ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern acceptance rate falls to 9 percent

Probably not the right place to ask for input/advice, but since we're OT, here goes...

My daughter was fortunate enough to be admitted to some fine schools, but is tremendously conflicted about her final three choices: NU, Georgetown, and Michigan. My sense is that her main concerns about NU are: (1) its proximity to home -- it's really close; and (2) the lack of a BBA program -- she thinks she's interested in going into the business world, and she has been pre-admitted into the undergraduate business schools at Georgetown and Michigan. I'd happily take any free advice on her behalf... especially from those with experience with any of those three schools at the undergrad level, and/or the value of a BBA degree from a top program vs. e.g. an Econ degree from NU.

My son went to Michigan and he loved it. You have tons of choices both academically and socially, both good and bad. The majors that actually had a job attached to them were easily placed upon graduation. Companies like Microsoft and Apple come on campus and interview Seniors. Lots of my sons friends had great jobs lined up months before graduation. Ann Arbor is a pleasant town.
All those things can probably be said about a lot of schools.
My Daughter went to NU for Grad School. It was a different experience but also very positive and the degree had a specific job attached and she was placed before graduation.
If your daughter lives on campus, the close to home part might mitigate if you can resist the lure of texting and cell phones and make a bit of break. Socially that might be difficult if she has friends that stayed in the area. It is nice to make a clean break and start over socially to move into the person you want to be with out others preconception of who you are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT