ADVERTISEMENT

No Golf Course Parking for 2023 & 2024 Football

HappyNUyear

May 29, 2001
Chicago Area
Canal Shores Golf Course has announced renovations to their golf course beginning in 2023. Therefore the entire golf course will be unavailable for NU Football Tailgating during the 2023 & 2024 football seasons.

To say this is "very troubling" would be an understatement.

...but, 2024 is a moot point, right?

Also, I don't mean to hijack the topic at hand here, but has there been any reliable discussion about where we'll play in 2024 and 2025?

Last edited:
Reactions: ubercat
Just a sidenote, for those like me who haven't been actively thinking about the 2023 home schedule:

9/9 vs. UTEP
9/23 vs. Minny
9/30 vs. Penn St
10/7 vs. Howard (Homecoming)
10/28 vs. Maryland
11/18 vs. Purdue

The absence of Neb, Michigan, Sparty, Wisconsin, Iowa (@ Wrigley), and Ohio State from this schedule will probably go a long way to helping reduce the raw impact...coming off 1-11 probably contributes as well.

I wonder if they will convert some on-campus parking to fee-based...

Abandon all hope to those who want to attend Ryan Field games and have a tailgate experience,Do you really think after spending to rework the course that parking will again be allowed.

Reactions: phatcat
Abandon all hope to those who want to attend Ryan Field games and have a tailgate experience,Do you really think after spending to rework the course that parking will again be allowed.
Fair point. It was not lost on me in the new Ryan Field propaganda how they want to reduce the presence of cars and basically steer people to vendors outside the stadium for pre-gaming. On paper I'm not inherently against this, but they're dreaming if they think people are really going to cycle to the games to take the red line to purple line from the city on a Saturday. To be honest this is why it's perplexing to me that a multi-level parking structure never really entered the conversation (or at least never saw the light of day).

Fair point. It was not lost on me in the new Ryan Field propaganda how they want to reduce the presence of cars and basically steer people to vendors outside the stadium for pre-gaming. On paper I'm not inherently against this, but they're dreaming if they think people are really going to cycle to the games to take the red line to purple line from the city on a Saturday. To be honest this is why it's perplexing to me that a multi-level parking structure never really entered the conversation (or at least never saw the light of day).
Evanston wants to reduce game day road congestion in the area. At this stage, NU's design/marketing materials are focused on making this project as palatable for Evanston as possible. The university has indeed floated the idea of a parking structure to Evanston, but there's no interest on the city side.

People have talked about a multi-story parking structure on this page for years and I don't get it. It would be ugly as hell and wouldn't be practical.

People are aware that grilling would be prohibited save for possibly an uncovered top level correct??

People have talked about a multi-story parking structure on this page for years and I don't get it. It would be ugly as hell and wouldn't be practical.

People are aware that grilling would be prohibited save for possibly an uncovered top level correct??
I personally look at it as a means to an end - the threat of losing golf course parking for NU could be seismic - I share my season tickets with others who would give up their tickets before taking the red to purple lines on the weekend. A parking structure would at least provide a place to warehouse cars while we pay $9 for a hot dog and $13 for a beer outside the stadium.

At 1-11, are we really worried about parking just for the visitors? I can watch this crap just fine at home where my parking is covered in my climate controlled garage. Until the football is fixed I am trying to minimize the nickels this program gets from me. No tickets, parking, amenities, or gear until the trajectory of the program is addressed.

If I don't have the ability to park close to the stadium, and I have to take a shuttle back to the campus parking adding an extra time to my ability to leave, it is just going to make me not want to go to games. I already travel from out of state, and adding that extra is one more reason to watch on tv.

I have to imagine the football parking is a good bit of revenue for the course, even though it may impact the grounds. They also know the stadium is going to be under construction for two years, and no parking revenue during those years. Why wouldn't they schedule the renovations for the course during one of those years? It would only be pushing it back one year.

I have to imagine the football parking is a good bit of revenue for the course, even though it may impact the grounds. They also know the stadium is going to be under construction for two years, and no parking revenue during those years. Why wouldn't they schedule the renovations for the course during one of those years? It would only be pushing it back one year.
Originally Ryan was to be gone in 2023 and 2024. However there were delays and continue to be delays. Evanston hasn’t even issued permits

Not that there was a ton of doubt in this thread, but my ticket rep confirmed no golf lot parking this season.

Is tailgating permitted in the hospital parking structure?

I have no first hand knowledge but I would imagine the "no tailgating" rule for the hospital lot refers to grills/open fires (for obvious reasons). If you don't obstruct traffic I wouldn't think they would care if you swill some beers and eat some sandwiches and junk food. We "tailgate" all the time in Grant Park garage for crummy weather Bear games.

• Sad
Reactions: KramerCat91
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT