite on both sides of the ball. Opponents are turning it over 24% of the time, that's 11th in the country. Another interesting secondary stat in kenpom is length of possession - Cat opponents are taking 19 seconds per possession, which is the 349th slowest, and usually that correlates with better defenses. Supporting reasons: we're limiting offensive rebounds/putbacks - which are inherently shorter possessions, and we're stopping opponents primary and secondary actions.

Another interesting secondary stat in kenpom is length of possession - Cat opponents are taking 19 seconds per possession, which is the 349th slowest, and usually that correlates with better defenses. Supporting reasons: we're limiting offensive rebounds/putbacks - which are inherently shorter possessions, and we're stopping opponents primary and secondary actions.
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure offensive rebounds/putbacks count as the same possession, not new ones, which would instead lengthen the defensive possession time

Reactions: macarthur31
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure offensive rebounds/putbacks count as the same possession, not new ones, which would instead lengthen the defensive possession time
I believe you are right. A possession only ends when the balls switches sides.

TKFH, I appreciated your assessment and align with much of it. However, I wonder about this statement. Last night, the 'Cats turned the ball over only 7 times (10.6% of possessions) - which actually improved their turnover rate which is at 14% of possessions. Per kenpom, that's good for 30th nationally (out of 362). Here's the 'Cats TO Rates during the Boo Buie era:
2024 (so far): 14.0 / 30th
2023: 14.7 /11th
2022: 14.1 / 8th
2021: 17.2 / 86th
2020: 15.6 /18th

If anything, Turnovers is one of the areas where we are elite on both sides of the ball. Opponents are turning it over 24% of the time, that's 11th in the country. Another interesting secondary stat in kenpom is length of possession - Cat opponents are taking 19 seconds per possession, which is the 349th slowest, and usually that correlates with better defenses. Supporting reasons: we're limiting offensive rebounds/putbacks - which are inherently shorter possessions, and we're stopping opponents primary and secondary actions.
I just saw a couple sloppy plays by Buie and Barnhizer in the first half and added that to my notes for the write up. As a team yes they do well in that. I do also have to find something to tell Buie to work on off a great game, so it’ll end up being nit picky.

Reactions: macarthur31
I believe you are right. A possession only ends when the balls switches sides.

Ah yes, I mis-read kenpom's essay that details this stat: "Behold average possession length." Thanks for noting that.

The measurement for component pace is about as simple as it gets: each team’s average possession length (APL, measured in seconds) on offense and defense. The number is not adjusted for competition and it measures the length of an entire possession, so offensive rebounds count. In the future this will probably change, but the raw data is insightful on its own.

From your mouth to the ears of the basketball gods, CR. A consistent 10-15 points a game would be HUGE for Berry.

His 8.4 points a game and 31% from 3 in the conference last year included 10 games with fewer than 8 points ... 8 of those games he had five or fewer points. He only shot better than 20% from 3 in two of those 10 games.

He's such good kid. It would be great to see these last three games be his norm.
I'm also joining the crew that is declaring him the Robbie Beran Memorial "X-Factor". Per kenpom:

%Min31.954.469.967.9
ORTG101.5102.399.3114.6
%Poss1816.217.516.2
eFG%51.251.343.254.0
OReb%0.80.73.13.1
DReb%10.511.316.911.5
AstRate11.48.48.03.5
TORate10.811.310.37.2
Blk%1.20.80.70.9
Stl%3.31.83.05.1
FoulsC/403.23.52.92.0
FoulsDr/403.12.32.61.9
FT Rate26.721.221.28.0
FTM-A/%14-2765.2%20-28/71.4%48-59/81.4%3-4/75%
2FGM-A/%14-27/51.9%23-61/37.7%45-106/42.5%9-19/47.4%
3FGM-A/%20-59 / 33.9%51-133/38.3%50-172/.29.1%12-31/38.7%

While his usage has slightly declined, his Offensive Rating has ballooned to 114.6 as he's sporting a career high in eFG%. I love seeing the 3FG% near his '22 performance, which would be the best ever performance in the Collins era (min 100 attempts) outside of Vic Law '17 (59-148/39.9%). Note: Vic Law also shot 51-133/38.3% in '18, which is exactly how Berry did in '22. If Berry can keep that accuracy, he'll add a dimension to the 'Cats attack.

I'm also impressed with his Steal% is at 5.0 (Audige was 4.2 last year), and he's incredibly disciplined with just 2.0 Fouls Committed/40 (another career high). I'd attribute this to him adapting so well to Lowery's system rather than being a Chase-esque lockdown defender.

I'm so excited for Ty this year, and hope he can stay healthy because when he's on the court, he's been making excellent decisions and is just a force multiplier out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT