ADVERTISEMENT

No. 1?

timbfischer

Oct 22, 2009
Who wears it next year? Justin Jackson? Doesn't necessarily go to the best player, but to the player who best displays the whole package. I'd put money on JJTBC vs. the field.

"Get off my lawn" moment.

1. I like when they keep the same damn #. If you see someone wearing a #19 jersey like mine from about ten years ago, you know it's Sutton. The numbers are part of the program's history, just look at how people debate whether to retire #51

2. Idk if Mich still does this , they used to (#1 for special player), but I don't want us to do imitate anything Michigan. We already are copying their "lose every game to dOSU"routine and I hate that

JJ would definitely be a candidate, but as it is voted by the players (I believe), there could be many more candidates. A few examples:

Godwin
Lancaster
Kyle Queiro
Dickerson
Thorson
Long
Watkins

There would be others. If I recall correctly, some of the previous No. 1s have not been stars, such as Bo Cisek, so the choice may not be obvious.

I think the difference is that at Mich they only give it to a superstar. At NU, it goes to the player who best exemplifies the spirit of the program, which is why Bo Cisek wore it. It's kind of like the anti-Michigan sentiment. I thought JJ because he seems to be that kind of player/student. That he is also good is cool, too. Maybe there is some other kid who would be a better fit. I don't know. This is why I asked.

An oddity, too, is that that'd be three numbers worn by JJTBC in four years.

I guessed incorrectly last year. I thought that Hruby was a sure thing to get #1. This year I am going to play safer and guess it goes to Godwin. My long shots are Acker and Alviti.

I guessed incorrectly last year. I thought that Hruby was a sure thing to get #1. This year I am going to play safer and guess it goes to Godwin. My long shots are Acker and Alviti.
I hope you are wrong. Your intuition that it was going to Hruby is the kind of thinking I like for the number. Godwin will get enough glory next year as will JJ. I liked it when it went to a guy who was a workhorse and leader in some way that showed more in the locker room (weight room etc.) than on the field.

"Get off my lawn" moment.

1. I like when they keep the same damn #. If you see someone wearing a #19 jersey like mine from about ten years ago, you know it's Sutton. The numbers are part of the program's history, just look at how people debate whether to retire #51

2. Idk if Mich still does this , they used to (#1 for special player), but I don't want us to do imitate anything Michigan. We already are copying their "lose every game to dOSU"routine and I hate that

I sometimes wonder if some of the other players are secretly relieved that they didn't win the "honor" that basically just means that you have to change your number.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I would give it to JP Butler- the former walkon who kicked some ass for us this season!
Plus, it'd be cool to see an O-lineman wear #1. Is there a number rule in college like in the pros? Can even O-linemen wear any number? I guess Cisek was technically one...

Plus, it'd be cool to see an O-lineman wear #1. Is there a number rule in college like in the pros? Can even O-linemen wear any number? I guess Cisek was technically one...

pretty sure they can wear whatever number they want . . . there are definitely d-line people who wear single digits (napoleon harris, I believe? and bentley at LB), although I can't recall ever seeing it on the o-line .

I would give it to JP Butler- the former walkon who kicked some ass for us this season!

I voted for Godwin, but I really like your idea, I don't think it will go to Butler because I think they like giving it to an older player.

pretty sure they can wear whatever number they want . . . there are definitely d-line people who wear single digits (napoleon harris, I believe? and bentley at LB), although I can't recall ever seeing it on the o-line .
Odenigbo wore #7. I realize he's not on the o-line, but it's a more recent example on d-line.

Don't know the rulebook on this, but suspect that there's a potential distinction between O-line and D-line re potential numbering restrictions. Reason: eligibility to receive passes, downfield block on pass plays, etc. That's why referee must come on and report something like, "#79 is reported as an eligible pass receiver" on those occasions when a team's lineup and formation require. That's why I doubt a regular O-lineman could wear #1, and believe their numbers are limited to the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Don't know the rulebook on this, but suspect that there's a potential distinction between O-line and D-line re potential numbering restrictions. Reason: eligibility to receive passes, downfield block on pass plays, etc. That's why referee must come on and report something like, "#79 is reported as an eligible pass receiver" on those occasions when a team's lineup and formation require. That's why I doubt a regular O-lineman could wear #1, and believe their numbers are limited to the 50s, 60s and 70s.
Here is an older answer but I think it is still in effect.

Jason McDonald, Covered college sports for the school paper all four years of undergrad.
Written 29 Sep 2010

Cliff's Notes version: the only firm rule is that the five interior offensive linemen have to be between 50-79. If a 50-79 player takes an end spot (i.e. replace a TE or WR with an extra blocker), they have to inform the ref before the play. Also, since college teams sometimes give the same number to two players, only one player with the same number can be on the field at a time. Beyond that, just about anything goes.

More in the "recommended" category, the NCAA prefers offensive ends/eligible receivers (WR, TE) to be 80-99, and people in the backfield to be 1-49. And they also recommend the numbers on the O-line get larger working out from the middle (i.e. C in the 50s, G in the 60's, T in the 70's). But technically those are optional, not required.

For more info, the NCAA rulebook (2009-10 edition) can be found at: http://www.oficiales.org/A_2009/...
5.6k Views · View Upvotes

Jason McDonald, Covered college sports for the school paper all four years of undergrad.

Written 29 Sep 2010

Cliff's Notes version: the only firm rule is that the five interior offensive linemen have to be between 50-79. If a 50-79 player takes an end spot (i.e. replace a TE or WR with an extra blocker), they have to inform the ref before the play. Also, since college teams sometimes give the same number to two players, only one player with the same number can be on the field at a time. Beyond that, just about anything goes.

More in the "recommended" category, the NCAA prefers offensive ends/eligible receivers (WR, TE) to be 80-99, and people in the backfield to be 1-49. And they also recommend the numbers on the O-line get larger working out from the middle (i.e. C in the 50s, G in the 60's, T in the 70's). But technically those are optional, not required.

For more info, the NCAA rulebook (2009-10 edition) can be found at: http://www.oficiales.org/A_2009/...

Thank you, NCR.

My guess is Alviti. Guy has been threw a lot with expectations and subsequent injuries.

I prefer it going to a guy who didn't experience instant impact.
I prefer that too.
I was happy when the best player on the team was also the most "Wildcat"ish. Remember, it's a team/player recognition - "we notice your effort, this year and for multiple years" - and that the external adulation is secondary.

Personally, I would love to see someone in the passing game - my candidates, for no actual reason, are Wilson and Dickerson - recognized. But I'd love to see a veteran take the reins and lead the group to a more equitable distribution of big plays. (I hope the next Austin Carr is lurking somewhere, the the Magic 8 Ball says odds are against it.)

Another candidate would be WM Long, who I hope to see come back like a ball of fire for 4-8 carries a game in a moderately reduced role (due to Moten's continued emergence) from what could have been expected this season.

Defensively, Watkins is a great candidate. And Queiro's one-armed man act all season has to put him in the running for an honor that recognizes perseverance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT