ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern football will return to Wrigley Field in 2020 to face Wisconsin

Anyone know if they have gotten the dimensional problem fixed? Each team going the same direction against Illinois was just stupid.

Anyone know if they have gotten the dimensional problem fixed? Each team going the same direction against Illinois was just stupid.
Yes, the stands along the 3rd base side can now be moved with a push of a button.

This past off season Wrigley redid the visitors dugout and locker room. With that revision they put in removable box seats to allow for an appropriate field per NCAA regulation.

I am not surprised this is coming in short order. I am with the opponent I thought it would have been an out of conference opponent.

Agreed. I won't be there. It was hideous the last time. There are simply very few decent seats.
Nope. It was electric. Got there really early. The excitement inside and outside was palpable. We all had a blast. National exposure, Game Day on Clark Street, news cameras everywhere, game sold out, party on Sheffield, purple Wrigley sign, huge posters of players, plus me and 15 of my family and friends.

As far as seats go, I've never understood the hang up. Maybe it's just me, but I can happily follow a game wherever I sit. I just soak it all in.

Further, we all complain about the atmosphere at Ryan, and then when we finally get atmosphere, we find something else to complain about.

It was just too bad the game was terrible.

I hate that damn stadium for baseball and it is even worse for football.

I don't get the fascination with wedging a football game into an ancient stadium that was purpose-built for baseball, when there are two decent football stadia within 10 miles north and south, but I'll most likely be watching on TV anyway.

I don't get the fascination with wedging a football game into an ancient stadium that was purpose-built for baseball, when there are two decent football stadia within 10 miles north and south, but I'll most likely be watching on TV anyway.
I don't get the fascination with professional wrestling but tons of people follow it. For now, games at Wrigley are a spectacle.

Following the renovations, Wrigley is a much better stadium than Ryan Field. If you haven’t been there recently, I’d hold off on the hate. And this is coming from someone who widely called Wigley a dump the first few times I went about 10-15 years ago.

Football was played there for 50 years.

It’ll be ok and this’ll be fun!

Reactions: willycat
I agree that the pre-game and post-game atmosphere (in spite of the loss) was fantastic. I also agree with No Chores that the sight lines were hideous.

I'm very excited for this. Wrigley Field is just about my favorite place on earth, and any chance to spend time there is a good thing. As for the date, I'm a little concerned that it might be over-shadowed by a pretty significant event 4 days earlier.

This past off season Wrigley redid the visitors dugout and locker room. With that revision they put in removable box seats to allow for an appropriate field per NCAA regulation.

I am not surprised this is coming in short order. I am with the opponent I thought it would have been an out of conference opponent.
Wrigley's 5 year renovation should be complete by then, with all of the restaurants and bars up and ready. I also would have liked a non conference opponent but with only November dates available that would be hard to make happen. Still instead of Wisconsin, I would have preferred an opponent that doesn't travel as well, maybe Purdue or Minnesota.

Do you feel that way about a certain stadium in New York that hosts a bowl game?

I'm pumped. The Brian "Wrong Way" Peters game was awesome, and this will be even awesome-er. Wrigleyville was electric back then, and with the totally revamped neighborhood, the improved stadium, and a marquee opponent with a rabid fan base ... did I mention I'm pumped?

Agree, it's a dump !

and, Go Cats !!
source.gif

Do you feel that way about a certain stadium in New York that hosts a bowl game?

Yeah, if we were going well out of our way to schedule a "home" game with, say, Syracuse at Yankee Stadium, I would think that was rather odd. Wouldn't you? (A bowl game is different; they're inviting us, we're not picking the venue.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT