ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern Worried About Being Thrown Out of Big Ten

FrancisSearle75

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Lincoln Park
If you feel like reading something non COVID-19 related. An interesting article came out this morning detailing the voting process for adding Penn State to the Big Ten thirty years ago. Northwestern was an integral part of the decision.

The final vote for including PSU wasn't unanimous. It was 7-3 which was the minimum result required. Michigan, Indiana, and Michigan State were the objectors.

However, the preliminary vote was 5-5. Northwestern being one of the "no" votes.

Northwestern president Arnold Weber had absorbed fears from many on his board of trustees that PSU’s inclusion could well mean NU’s banishment.

Donna Shalala, the Wisconsin president at the time, related Northwestern’s trepidation: “In many ways, even though they had decent sports, they did not then have competitive football. And he was afraid we were going to throw them out and just have nothing but public universities. Northwestern was the only private university.”

“Arnie Weber was the key.” It didn’t hurt that Weber was not only an Illinois graduate but something of a free spirit as university presidents go. An economics major at UI, as an avocation he edited a long-forgotten risqué humor magazine called Shaft created by none other than soon-to-be Playboy publisher Hugh Hefner. Weber died just three weeks ago on Aug. 20, a month shy of his 91st birthday.

“Northwestern was paranoid because they thought Penn State was being brought in to the Big Ten in order to kick them out. Arnie’s trustees I’m sure were telling him: ‘Don’t mess with this. It’s not going to be good for us.’”

"We cut a deal. We would guarantee [Northwestern] that we would not allow another school in after Penn State – for I don’t remember exactly how many years.

"But Arnie was a good friend of mine. We had to assure him that we would not take another school in. He was worried about Notre Dame, too.

“Tell you the truth, no one was thinking about throwing Northwestern out. We simply wanted to add Penn State to get the Eastern media market. And because Penn State looked like us. It was a big public [university] with lots of sports, nationally competitive.”

And because of the expansion into Eastern television markets, the Big Ten became a more valuable product to cable suppliers and networks.

“And Arnie bought the deal. It was like old-fashioned politics. We walked out, we negotiated the deal, we went back in and we voted.”

How Penn State nearly ended up in ACC: Of Knight and Bo and which Big Ten schools voted “no” in 1990

If you feel like reading something non COVID-19 related. An interesting article came out this morning detailing the voting process for adding Penn State to the Big Ten thirty years ago. Northwestern was an integral part of the decision.

The final vote for including PSU wasn't unanimous. It was 7-3 which was the minimum result required. Michigan, Indiana, and Michigan State were the objectors.

However, the preliminary vote was 5-5. Northwestern being one of the "no" votes.

Northwestern president Arnold Weber had absorbed fears from many on his board of trustees that PSU’s inclusion could well mean NU’s banishment.

Donna Shalala, the Wisconsin president at the time, related Northwestern’s trepidation: “In many ways, even though they had decent sports, they did not then have competitive football. And he was afraid we were going to throw them out and just have nothing but public universities. Northwestern was the only private university.”

“Arnie Weber was the key.” It didn’t hurt that Weber was not only an Illinois graduate but something of a free spirit as university presidents go. An economics major at UI, as an avocation he edited a long-forgotten risqué humor magazine called Shaft created by none other than soon-to-be Playboy publisher Hugh Hefner. Weber died just three weeks ago on Aug. 20, a month shy of his 91st birthday.

“Northwestern was paranoid because they thought Penn State was being brought in to the Big Ten in order to kick them out. Arnie’s trustees I’m sure were telling him: ‘Don’t mess with this. It’s not going to be good for us.’”

"We cut a deal. We would guarantee [Northwestern] that we would not allow another school in after Penn State – for I don’t remember exactly how many years.

"But Arnie was a good friend of mine. We had to assure him that we would not take another school in. He was worried about Notre Dame, too.

“Tell you the truth, no one was thinking about throwing Northwestern out. We simply wanted to add Penn State to get the Eastern media market. And because Penn State looked like us. It was a big public [university] with lots of sports, nationally competitive.”

And because of the expansion into Eastern television markets, the Big Ten became a more valuable product to cable suppliers and networks.

“And Arnie bought the deal. It was like old-fashioned politics. We walked out, we negotiated the deal, we went back in and we voted.”

How Penn State nearly ended up in ACC: Of Knight and Bo and which Big Ten schools voted “no” in 1990

Thanks for sharing, interesting read. I'm curious, what was the speculation re: where Northwestern would go if we ever left or were kicked out of the Big 10? I can't think of single conference that would make sense. Ivy League is a no-go because of geography and the exclusive/historical aspect of the league. If we had to go to another conference maybe the ACC? Georgia Tech, Boston College, Duke are all academic peers. At the point was becoming University of Chicago 2.0 on the table? I don’t think we would have joined the MAC, Horizon or the Valley.

Last edited:
Reactions: techtim72
Thanks for sharing, interesting read. I'm curious, what was the speculation re: where Northwestern would go if we ever left or were kicked out of the Big 10? I can't think of single conference that would make sense. Ivy League is a no-go because of geography and the exclusive/historical aspect of the league. If we had to go to another conference maybe the ACC? Georgia Tech, Boston College, Duke are all academic peers. At the point was becoming University of Chicago 2.0 on the table? I don’t think we would have joined the MAC, Horizon or the Valley.

The Ivy League, at the time, actually would have been an option. NU and the Ivies had looked at each other during the low point of NU's football dark age in the late '70s - early '80s, but NU decided to stick it out in the Big Ten.

I had always heard that NU could not be removed from the conference without cause, because it is a charter member. Weber's concern, as expressed in the article above, leads me to think that the old charter protection story is a myth.

The Ivy League, at the time, actually would have been an option. NU and the Ivies had looked at each other during the low point of NU's football dark age in the late '70s - early '80s, but NU decided to stick it out in the Big Ten.
NU even played Princeton in a football game to explore that option.

I had always heard that NU could not be removed from the conference without cause, because it is a charter member. Weber's concern, as expressed in the article above, leads me to think that the old charter protection story is a myth.

Any agreement among multiple parties that makes sense has a super-majority (ultimate power) clause.

Quite frankly, NU pre-1990 should have been kicked out of the B1G. I’m glad they weren’t. It makes zero sense since the mid-90s on to kick NU out (from a financial perspective.)

Why anyone would think Northwestern should ever be kicked out of the B1G is beyond me. Now Rutgers is another thing. They have added nothing to this conference and frankly should have never been considered for admission. One of Delany's biggest mistakes.

Why anyone would think Northwestern should ever be kicked out of the B1G is beyond me. Now Rutgers is another thing. They have added nothing to this conference and frankly should have never been considered for admission. One of Delany's biggest mistakes.
I bet Io_a and a few others wished many times in the past 20 years that NU had been kicked out. 😄

Perception is what is driving your option and other than that belief, there is no truth to it.

http://www.winsipedia.com/rutgers/vs/northwestern

Why anyone would think Northwestern should ever be kicked out of the B1G is beyond me.

Well, remember, this is talking about the situation in 1990, when we hadn't had a winning season in football in 19 years. There were a lot of people back then who thought that NU (a) would never be competitive in football and (b) was freeloading by taking their share of bowl and TV money while contributing nothing to the kitty. Glad those days are far behind us now.

Well, remember, this is talking about the situation in 1990, when we hadn't had a winning season in football in 19 years. There were a lot of people back then who thought that NU (a) would never be competitive in football and (b) was freeloading by taking their share of bowl and TV money while contributing nothing to the kitty. Glad those days are far behind us now.
Not including consideration of low attendance, etc, we weren't that much worse than a lot of the crap teams in the Big2 Little8 years

Post Dennis Green we were bad but not horrible

Post Dennis Green we were bad but not horrible
I don't know about that. Peay started off well but then we were a bad 0-11 in 1989, losing to MSU 76-14 and Illini 63-14 and I will never forget season opener of 1991 when we fumbled 8 times vs. Rice in a 36-7 loss. Make no mistake, Gary Barnett took over a dumpster fire.

Reactions: drewjin and DaCat
ADVERTISEMENT