ADVERTISEMENT

No Greer?

1830sherman

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Does not show up in the box, after playing about 20 minutes in the first game. Was there some mention of his being out that I missed?

Also, for those who attended--curious as to what kind of (non-) crowd there was. Couple references by the announcer to sparse attendance.

Does not show up in the box, after playing about 20 minutes in the first game. Was there some mention of his being out that I missed?

Also, for those who attended--curious as to what kind of (non-) crowd there was. Couple references by the announcer to sparse attendance.

Nope. He was in uniform on the bench. DNP-CD.

I was at the game and didn’t see him play- to me that’s a good thing. When he’s out there our already challenged offense gets worse because he’s zero scoring threat

Collins was asked about this in the post game presser and said Greer not playing was “all about game flow”. Do with that quote what you want, but that was his stated reasoning.

First, did not watch the game. How does a game flow with 20 turnovers and a vicious press not merit putting in a guard who's primary talent is handling the ball? Appears to indicate how far Greer has fallen. If so, says a lot about recruiting players who don't have the requisite talent for competitive Big Ten play - like Johnny Vassar. Waste of time. Use walk-ons. Just as effective.

First, did not watch the game. How does a game flow with 20 turnovers and a vicious press not merit putting in a guard who's primary talent is handling the ball? Appears to indicate how far Greer has fallen. If so, says a lot about recruiting players who don't have the requisite talent for competitive Big Ten play - like Johnny Vassar. Waste of time. Use walk-ons. Just as effective.

I don’t think Greer would have been recruited other than we were in desperation mode for a pg last year. As I recall he reclassified. He needs to develop an outside shot to be playable in Big 10 games. Depending on recruiting I wouldn’t be shocked to see him transfer.

Reactions: willycat
I believe Greer might still be valuable in the future. It would not have been a bad idea to red-shirt him. Especially when he is already playing as a sophomore of freshman age
  • He has good ball handling skills
  • He might have, with confidence, a decent shot (still can't understand if he does or not)
  • He has the ability to drive to the basket. Which we had none last year. And this year we might have some, with Spencer on the team
  • Problem is, he can drive to the basket, but he is only a threat to pass when doing it. Very limited finishing ability. That makes it too easy to guard him. Don't see a defense collapsing and opening wide open shot opportunities. And don't see him having the ability to make them pay by finishing it himself.

Reactions: IGNORE
I believe Greer might still be valuable in the future. It would not have been a bad idea to red-shirt him. Especially when he is already playing as a sophomore of freshman age
  • He has good ball handling skills
  • He might have, with confidence, a decent shot (still can't understand if he does or not)
  • He has the ability to drive to the basket. Which we had none last year. And this year we might have some, with Spencer on the team
  • Problem is, he can drive to the basket, but he is only a threat to pass when doing it. Very limited finishing ability. That makes it too easy to guard him. Don't see a defense collapsing and opening wide open shot opportunities. And don't see him having the ability to make them pay by finishing it himself.
Buie made some turnovers but was decent. Likely need both these guys. Spencer looks the best!

Buie made some turnovers but was decent. Likely need both these guys. Spencer looks the best!

Right now I tend to believe Bouie needs confidence, more than anything else. He had some really silly mistakes that I believe are driven by the lack of confidence that comes with experience. If only the natural "arrogance" (read as confidence) that Spencer exhibits was something you could easily teach a player!

...Also, for those who attended--curious as to what kind of (non-) crowd there was. Couple references by the announcer to sparse attendance.

Such a garbage crowd. The student sections were barely half full, and the remaining sections were their usual golfy selves.

For one moment in the second half, five or six rows of Providence fans took over the arena.

I expect Collins as cheerleader to arrive soon. I hate that look, but I don't blame him. It's discouraging and I don't even play.

Such a garbage crowd. The student sections were barely half full, and the remaining sections were their usual golfy selves.

For one moment in the second half, five or six rows of Providence fans took over the arena.

I expect Collins as cheerleader to arrive soon. I hate that look, but I don't blame him. It's discouraging and I don't even play.
On the broadcast they mentioned that Providence had one Chicagoland player (#12?) who was playing his first game here since high school, and brought ~70 people to the game, so I'm guessing that's who those folks were.

I'm not one to call out the students for not showing up, but it was pretty disappointing. Fun 80's night theme with giveaways, the biggest "name" opponent of the non-conference, later start time, mid-terms over, OK weather -- I was expecting a much bigger student turnout. Their sections were maybe 20% full. The remaining "crowd" was the usual assortment of white-hairs and no-hairs (I qualify as both). Still, a really fun game with a stunning result -- the opposite of last Friday's stunning result.

On the broadcast they mentioned that Providence had one Chicagoland player (#12?) who was playing his first game here since high school, and brought ~70 people to the game, so I'm guessing that's who those folks were.

There are a fair number of Providence alums in the Chicago area -- lots of Fenwick, Loyola, Benet types -- so I'm glad they had a decent turnout (and I'm glad they went home sad).

6 of them took the empty seats in the row in front of me. They were very excited every time #12 (Pipkins?) touched the ball. I appreciated them. They added some life to the crowd.

Reactions: NUCat320
DE-FENSE! DE-FENSE!!

That zone does not work nearly as well with someone as short and slow as Greer. And he doesn't bring enough to the offensive side of the equation to make up for it.

I'm not one to call out the students for not showing up, but it was pretty disappointing. Fun 80's night theme with giveaways, the biggest "name" opponent of the non-conference, later start time, mid-terms over, OK weather -- I was expecting a much bigger student turnout. Their sections were maybe 20% full. The remaining "crowd" was the usual assortment of white-hairs and no-hairs (I qualify as both). Still, a really fun game with a stunning result -- the opposite of last Friday's stunning result.
Well, after two consecutive losing seasons and a pitiful loss to Merrimack you really can't blame anyone who decided to do something other than traipse to WRA in the bitter cold. Put a good product on the floor and people will attend.

Medill, I don't like going negative on players but what exactly does Greer bring to the floor? Vs. Merrimack, I remember him fumbling a gimme rebound under the basket and costing NU two points at a critical juncture. He badly missed an open driving layup in the first half and missed the second of two free throws to leave us three points down instead of two in the final minutes.

We need to win! Period! I don't think Greer will he much more than a 5-8 minute guy. Northwestern is one Ty Berry away from being a sweet sixteen team

Reactions: cwcorgi-ks
I was at the game and didn’t see him play- to me that’s a good thing. When he’s out there our already challenged offense gets worse because he’s zero scoring threat
For what it’s worth , Greer had 5 assists and zero turnovers against Merrimack. I don’t know what basketball-reference offensive rating is, but his was 171. Kopp was next best at 111, while Spencer was 80 and Boo was 58.

For what it’s worth , Greer had 5 assists and zero turnovers against Merrimack. I don’t know what basketball-reference offensive rating is, but his was 171. Kopp was next best at 111, while Spencer was 80 and Boo was 58.
Cue @Gladeskat and his thoughts about stats

Medill, I don't like going negative on players but what exactly does Greer bring to the floor? Vs. Merrimack, I remember him fumbling a gimme rebound under the basket and costing NU two points at a critical juncture. He badly missed an open driving layup in the first half and missed the second of two free throws to leave us three points down instead of two in the final minutes.

Greer has a handle and can run the offense. At times last year, during conference play, he was a salve. He also looked like a frosh at times.

Defensively he's decent. Not super quick, but tough and dialed in all the time.

He's supposed to be a 3 pt shooter. Hasn't shown that.

What I reacted to are the comments that suggest he'll be gone/should not be on the roster. First, that's just inappropriate and mean spirited. Second, I don't think it's accurate. Greer hasn't shown he'll be all Big Ten, but he's shown he can contributed and he's gotten since last year.

Reactions: drewjin
So far, his 3-point shooting has been his biggest drawback. Just not a threat from out there.

So far, his 3-point shooting has been his biggest drawback. Just not a threat from out there.

This. I said at the start of the year that the only way he earns minutes is if he’s shooting at least 35%-40% from 3 with some volume. Not sure he’s shown that yet.

Still, to be frank, I’ve already seen more from Ryan Greer than I ever saw from Jordan Ash.

Greer has the potential to be a solid PG backup for his career. Keep in mind this year should've been his freshman year, and even still, he showed some flashes last year that he could be a positive contributor. Given that, Pat Spencer is the guy who gives the team the best chance to win right now, but Greer will get his moments throughout the season.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE
This. I said at the start of the year that the only way he earns minutes is if he’s shooting at least 35%-40% from 3 with some volume. Not sure he’s shown that yet.

Still, to be frank, I’ve already seen more from Ryan Greer than I ever saw from Jordan Ash.
That’s a higher bar than literally every player on the roster last year. NU’s leading returning three point shooters shot 33%, 32%, 26% and 26% last year. Greer , incidentally, was 4 for 17 — 23.5%.

That’s a higher bar than literally every player on the roster last year. NU’s leading returning three point shooters shot 33%, 32%, 26% and 26% last year. Greer , incidentally, was 4 for 17 — 23.5%.
Yeah, if we're going to make efficient shooting a qualification for playing time, NU won't be able to put a team on the floor.

Yeah, if we're going to make efficient shooting a qualification for playing time, NU won't be able to put a team on the floor.
For what it’s worth, I’m not saying Greer’s the answer - just that this year’s brief appearance and last year’s performance shouldn’t somehow disqualify him from an opportunity.

He's taken one three pointer....in an exhibition game...total this year.

Is the narrative in this thread that Greer sucks based on the fact that he took and missed one shot?

Great stuff.

He's taken one three pointer....in an exhibition game...total this year.

Is the narrative in this thread that Greer sucks based on the fact that he took and missed one shot?

Great stuff.

I didn’t conclude anything. Just said he has to be able to make 3s if he’s going to stay on the floor. Jury is out on that.

ADVERTISEMENT