ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern football will return to Wrigley Field in 2020 to face Wisconsin

I was skimming this thread for kicks, not planning to get involved, and then i read this post. What are you talking about? Per ESPN, the 2006 White Sox played to 90% capacity (8th in the MLB). From baseball-statistic.com, their smallest home attendance in September was just under 34k.

I do think winning would do wonders for the Sox. They may not outdraw the Cubs, but they can certainly be in the top 10 for the league. Right now they have the 8th longest postseason drought in the four major sports. And in their history they've never made the postseason in consecutive seasons. Let that sink in. So winning has definitely been a problem.
Yes it's probably true that they had improved attendance after winning it all the year before but that 34K figure must be tickets sold and not in the seats because their were lots of empty spaces at the end of 2005. Doubt they will ever be in the top ten of MLB attendance and first they need to dig themselves off of the bottom. There are only 3 teams in baseball with worst attendance then the Sox.

With all the never ending construction on Eisenhower and other expressways the last few years, downtown traffic does get pretty bad and unlike the Cubs, most of the attendance for the Sox drive to the park because, you know, they have something called parking around the park. It is possible to take the train down and the L to the park but you have to worry about the length of the game to get back so just easier to drive. You do know that the stadium was built for only $137 million right? (Compare that to the new Mets stadium costing $900 mill) That is a pittance by comparison to other stadium costs. And that the Sox themselves put another $118 mill of their money (much obtained for naming rights) into the renovation done between 2001-2007 for a stadium that they do not own. Sounds like a reasonable deal for both sides and not so much taxpayer money going into Riensdorf's pockets
Maybe they did use the naming rights cash to pay for the renovation but the state's taxpayers paid for the added sports bar and also the Sox don't pay anything back to the state if their attendance is below XX, which it always is.

Let’s start with the fact that Hahn’s draft picks and IFA signings have not produced anything. Anderson, Rodon, Fulmer, Berger, Collins (who is hitting .250 despite being considered an offensive prospect who is a defensive liability) look to be at best mediocre major leaguers despite being very high round picks. At worst several could end up as 4A players. You can’t rebuild a franchise and miss on so many high round picks. On the IFA front, besides Roberts, I can’t think of one promising surefire prospect despite having spent a lot of money over the past several years. Their best prospects are guys identified and developed by other organizations, especially Eloy who will be a superstar. Even on the trade front he managed to get fleeced trading away the best prospect, Fernando Tatis, they’ve sourced on their own in years.

Unlike Sox fans, I don’t hate the team on the other side of town. My kids are Sox fans and I enjoy going to their games. I hope they become competitive again but I have serious doubts about Hahn and think in a best case scenario these guys are three years away from even being competitive again.
I don't really know about Hahn as I feel the jury is still out. I could not stand Kenny Williams as he destroyed one of the very best farm systems in Baseball in about 3 years I have to think Hahn is better but that is a very low bar and KW likely picked him . Under KW there was really no one who came through their farm system and the whole system was n need of a drastic rebuild Don't think they had the really high draft picks until they dismantled the team over the last couple years. And in Baseball only the very top picks are anything even close to sure things. Baseball takes so long to develop players (generally 3-6 years) it normally takes quite a while to get any but the very top picks into the majors and productive. And there is a lot of falloff

Anderson was drafted 17th (not exactly a top overall draft pick) in 2013 and while he has skills, he is not a finished product and still needs to polish. The first real top draft pick they had was Carlos Rodon (3) in 2014 and while he has great stuff and made it up quickly, he has had injury and health problems throughout his career. 2015 it was Fulmer (8) who is presently with the big club. Collins was 10 in 2016 and has not made it yet but not sure at that spot you can really classify him at 10 as a top pick. Too soon to tell. Next 26 definitely not a top pick and last year 11 and way to soon to tell. The only way you can deal with the uncertainties in Baseball player development other than the very top pick is numbers and CWS are putting together a large number of top prospects over a short period of time. We will see what happens. .

By comparison, the CUBS started their rebuild several years earlier had had 4 top ten draft picks that made it up in one year to get them over the top. Much was the high level they were picking at with a 9 a 6 and a 2 and a 4 (all higher than most of the Sox top picks with more time to develop. And if you look at the history of their draft picks prior to this group of 4, pretty bad.

Last edited:
Corb, they basically used there IFA money all in one guy, Robert. Along with the Draft, Obtaining the best prospects from other teams as part of trades is exactly what drives a rebuild. Right now the Quintana (who I like) trade looks like it could be a long term good deal for the Sox. Kopech might not be Sale, but he should be a top end starter and moncada is what 23 years old and a starting position player. Might be a good trade for both. Trading Eaton and getting what Hahn did was nothing short of a miracle.

I will give you that their draft picks have not been terrific, but they will have 2-3 more shots at this. In baseball you have to focus on more than 1st round picks. If you can get 2-3 in a draft class to be Major league contributors you have done well.

This can’t be a surprise that the Sox are awful at this stage of a rebuild. Just like the Cubs and Astros were at this stage.
They really have not gotten much up to major league level yet. We shall see

You can get to the Cell or whatever it is called quicker from Schaumburg than you can get to Wrigley.
Sorry but no. Not with the construction. If I drive can go back ways to Wrigley area than t cannot go to Cell and with the construction... Ugh. In general, I take train downtown and L to Wrigley which for day games is pretty good. Can do the same for Cell but most games are night and then you have train schedule on way back to deal and driving works better but you are dealing with rush hour and construction traffic jams that suck the life out of you

Maybe they did use the naming rights cash to pay for the renovation but the state's taxpayers paid for the added sports bar and also the Sox don't pay anything back to the state if their attendance is below XX, which it always is.
So why are you not complaining about Soldier Field? Who owns that and how was it paid for? What are the main tenants the Chicago Bears worth?

How about Wintrust arena? You know one that is home to a private university basketball team. What is the endowment at DePaul? That’s right public funds help build it. Most debt being re-paid by increased hotel taxes.

I think your hatred for the Sox fuels your constant gripe about the stadium while the others get a free pass in Willy world. Right or wrong, Public participation in Stadium/Arena building/renovations is not a rare thing in this country.

Reactions: Fitz51
I don't really know about Hahn as I feel the jury is still out. I could not stand Kenny Williams as he destroyed one of the very best farm systems in Baseball in about 3 years I have to think Hahn is better but that is a very low bar and KW likely picked him . Under KW there was really no one who came through their farm system and the whole system was n need of a drastic rebuild Don't think they had the really high draft picks until they dismantled the team over the last couple years. And in Baseball only the very top picks are anything even close to sure things. Baseball takes so long to develop players (generally 3-6 years) it normally takes quite a while to get any but the very top picks into the majors and productive. And there is a lot of falloff

First top draft pick they had was Carlos Rodon (3) in 2014and while he has great stuff and made it up quickly, he has had injury and health problems throughout his career. 2015 it was Fulmer (8) who is presently with the big club. Collins was 10 in 2016 and has not made it yet but not sure at that spot you can really classify him at 10 as a top pick. Too soon to tell. Next 26 definitely not a top pick and last year 11 and way to soon to tell. The only way you can deal with the uncertainties in Baseball player development other than the very top pick is numbers and CWS are putting together a large number of top prospects over a short period of time. We will see what happens. .

By comparison, the CUBS started their rebuild several years earlier had had 4 top ten draft picks that made it up in one year to get them over the top. Much was the high level they were picking at with a 9 a 6 and a 2 and a 4 (all higher than most of the Sox top picks with more time to develop. And if you look at the history of their draft picks prior to this group of 4, pretty bad.

Kenny didn’t pick Hahn. Hahn had to basically beg Reinsdorf to get an entry level scouting position, and Reinsdorf told him no because he has a billion degrees and didn’t “belong” in baseball. Hahn wrote Reinsdorf a hand written letter explaining how he could help the organization, Reinsdorf finally obliged, and the rest is history. Hahn is Reinsdorf’s guy, not Kenny’s.

