ADVERTISEMENT

"Notorious Nebraska"

1830sherman

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Irish Times columnist is all over the UNL "ruthless college football institution."

If Aer Lingus and the litany of other corporate sponsors involved in this shindig wanted to give Irish sports fans a taste of the authentic college football experience, in all its exploitative, chew-these-young-men-up-and-spit-most-of-them-out glory, they have chosen wisely.

With a rabid fanbase, Nebraska is an institution with a proud history of winning (although not lately) and an equally hard-won reputation for often doing the wrong thing when it matters most.
link

(Barely a word about NU in this entire piece.)

Reactions: GECat2
Irish Times columnist is all over the UNL "ruthless college football institution."

If Aer Lingus and the litany of other corporate sponsors involved in this shindig wanted to give Irish sports fans a taste of the authentic college football experience, in all its exploitative, chew-these-young-men-up-and-spit-most-of-them-out glory, they have chosen wisely.

With a rabid fanbase, Nebraska is an institution with a proud history of winning (although not lately) and an equally hard-won reputation for often doing the wrong thing when it matters most.
link

(Barely a word about NU in this entire piece.)
Given the tone of the article, it's just as well they barely mentioned us.

I think he’s using facts to tell a story.

I cannot confirm whether he used similar facts to tell a similar story about Notre Dame when they visited.

Quite the hit piece. Not really sure what the point of it was for this game. No real nuance in any of them and is all over the place.

Lawrence Philips? That was almost 30 years ago, but I guess its fair game. Mo Washington not the greatest look. Ron Brown is somewhat controversial in some circles I guess. Making a big deal out of a Mark Whipple's quote and trying to insinuate Nebraska is racist because of a couple fans on twitter seems pretty unfair and quite a stretch. It cant be overstated how small of a deal Frost 'probation' is, its a slap on the wrist for a rule that everyone breaks. Tying it in to college football players not being paid and concussions doesn't seem relevant.

The amazing thing UNL was the cleanest program in the BIG 8

Would have been a better article if had included NU in contrast to UNL, as a school/program that mostly does it right.

Reactions: DaCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT