ADVERTISEMENT

No universally worn masks...

CatChatAR

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2011
...no football. People better pick it up quick or there is no shot at numbers dropping to a point where it’s safe enough for schools to give it a shot.

Reactions: Fitz51
...no football. People better pick it up quick or there is no shot at numbers dropping to a point where it’s safe enough for schools to give it a shot.
I hear ya! Florida, Texas,and California are sinking our chances at opening day vs MSU! I'm not even a Democrat,but Pritzker is doing much,much better than Florida and Texas! Dang!

I hear ya! Florida, Texas,and California are sinking our chances at opening day vs MSU! I'm not even a Democrat,but Pritzker is doing much,much better than Florida and Texas! Dang!
Not a Dem. Sure could have fooled us.

I live in Arizona and we have the highest per capita case count for the last couple weeks. Quite bad here.

I live in Arizona and we have the highest per capita case count for the last couple weeks. Quite bad here.
Be smart and stay safe! It was really scary here out east in April but at least we were on total lockdown so we knew were doing something to stop this. Wondering whether we can stop this surge in its tracks in these other states now while people are still trying to go about their daily lives is really worrying.

I know not from LT, but...

FANATICS

(avail >July 23)
mask1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Inovacat and Fitz51
Masks matter! A nice review just came out in Science this week talking about the role of aerosolized droplets in spreading infection from both asymptomatic and presymptomatic carriers. The bottom line is that the social distancing guidelines of 6-feet are based on research from the 1930's on larger droplets. SARS-CoV-2 may very well be traveling much further distances in smaller droplets. So while distance certainly helps, our best weapon right now is masks! I am quoting one key paragraph here:

Airborne spread from undiagnosed infections will continuously undermine the effectiveness of even the most vigorous testing, tracing, and social distancing programs. After evidence revealed that airborne transmission by asymptomatic individuals might be a key driver in the global spread of COVID-19, the CDC recommended the use of cloth face coverings. Masks provide a critical barrier, reducing the number of infectious viruses in exhaled breath, especially of asymptomatic people and those with mild symptoms (12) (see the figure). Surgical mask material reduces the likelihood and severity of COVID-19 by substantially reducing airborne viral concentrations (13). Masks can also protect uninfected individuals from SARS-CoV-2 aerosols and droplets (13, 14). Thus, it is particularly important to wear masks in locations with conditions that can accumulate high concentrations of viruses, such as health care settings, airplanes, restaurants, and other crowded places with reduced ventilation. The aerosol filtering efficiency of different materials, thicknesses, and layers used in properly fitted homemade masks was recently found to be similar to that of the medical masks that were tested (14). Thus, the option of universal masking is no longer held back by shortages.
I bolded one sentence for everyone to see. If you won't wear a mask for others, wear one for yourself and your family!

So if the south(sec territory) can't open up because they are unwilling to wear masks, but the mid-west (big ten territory) can open up because we are more willing to wear masks, can't we just have a big ten season.

Thanks for the link, BosCat. Just ordered three-packs for my wife and myself.

Good post that has been true for many weeks now. Always good for everyone to wear masks, particularly in crowds.

I 100% support this notion. "Pull a New Zealand, make this thing go away, and you can have your sports back. Until then, put on your adult pants and act like a grownup."

Sports Should Not Be Happening Right Now
I think the most likely scenario is a start and then stop before any schedule can be completed. Players in every sport at every school will test positive. I have yet to hear about what the plan is when that happens. A big ugly gets the virus, do we quarantine him or the entire trenches that he battled with all week in practice. Etc Etc Etc.

we might see a spring football season with a fast follower in the fall. A whole new set of problems with this approach.

Please note the story of the Springfield MO Great Clips. A stylist was infected and symptomatic for Covid and saw 140 people getting haircuts. Both stylist and client were always wearing masks, and no one tested positive. Many were put into a quarantine for 14 days due to the exposure but again, no one caught the covid.

If people are conscientious about wearing masks. We can have football. We can have school. Maybe someday soon we don't have to wear them anymore because cases are negligible.

Please note the story of the Springfield MO Great Clips. A stylist was infected and symptomatic for Covid and saw 140 people getting haircuts. Both stylist and client were always wearing masks, and no one tested positive. Many were put into a quarantine for 14 days due to the exposure but again, no one caught the covid.

If people are conscientious about wearing masks. We can have football. We can have school. Maybe someday soon we don't have to wear them anymore because cases are negligible.
This is the part that drives me crazy with people refusing to comply. If we all make some small sacrifices to reduce spread, then the virus runs out of hosts and it dies!! Right now, that is our best chance to beat this thing. Starve the beast!!

This is the part that drives me crazy with people refusing to comply. If we all make some small sacrifices to reduce spread, then the virus runs out of hosts and it dies!! Right now, that is our best chance to beat this thing. Starve the beast!!
Nobody returns their grocery carts in this country because it’s their right not to, too. Oh, wait.

Reactions: hoosboot
I love the board but its hard for me to have small talk about football - and how for the love-of-god can you tell if WR prospect has good hands from his highlight reel that somehow doesn't include any drops - when people think wearing a mask in public when close to others is an infringement on their personal liberty --- NO MASK NO FOOTBALL. NO LIVE SPORTS.

They obey speed limits? They put on their seatbelts? Wear a mask. (if football isn't a good enough reason maybe the misery and death Covid causes? ... nah, stick with football)

Masks matter! A nice review just came out in Science this week talking about the role of aerosolized droplets in spreading infection from both asymptomatic and presymptomatic carriers. The bottom line is that the social distancing guidelines of 6-feet are based on research from the 1930's on larger droplets. SARS-CoV-2 may very well be traveling much further distances in smaller droplets. So while distance certainly helps, our best weapon right now is masks! I am quoting one key paragraph here:

Airborne spread from undiagnosed infections will continuously undermine the effectiveness of even the most vigorous testing, tracing, and social distancing programs. After evidence revealed that airborne transmission by asymptomatic individuals might be a key driver in the global spread of COVID-19, the CDC recommended the use of cloth face coverings. Masks provide a critical barrier, reducing the number of infectious viruses in exhaled breath, especially of asymptomatic people and those with mild symptoms (12) (see the figure). Surgical mask material reduces the likelihood and severity of COVID-19 by substantially reducing airborne viral concentrations (13). Masks can also protect uninfected individuals from SARS-CoV-2 aerosols and droplets (13, 14). Thus, it is particularly important to wear masks in locations with conditions that can accumulate high concentrations of viruses, such as health care settings, airplanes, restaurants, and other crowded places with reduced ventilation. The aerosol filtering efficiency of different materials, thicknesses, and layers used in properly fitted homemade masks was recently found to be similar to that of the medical masks that were tested (14). Thus, the option of universal masking is no longer held back by shortages.
I bolded one sentence for everyone to see. If you won't wear a mask for others, wear one for yourself and your family!
Oh please! what does Science have to say compared to FOX news. Fake Science!
/S/

Reactions: NUCat320
The top pandemic experts in Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, etc. thought it was madness when the CDC initially advised Americans not to wear masks/face coverings (it was pretty evident that it was BS to cover the fact that there weren't even enough masks for medical professionals).

The top pandemic experts in Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, etc. thought it was madness when the CDC initially advised Americans not to wear masks/face coverings (it was pretty evident that it was BS to cover the fact that there weren't even enough masks for medical professionals).
It was madness - but what were they to do? Given the epic failure to timely direct a surge of production of masks and other PPE, they knew that masks would be hoarded by the civilian population and by price-gouging profiteers -- to a far greater degree than happened anyway. Since there was a complete failure to boost supply, they had to do what they could to keep demand from skyrocketing.

Agree that the whole mask supply/production thing was messed up from the get-go.

From things like canceling an Obama program for a machine which could produce 1.5 million N95 masks a day to turning down an offer from an American mask manufacturer which gave the Feds 1st dibs to allowing tons of masks and medical equipment to be donated to China while making it even easier for US producers to export their wares.

But still could have cautioned that masks were needed by the medical professionals, but that homemade masks or even something as simple as a scarf was better than nothing (there are people who don't trust the CDC based on giving out false info).

Good points. I think my perspective is influenced by my own experience- I didn't need the CDC to tell me that a mask was a good idea in the case of a contagious respiratory virus. I was far from alone in that, but undoubtedly there were plenty of people in the other side of that.

It was madness - but what were they to do? Given the epic failure to timely direct a surge of production of masks and other PPE, they knew that masks would be hoarded by the civilian population and by price-gouging profiteers -- to a far greater degree than happened anyway. Since there was a complete failure to boost supply, they had to do what they could to keep demand from skyrocketing.

Good point Smithee.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT