ADVERTISEMENT

No reason to worry; Cats can be patient in the portal

Yeah I'm OK with waiting. Braun said he got as many recruits as he could take, more or less, and there will be a ton of guys left this spring

Yeah I'm OK with waiting. Braun said he got as many recruits as he could take, more or less, and there will be a ton of guys left this spring

Your statement doesn’t make much sense. Getting as many recruits as he could take in the early signing period would necessarily mean that we don’t have many (if any) spaces for guys in the second transfer portal window unless we have unanticipated departures.

@lou v breaks down why Northwestern's lack of incoming transfers at this stage of the portal isn't a cause for concern.
I think a key difference is missing in the article.

This Is Fine GIF by 100% Soft

This Is Fine GIF

@lou v breaks down why Northwestern's lack of incoming transfers at this stage of the portal isn't a cause for concern.
This is the glass half full view for sure. Count me as one of those anxious fans. This school just puts up so many self made barriers to success it’s like they want lag behind the curve with securing capable players. Maybe if we put up consecutive years of hitting in the Spring period I will relax, but as of now, we got a ton of holes.

Welcome back. Nice attachments.
The unknown variable of course is Braun’s credibility in the portal. This is a cool analysis…

But our old OC had NFL bona fides. Jake crushed it in the portal last year. We’ll see if Lujan can.

Last edited:
Your statement doesn’t make much sense. Getting as many recruits as he could take in the early signing period would necessarily mean that we don’t have many (if any) spaces for guys in the second transfer portal window unless we have unanticipated departures.
Well, it's not MY statement. Too lazy to look for it, but Braun said they got as many (quantity) recruits as they wanted. I was relieved because of the huge # of seniors that walked before the Purdue game.

Then, as you say, if there are few unanticipated departures, then NU will need few transfers. And, as I said, there will be a ton of guys remaining in the portal, from which they can selectively recruit. My point was I am also not concerned about NU waiting because we probably don't need many.

Reactions: drewjin
Well, it's not MY statement. Too lazy to look for it, but Braun said they got as many (quantity) recruits as they wanted. I was relieved because of the huge # of seniors that walked before the Purdue game.

Then, as you say, if there are few unanticipated departures, then NU will need few transfers. And, as I said, there will be a ton of guys remaining in the portal, from which they can selectively recruit. My point was I am also not concerned about NU waiting because we probably don't need many.
I am not a Mathematician but it seems like we need quite a few transfers to me.

Or may be easier with the subtraction of bad coaches, addition of new coaches that may be able to bring some kids with them
I'm in agreement. The important thing is the credibility of the coaches. We're not recruiting dumb kids. Braun has plenty cred after what he accomplished this past season. Lujan? National championships = credibility. I'm not sitting here wringing my hands in January, worrying about the roster. There's plenty of time and transfer candidates to fill out the roster for a very good team next year.

Now let's get Gronowski, dammit.

Reactions: drewjin
I'm in agreement. The important thing is the credibility of the coaches. We're not recruiting dumb kids. Braun has plenty cred after what he accomplished this past season. Lujan? National championships = credibility. I'm not sitting here wringing my hands in January, worrying about the roster. There's plenty of time and transfer candidates to fill out the roster for a very good team next year.

Now let's get Gronowski, dammit.
Are recruits really impressed with Lujan because he won at Division II? We are in an 18 team conference with heavy weights- Michigan, Washington, Oregon and that school in Columbus. No longer in the Big Ten West. Not sure how an 18 year old will be impressed with the pedigree of the new coaches Braun hired.

Are recruits really impressed with Lujan because he won at Division II? We are in an 18 team conference with heavy weights- Michigan, Washington, Oregon and that school in Columbus. No longer in the Big Ten West. Not sure how an 18 year old will be impressed with the pedigree of the new coaches Braun hired.
Division 2? You're not necessarily impressive yourself with this take.

The unknown variable of course is Braun’s credibility in the portal. This is a cool analysis…

But our old OC had NFL bona fides. Jake crushed it in the portal last year. We’ll see if Lujan can.
That was a problem, our old OC and DC had “NFL bona fides” whatever that means, and it seemed to help recruiting in a spotty and inconsistent way (based on some comments from recruits), but unless they “crushed it” with certain players in the portal, we played like garbage on both sides of the ball.

It is certainly a down year for recruiting
and may still end up being lacking in the portal but not Braun’s or Lujan’s fault, as they were not involved in the scandal and they have the disadvantage of not having a stadium for the next 2 years.

Two consecutive FCS titles at powerhouse South Dakota State has credibility, yes. Rings are rings.

It’s not Division II. It’s FCS.

Could set this to music.

Patience in the portal, dum-ta-dum-ta-dum-ta-dum-ta
Patience in the portal.
Now mister dontcha make me
Sit out a year
Everybody knows that transfers never come out here

• Haha
Reactions: mountaindrew

And then we go hit with a slew of additional transfers. We need plenty. But the reality for us is that it is very hard for us to get guys through the first window so the only alternative is that we have to be successful in the second

Reactions: phatcat
And then we go hit with a slew of additional transfers. We need plenty. But the reality for us is that it is very hard for us to get guys through the first window so the only alternative is that we have to be successful in the second

The realty for us is that without an NIL type sign on bonus it’s going to be hard for us to attract any quality transfers regardless of the window.

• Sad
Reactions: hdhntr1
Potato potaato
Very different things. FCS is D1

The best FCS teams would slaughter the worst and even half decent FBS teams, as Fitz has made us experience more than once.

No D2 team would ever have a chance against an FBS team. Ever.

Reactions: phatcat

The best FCS teams would slaughter the worst and even half decent FBS teams, as Fitz has made us experience more than once.

Since 2010, NDSU has beaten
Minnesota
Colorado State
Iowa State
Iowa (ranked)
Kansas
Kansas State

Not bad. SDSU beat Colo St and Kansas.
Montana beat a ranked Washington team a couple years ago.

Reactions: mountaindrew

Not really. It is classified as 1AA while what is generally considered D1 is 1A. FCS programs are only allowed 63 scholarships vs the 85 allowed in what is normally considered as the 119 programs in D1.

Hard to not recognize the difference between FCS and what is generally considered to be D1. FCS is technically classified as 1AA vs the 119 programs generally considered D1 are actually 1A. FCS programs are only allowed 63 scholarships vs the 85 allowed in programs normally associated with D1

Not really. It is classified as 1AA while what is generally considered D1 is 1A. FCS programs are only allowed 63 scholarships vs the 85 allowed in what is normally considered as the 119 programs in D1.

Hard to not recognize the difference between FCS and what is generally considered to be D1. FCS is technically classified as 1AA vs the 119 programs generally considered D1 are actually 1A. FCS programs are only allowed 63 scholarships vs the 85 allowed in programs normally associated with D1

Incorrect.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
So, you like to make up the definitions and depart from reality to fit your narrative?

Ok.

In any case, FCS is absolutely D1 and is a far cry from DII. It’s not potato and potaato

More like potato and turnip. Different fricking root vegetables altogether

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT