ADVERTISEMENT

No way we have college football this season! Read this article in today's news!

But Titaniui, you have declared there would be a season.
I speak with forked tongue! Truthfully,I have no idea! I really believe once the children get back in school,they will dictate everything. The resources are not there to help the kids social distancie,keep clean, and continue with their education. As much as I,and all of you,love college football, the children come first! If we cannot guarantee their safety. Which I speculate we can't. Then,we are going to have major issues. Noone will pity that an entertainment sport like football ain't being played. Pro baseball ain't doing so well right now. If summer school is cancelled,and pools are closed, that will be a sign. Again,I don't know and I am not even sure this virus is worse than any flu season in the past. I do think that places that are notoriously unkept,such as nursing homes,jails, prisons,ER rooms, can be a sort of " Petri dish" for the virus to spread. But I'm not certain of that either. Lots of speculation right now.

It seems as though schools are figuring out a go forward plan.

Large lectures will move online. Small classes will be spaced. They have to figure out the social stuff....esp. cafeteria.

My child goes to school in Boston and while we're worried about her going back, we're aware that the incidence was pretty high so there is some herd immunity. But it's a tough issue for us.

It seems as though schools are figuring out a go forward plan.

Large lectures will move online. Small classes will be spaced. They have to figure out the social stuff....esp. cafeteria.

My child goes to school in Boston and while we're worried about her going back, we're aware that the incidence was pretty high so there is some herd immunity. But it's a tough issue for us.
Even the places with high incidences only saw about 1-2% of the population get infected. Now, if you assume, due to piss-poor testing, that the number of actual cases is way undercounted, we could multiply that by 10 and still be way below where you need to be for any herd immunity.

Even the places with high incidences only saw about 1-2% of the population get infected. Now, if you assume, due to piss-poor testing, that the number of actual cases is way undercounted, we could multiply that by 10 and still be way below where you need to be for any herd immunity.
More than a month ago, random antibody tests in NY showed something like 15-20% positive depending on where in the state.

https://www.livescience.com/covid-antibody-test-results-new-york-test.html

I would imagine it would be higher now

More than a month ago, random antibody tests in NY showed something like 15-20% positive depending on where in the state.

https://www.livescience.com/covid-antibody-test-results-new-york-test.html

I would imagine it would be higher now
I'm afraid you can't put much stock in those early studies. The antibody tests that first came out had unacceptably high false-positive rates. It is my understanding that better tests have come out since, but this study from back in April is probably highly flawed. None the less 15-20% was the assumption I made as well in my original post. That is still a long way from herd immunity.

The real question is whether having antibodies truly protects you. If so, then we should be out there recruiting the best athletes from those people and let them play!

I'm afraid you can't put much stock in those early studies. The antibody tests that first came out had unacceptably high false-positive rates. It is my understanding that better tests have come out since, but this study from back in April is probably highly flawed. None the less 15-20% was the assumption I made as well in my original post. That is still a long way from herd immunity.

The real question is whether having antibodies truly protects you. If so, then we should be out there recruiting the best athletes from those people and let them play!
Just saw this article on how the CDC is saying antibody tests may be wrong half the time! They should not be used to set policy.

Still that was back in April. My guess is that many had been lightly exposed and having the antibodies would provide some level of protection in that the body was already set up to make antibodies for this particular virus. The antibodies present would help to deal with any lite exposure but more importantly body would be ready to make more for a more significant exposure. Also since antibodies tend to take about two weeks to show up, even these numbers would be for people exposed by early April. By now those numbers would likely be much higher

Reactions: Gladeskat
Still that was back in April. My guess is that many had been lightly exposed and having the antibodies would provide some level of protection in that the body was already set up to make antibodies for this particular virus. The antibodies present would help to deal with any lite exposure but more importantly body would be ready to make more for a more significant exposure. Also since antibodies tend to take about two weeks to show up, even these numbers would be for people exposed by early April. By now those numbers would likely be much higher
I agree with everything you said... or.... rather, I would like to agree. We really don't have any insight into protection of humans from the virus due to antibodies, though the in vitro data is promising (the antibodies react with the virus and prevent it from infecting cells growing in a dish). And because the serological tests for antibodies remain so unreliable, we really have no idea how prevalent this is in our population. I agree the numbers are likely quite a bit higher than the 1-2% most communities are reporting based on testing, but we have no real credible basis yet for determining how high that number is. Regardless, I stand by my claim that it is doubtful the numbers are anywhere near high enough to provide any kind of herd immunity.