Once named GM and until the Collins pick, Kenny was in charge of the draft and Hahn was in charge of dealing with agents, proposing trades, and contract negotiation. Hahn is the reason Sale, Quintana and Eaton were all signed to insanely team friendly deals. Hahn had little say in the draft, until recently when they started embracing advanced analytics more, cleaned house in the scouting department, and chose ‘his’ guys.

That’s why Corbi is incorrect. None of us have any idea how they draft or develop now, because all of the guys Hahn has drafted and developed are still in the minors. He’s looking at ancient history. Gone are the days of drafting the Jared Mitchell and Joe Borchard types they hope they can groom into baseball players.

If it were up to Hahn, he would have started the rebuild two years earlier with trades. Reinsdorf and Kenny wanted to go for it still, in spite of Hahn’s wishes. After the Sale jersey cutting incident, Reinsdorf approached Hahn and said “were going to do it your way” and they have ever since.

Kenny acts as a liaison between Hahn and Reinsdorf now, while having his hand in scouting, etc. But it’s only been a few years that Hahn has actually ran the show, in spite of being GM for 5ish years now.

Source: Rick Hahn told this all to me himself.

It is a completely different organization now than it was just 2-3 years ago.

How's this Cubs Dynasty working out? In the end, Theo (who admittedly is an amazing GM/Exec) will get as many rings as the terrible Kenny Williams did. Baseball is hard.
Well, he already had a couple before he got here

Let’s start with the fact that Hahn’s draft picks and IFA signings have not produced anything. Anderson, Rodon, Fulmer, Berger, Collins (who is hitting .250 despite being considered an offensive prospect who is a defensive liability) look to be at best mediocre major leaguers despite being very high round picks. At worst several could end up as 4A players. You can’t rebuild a franchise and miss on so many high round picks. On the IFA front, besides Roberts, I can’t think of one promising surefire prospect despite having spent a lot of money over the past several years. Their best prospects are guys identified and developed by other organizations, especially Eloy who will be a superstar. Even on the trade front he managed to get fleeced trading away the best prospect, Fernando Tatis, they’ve sourced on their own in years.

Unlike Sox fans, I don’t hate the team on the other side of town. My kids are Sox fans and I enjoy going to their games. I hope they become competitive again but I have serious doubts about Hahn and think in a best case scenario these guys are three years away from even being competitive again.
Sure you do every chance you get.

1. Tell me what Anderson’s BABIP is and I’ll tel you why his batting average is low.

2. Anderson is walking at an 8% clip and showing extreme progress offensively. His k rate is also down for the 3rd year in a row

3. Hahn has drafted Zack Collins and Jake burger. That is it. Prior to that Kenny Williams controlled the draft due to his former prowess as a scout. So, you have no idea how his drafts have been.

4. The point of me stating players pre Theo era (whom most cubs fans think is the GM) was to show 1st round picks bust. A lot.

4. Chris Getz was hired one year ago so as the director of player development, so you have ZERO CLUE how they develop players. I don’t either, but they have shifted their drafting/development strategies completely and totally in the last 2-3 years. Nick Hostetler was Also named the scouting director about 3 years ago. They went from drafting athletes first to baseball players first, athletes second.

Would you like me to keep going?
Please do

Sorry but no. Not with the construction. If I drive can go back ways to Wrigley area than t cannot go to Cell and with the construction... Ugh. In general, I take train downtown and L to Wrigley which for day games is pretty good. Can do the same for Cell but most games are night and then you have train schedule on way back to deal and driving works better but you are dealing with rush hour and construction traffic jams that suck the life out of you
I know you live in Schaumburg and I have lived in Schaumburg and travel time is a horse a piece. One is 25 miles from Schaumburg and one is 26. My buddies and I have had this debate many times, we started timing it and I can assure you total travel time by car to Sox park is usually less. I am not sure why you can travel back roads to Wrigley but can’t travel back roads to G Rate. We do it all the time. I have traveled to both parks well over 100 times each from or real close to this area. Getting to Wrigley for a weekday day game is quicker than getting to G Rate for a night games. Conversely, getting home from a G Rate night game is much faster than getting home from a Wrigley day game. This can go either way for travel time.

Kenny didn’t pick Hahn. Hahn had to basically beg Reinsdorf to get an entry level scouting position, and Reinsdorf told him no because he has a billion degrees and didn’t “belong” in baseball. Hahn wrote Reinsdorf a hand written letter explaining how he could help the organization, Reinsdorf finally obliged, and the rest is history. Hahn is Reinsdorf’s guy, not Kenny’s.

Once named GM and until the Collins pick, Kenny was in charge of the draft and Hahn was in charge of dealing with agents, proposing trades, and contract negotiation. Hahn is the reason Sale, Quintana and Eaton were all signed to insanely team friendly deals. Hahn had little say in the draft, until recently when they started embracing advanced analytics more, cleaned house in the scouting department, and chose ‘his’ guys.

That’s why Corbi is incorrect. None of us have any idea how they draft or develop now, because all of the guys Hahn has drafted and developed are still in the minors. He’s looking at ancient history. Gone are the days of drafting the Jared Mitchell and Joe Borchard types they hope they can groom into baseball players.

If it were up to Hahn, he would have started the rebuild two years earlier with trades. Reinsdorf and Kenny wanted to go for it still, in spite of Hahn’s wishes. After the Sale jersey cutting incident, Reinsdorf approached Hahn and said “were going to do it your way” and they have ever since.

Kenny acts as a liaison between Hahn and Reinsdorf now, while having his hand in scouting, etc. But it’s only been a few years that Hahn has actually ran the show, in spite of being GM for 5ish years now.

Source: Rick Hahn told this all to me himself.

It is a completely different organization now than it was just 2-3 years ago.
Thanks. I did not know the exact history. Again I cannot stand KW and wanted him out of the organization ASAP. At least he is sort of out of the way now

Yes it's probably true that they had improved attendance after winning it all the year before but that 34K figure must be tickets sold and not in the seats because their were lots of empty spaces at the end of 2005. Doubt they will ever be in the top ten of MLB attendance and first they need to dig themselves off of the bottom. There are only 3 teams in baseball with worst attendance then the Sox.

They should reduce seating capacity.

They really have not gotten much up to major league level yet. We shall see
I suggest we show some patience:

Yoan Moncada-23
Lucas Giolito -23
Tim Anderson-24
Reynaldo Lopez -24
Carlos Rodon-25
Eloy Jimenez-21
Michael Kopech -21
Luis Robert -20
Dylan Cease -22
Alec Hansen -23
Dane Dunning 23
Zack Collins - 23
Blake Rutherford -20
Jake Burger -21
Zack Burdi-22

They won’t all make it, but here are 15 young players with major league potential. I am done now, maybe.

I know you live in Schaumburg and I have lived in Schaumburg and travel time is a horse a piece. One is 25 miles from Schaumburg and one is 26. My buddies and I have had this debate many times, we started timing it and I can assure you total travel time by car to Sox park is usually less. I am not sure why you can travel back roads to Wrigley but can’t travel back roads to G Rate. We do it all the time. I have traveled to both parks well over 100 times each from or real close to this area. Getting to Wrigley for a weekday day game is quicker than getting to G Rate for a night games. Conversely, getting home from a G Rate night game is much faster than getting home from a Wrigley day game. This can go either way for travel time.
I live near Schaumburg (Roselle) but not in it and really close and familiar with some ways better than expressways. Going in on Irving Park for example which is a couple blocks from my house and limited backtracking. Back ways to Cell not so clear cut and I am far less familiar with that area. Have often gone in on the train (walking distance to house) taken train down and L. Works better for day game than night game as on the way back last trains are 10:40 or 12:40. Also last year found out they ran a special bus down to Wrigley for Schaumburg and back after games (cheap) Takes a little longer but pretty convienent . So the only real alternative for Sox is to drive and over the last couple years that has taken us into construction crap. You are right, far better to drive back for the cell. But getting there...

All that said, I go with better half to Cubs games (she is the Cubs fan) or Sox but she has been less willing to do the latter lately because of the poor product on the field. Almost got her for bleachers and two brews for 22. Now that is a good deal. (she refuses to go to upper deck) Maybe I will get her there.

Last edited:

Yoan Moncada-23
Lucas Giolito -23
Tim Anderson-24
Reynaldo Lopez -24
Carlos Rodon-25
Eloy Jimenez-21
Michael Kopech -21
Luis Robert -20
Dylan Cease -22
Alec Hansen -23
Dane Dunning 23
Zack Collins - 23
Blake Rutherford -20
Jake Burger -21
Zack Burdi-22

They won’t all make it, but here are 15 young players with major league potential. I am done now, maybe.
You'll be back.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
People forget what attendance was like years ago. Only a couple teams even broke the million level in all of baseball (and the Cubs definitely were not one of them) . They Yankees and I do not remember who else. Now if you do not do 2,5 million it is deemed failure

Yoan Moncada-23
Lucas Giolito -23
Tim Anderson-24
Reynaldo Lopez -24
Carlos Rodon-25
Eloy Jimenez-21
Michael Kopech -21
Luis Robert -20
Dylan Cease -22
Alec Hansen -23
Dane Dunning 23
Zack Collins - 23
Blake Rutherford -20
Jake Burger -21
Zack Burdi-22

Don’t forget Basabe, Adolfo, Ian Hamilton (will get the call this year, straight FILTHY reliever), Tyler Johnson, Jordan Guerrero, Jordan Stephens (will also get called up in the next few weeks id guess), the 4th pick on Monday, top 5 (maybe 1st overall) pick in 2019, and a penalty free international J2 class in 2019

Not to mention zero long term pay roll commitments. This team is going to be contending for division titles for a decade straight.

“They’re not showing much promise” or whatever Corbi said? So, so wrong. Everything is going according to plan right now

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
So why are you not complaining about Soldier Field? Who owns that and how was it paid for? What are the main tenants the Chicago Bears worth?

How about Wintrust arena? You know one that is home to a private university basketball team. What is the endowment at DePaul? That’s right public funds help build it. Most debt being re-paid by increased hotel taxes.

I think your hatred for the Sox fuels your constant gripe about the stadium while the others get a free pass in Willy world. Right or wrong, Public participation in Stadium/Arena building/renovations is not a rare thing in this country.
I have stated over and over again that the Wintrust deal should never have taken place with public funds. Soldier Field was also a boondoggle, pushed by the politicians and the McCaskey's and besides it ruined a National Landmark. Finally public financing should be a very rare thing in the U.S. but thanks to then Governor Thompson he gave that bad deal to Reinsdorf.

I have seats on the 50, too. I still enjoyed Wrigley.
As a one off it was an event. Before and after was great the game sightlines etc, not so great. But after being there once appeal is not the same

As a one off it was an event. Before and after was great the game sightlines etc, not so great. But after being there once appeal is not the same
It will be "an event" again and every time they play at Wrigley. How did that NIU game go at the "arrow-down field? Or was then known as the Cell or Comiskey?

I follow baseball. I said Hahn has not done a good job drafting or signing IFAs. The best prospects they have were acquired through trades and last I checked they don’t have any Quintanas or Sales left to trade. Unless Hahn gets his act together, the rebuild is going to fizzle because they won’t have enough players to surround Jimenez, Moncada, Kopech and probably Roberts.

None of those draft picks worked out….

Lol…oh corbi… sheets, Vaughan, crochet to name a few. Abreu, Robert on the international signing front. What a brilliant sports mind…

Reactions: hdhntr1
You could put Sox park in the back yard of most Sox fans and they still wouldn’t pay to see a Sox team play a game. The only time they show up is if the team is winning the division and even then it’s sporadic. For whatever reasons, the average Sox fan is cheap, cynical and a negative nelllie whose favorite past time is talking trash about the Cubs and Cubs fans rather than supporting their team. I am a Cubs fan who enjoys taking my two Sox fan sons to a Sox game any day of the week. Easy access, convenient parking, good food, affordable tickets. What more can you ask for? Reinsdorf or the new Sox owner should seriously consider moving the team to a new city. Sox fans don’t deserve the team.

Negative Nellie - add angry and you have our two favorite cub fans around here :p

Whenever someone mentions Wrigley, I think of the Illinois game. Especially now. Playing only in on direction resonates poignantly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT