ADVERTISEMENT

Nojel Eastern to the transfer portal

It appears that Eastern announced for Michigan but Michigan never has never acknowledged it or plan to take him.

Michigan will get Chaundee Brown today, a transfer from Wake Forest. Same position as Eastern. Much better player.

If true, that is bad news.

Wish he'd go back to Purdue and finish his degree.

Why would he have played his last college hoops?

Numerous possible reasons. He is required to sit out a year and decides instead to play for a paycheck somewhere. Or he decides he would rather play for pay instead of playing down now. That assumes, of course, there is a willing payer somewhere in this world. He may find that his college options are too far down for his liking and there are no professional takers.

I don't think there's a good basketball ending in any of this for Nojel. Even if he catches on somewhere.

GOUNUII

Great defender but he can't score. Don't know how much of a market there us for that.

Yeah, we had one of those on the NCAA team.......;)

Lumpkin hit a number of big shots for the 2017 Cats. And you had to defend him from beyond the arc. He could also make his FTs. Eastern is beyond abysmal on the offensive end. You don’t even have to guard him outside the paint. Just no comparison between the 2 on the offensive end.

GOUNUII

Reactions: DaCat
Lumpkin hit a number of big shots for the 2017 Cats. And you had to defend him from beyond the arc. He could also make his FTs. Eastern is beyond abysmal on the offensive end. You don’t even have to guard him outside the paint. Just no comparison between the 2 on the offensive end.

GOUNUII
Anthony Gaines says "Hey"......

Reactions: Vassar69
Why must you guys always do this to me? Please don't make me start calling Sanjay the most overrated player on this board. I don't want to do that to him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Lumpkin was "a guy."

Since there's no comparison, let's compare and actually look at the conference stats.

Lumpkin (senior season)
5.1 p/game
28% from 3 (25 attempts)
62% FT (29 attempts)
67% from 2 (39 attempts)
9.3 TRB%
500 mins
9 steals
84 rebounds
4 blocks
11 turnovers
.105 win shares/40m
103.1 defensive rating

Gaines ('18-'19)
11 p/game
25% from 3 (36 attempts)
80% FT (65 attempts)
36% from 2 (88 attempts)
10.2 TRB%
527 mins
17 steals
94 rebounds
8 blocks
17 turnovers
.089 win shares/40m
102.1 defensive rating

And Gaines was only a sophomore. Want to compare Lumpkin's sophomore numbers to Gaines? One hint: Lumpkin's defensive rating was 112.7 in conference.

Without lumpkin we do not make the tournament. Limited offensively but otherwise very skilled at other aspects of the game. Nojel Eastern May play professionally..,in Romania

Reactions: DaCat
Without lumpkin we do not make the tournament. Limited offensively but otherwise very skilled at other aspects of the game. Nojel Eastern May play professionally..,in Romania
We know in hindsight how thin the margin is between winning and losing. The 2016-17 team made the tournament, while the next year, with basically the same team back minus Lumpkin and Tap, we had a losing record.

Why must you guys always do this to me? Please don't make me start calling Sanjay the most overrated player on this board. I don't want to do that to him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Lumpkin was "a guy."

Since there's no comparison, let's compare and actually look at the conference stats.

Lumpkin (senior season)
5.1 p/game
28% from 3 (25 attempts)
62% FT (29 attempts)
67% from 2 (39 attempts)
9.3 TRB%
500 mins
9 steals
84 rebounds
4 blocks
11 turnovers
.105 win shares/40m
103.1 defensive rating

Gaines ('18-'19)
11 p/game
25% from 3 (36 attempts)
80% FT (65 attempts)
36% from 2 (88 attempts)
10.2 TRB%
527 mins
17 steals
94 rebounds
8 blocks
17 turnovers
.089 win shares/40m
102.1 defensive rating

And Gaines was only a sophomore. Want to compare Lumpkin's sophomore numbers to Gaines? One hint: Lumpkin's defensive rating was 112.7 in conference.
You are wrong.

I sure liked his plays that didn't make the stats sheet, though, like the time he forced the Illini star player to dribble off his leg with 3 seconds left in a game for the win.

Re-upping this after Eastern tweeted he was denied admission to Michigan ...

Hope he goes back to Purdue and finishes his degree...whether he plays bball there or not.

Hope he goes back to Purdue and finishes his degree...whether he plays bball there or not.
Judging from Painter's reaction to Eastern joining the portal, I'm thinking that's not an option anymore.

Judging from Painter's reaction to Eastern joining the portal, I'm thinking that's not an option anymore.

it would be good recruiting mojo....good story to share w parents...kid didn't turn out as a player but I kept the door open

I think Painter's a decent guy...hope it's offered

it would be good recruiting mojo....good story to share w parents...kid didn't turn out as a player but I kept the door open

I think Painter's a decent guy...hope it's offered

Why would he return to Purdue and give up basketball? There are plenty of schools that will allow him to transfer in.

ADVERTISEMENT