I agree with everything you said... or.... rather, I would like to agree. We really don't have any insight into protection of humans from the virus due to antibodies, though the in vitro data is promising (the antibodies react with the virus and prevent it from infecting cells growing in a dish). And because the serological tests for antibodies remain so unreliable, we really have no idea how prevalent this is in our population. I agree the numbers are likely quite a bit higher than the 1-2% most communities are reporting based on testing, but we have no real credible basis yet for determining how high that number is. Regardless, I stand by my claim that it is doubtful the numbers are anywhere near high enough to provide any kind of herd immunity.

Yeah, everything I've seen is that, for a virus that is as readily spread as this one, we'd need to have over 70% of people with antibodies to get to some degree of herd immunity. There's not much reason to think that we're anywhere close to that and certainly no testing data to base policy on.

Yeah, everything I've seen is that, for a virus that is as readily spread as this one, we'd need to have over 70% of people with antibodies to get to some degree of herd immunity. There's not much reason to think that we're anywhere close to that and certainly no testing data to base policy on.
Take a look online of the hoops that Great America is trying to do to open up. This includes temperature testing, all kids over two wearing masks. Social distancing,trying to keep rides clean. What a mess. It is helpful to have good hygiene,to keep our nursing homes, jails,prisons, Ears,and amusement parks safe and clean. It is sad it is taking a pandemic to ensure the cleanliness of our society. Max Weber ,noted sociologist said, " How we treat the poor is a reflection of us on our society". We need a kinder,gentler,and cleaner America says George Bush and wrassler/ titanium!

Again, a herd immunity of 70% essentially disappears in large crowds.
Take a look online of the hoops that Great America is trying to do to open up. This includes temperature testing, all kids over two wearing masks. Social distancing,trying to keep rides clean. What a mess. It is helpful to have good hygiene,to keep our nursing homes, jails,prisons, Ears,and amusement parks safe and clean. It is sad it is taking a pandemic to ensure the cleanliness of our society. Max Weber ,noted sociologist said, " How we treat the poor is a reflection of us on our society". We need a kinder,gentler,and cleaner America says George Bush and wrassler/ titanium!

COVID has little to do with societal cleanliness. It has a lot to do with a virus that is aerially dispersed in water droplets.

Reactions: Titanium999
COVID has little to do with societal cleanliness. It has a lot to do with a virus that is aerially dispersed in water droplets.
In fact, there was an article in the NYTimes yesterday reporting that the CDC thinks surface contact, though a possible route of infection, is likely a low risk and not a main mode of transmission of this virus. Doesn't mean we should be letting our guard down, but it does allow us to focus resources more on the main culprit -- person to person interactions (which is a depressing thing to type).

In fact, there was an article in the NYTimes yesterday reporting that the CDC thinks surface contact, though a possible route of infection, is likely a low risk and not a main mode of transmission of this virus. Doesn't mean we should be letting our guard down, but it does allow us to focus resources more on the main culprit -- person to person interactions (which is a depressing thing to type).
Isn’t it still true that the amount of deaths under the age of 30 is still very small?

Isn’t it still true that the amount of deaths under the age of 30 is still very small?
Just wondering what's the average age of the coaches, referees, trainers, team doctors, chain gang crew, media people, scoreboard operators and other stadium personal?

Just wondering what's the average age of the coaches, referees, trainers, team doctors, chain gang crew, media people, scoreboard operators and other stadium personal?
I see a real crisis brewing shortly. Nearly all of us want to see college football being played. But, those decisions are out of folks hands. I imagine teams will try and get up and running, and then have to shut things down rather quickly. The squeaky wheel gets the grease,so to speak. So as long as people are getting acutely sick, they are going to shut down contact sports. The Olympic Champion,and best wrestler on the planet,Sudelov from Russia,just got Covid-19. His family and some loved ones in his village got sick. All our isolating. Like always,I don't have any answers. I just think the children will dictate everything this summer. Camps,pools,gyms,are all closed for children. A real mess,I'm afraid. Kids always come first for all of us. We have to ensure their safety. Which we cannot do right now. We certainly don't want to experiment with children's safety. Special needs children have a right to free education in the least restrictive environment. A good percentage have respiratory issues. We cannot at this time ensure their safety.

I see a real crisis brewing shortly. Nearly all of us want to see college football being played. But, those decisions are out of folks hands. I imagine teams will try and get up and running, and then have to shut things down rather quickly. The squeaky wheel gets the grease,so to speak. So as long as people are getting acutely sick, they are going to shut down contact sports. The Olympic Champion,and best wrestler on the planet,Sudelov from Russia,just got Covid-19. His family and some loved ones in his village got sick. All our isolating. Like always,I don't have any answers. I just think the children will dictate everything this summer. Camps,pools,gyms,are all closed for children. A real mess,I'm afraid. Kids always come first for all of us. We have to ensure their safety. Which we cannot do right now. We certainly don't want to experiment with children's safety. Special needs children have a right to free education in the least restrictive environment. A good percentage have respiratory issues. We cannot at this time ensure their safety.
It appears that most of college football will be playing, not sure in certain states. Even the Bears are concerned about Illinois but feel things will work out with their nut job governor. But, as far as the NBA, if one player gets it then the whole team is out. Sorta crazy but a half ass team may win the NBA championship if someone from the Bucks, Lakers, and Clippers get the wuhan virus.

I'm not so sure this virus is as potent and deadly as once feared. Over the last 8-10 days,the number of deaths has declined. Stats say 92% of the people who perished in Illinois due to Covid 19 had preexisting conditions. I still have no idea how lethal the virus is. Hopefully,more data will come in the next few weeks.
I think a lot of people are trying to stay safe and that makes a difference. Many people don't go into public buildings with out a mask and here in Utah we were never totally shut down. Personally, I'm not ready to go back to restaurants, or school, certainly not church (and I love to go to church but I think public singing is one of the most dangerous things) and I limit my social circle to family (ten people, three have recovered from Covid and 5 friends.
My point is, one of the reasons it is not spreading rapidly (number of cases are still increasing about 15% per week in Utah) is that some people are taking precautions. I wish more people would wear masks because by not wearing a mask, they take away my freedom and if escalate they will take away all our freedom to watch football. (had to keep it football related:))

Reactions: Titanium999
I think a lot of people are trying to stay safe and that makes a difference. Many people don't go into public buildings with out a mask and here in Utah we were never totally shut down. Personally, I'm not ready to go back to restaurants, or school, certainly not church (and I love to go to church but I think public singing is one of the most dangerous things) and I limit my social circle to family (ten people, three have recovered from Covid and 5 friends.
My point is, one of the reasons it is not spreading rapidly (number of cases are still increasing about 15% per week in Utah) is that some people are taking precautions. I wish more people would wear masks because by not wearing a mask, they take away my freedom and if escalate they will take away all our freedom to watch football. (had to keep it football related:))
People are going stir crazy here. We are not seeing a spike in cases and the hospital staffing needs are being met.

Reactions: Bwm57
Covid deaths have dramatically declined in Illinois. Only 21 yesterday. That is a good sign. 21 is 21 too many,but since 92% have preexisting conditions,it may be hypothesized/ likely only 1-2 can be directly traced to COVID 19.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT