ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame Game

Jason (aka Soonerrhea) really should have titled his article, "My Man Crush for Notre Dame."

I think Northwestern and Wake Forest are very comparable coming into the season. Thorson coming off the ACL injury and replacing Jackson were the main reasons that I put Wake just slightly above this game.

I think Northwestern and Wake Forest are very comparable coming into the season. Thorson coming off the ACL injury and replacing Jackson were the main reasons that I put Wake just slightly above this game.
When was the last time Wake Forest defeated TSISB?

Reactions: HappyNUyear
I guess it's nice to see a fan of the so called powerhouse programs respect an otherwise lightly regarded program after one decent season, whereas NU seems perennially underestimated although we have been to a bowl (a low bar) 8 of the past ten years, winning 3 of the last 4.

Something about NU, maybe the losing back during the cassette era, that we cannot scrape from our shoe. People were quick to except Franklin and Vandy, then Duke and Cutcliffe, now WtF?

I don't enjoy being a perceived mediocre, always overachiever but never achiever, by so called elites, but I hate it when typically moribund programs are equated with us as soon as they win 6 games.

Winning a lot of games is still important, right?

Reactions: NUCats
And 3 of them are ACC opponents, which are pseudo-conference games anyway, right?

Unfortunately for Wake, their starting QB is suspended for the first 3 games for violations of unspecified team rules. I'd be willing to bet that Wake has a better record than NU this season though, as they should easily beat Tulane and Towson even without him. BC will be difficult.

I know arguing these lists is silly, but here goes...

Why is the Notre Dame-Wake Forest game ranked above the ND-NU game? Is Wake a more interesting opponent than us? I don't think so. Especially when you factor in the NU unbeaten streak against ND.

“Unbeaten streak.” Two takes over 25 years? LOL.
Trivia question. When was the last time NU beat ND at home?

When was the last time Notre Dame had the balls to actually come to Evanston?

Yeah, the LAST 3 games in Evanston were;
48-0
49-3
37-0
ND is terrified of Evanston.

You realize ND plays everybody, everywhere, right?
They play “home ganes” agsinst teams in their home states. They schedule home & homes with Bama, Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, etc...with their normal USC, Michigan, Stanford, etc. And now rotate FSU, Clemson, Miami, etc...

ND isn’t afraid to play anywhere.

When was the last time Notre Dame had the balls to actually come to Evanston?
I realize this was a somewhat rhetorical question, but the last two games in Evanston were in my undergrad years and NU lost by a combined score of 97-3. I was at those games and my memory is that the games weren't as close as the score would indicate.....

48-0
49-3
37-0

They play “home ganes” agsinst teams in their home states. They schedule home & homes with Bama, Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, etc...with their normal USC, Michigan, Stanford, etc. And now rotate FSU, Clemson, Miami, etc...

And the dates on those games are...

I realize this was a somewhat rhetorical question, but the last two games in Evanston were in my undergrad years and NU lost by a combined score of 97-3. I was at those games and my memory is that the games weren't as close as the score would indicate.....

We used to lose to Io_a too. And they would hurt our boys.

Last edited:
48-0
49-3
37-0

You failed to list Navy, Army, Air Force, Vanderbilt, Syracuse Wake Forest and that powerhouse Testicle Tech.

If ND isn’t afraid to play anywhere, why did your AD attempt at getting the ND @NU Game moved to Soldier Field or even cancelling it? Glad our AD told you guys one word.......NO
When did he try to cancel it? News to me.

If ND isn’t afraid to play anywhere, why did your AD attempt at getting the ND @NU Game moved to Soldier Field or even cancelling it? Glad our AD told you guys one word.......NO
ND will play anywhere, they opt for neutral sites for a couple of thier road games each year.

ND attempted to skate out of it about when they cancelled UM a few years back.
I follow this pretty closely. You are the only person I’ve read saying that this happened. I remember people speculating they might try, but never saw confirmation that the speculation was accurate. It’s true they were looking for games to cancel after their agreement with the ACC was completed, but I thought Northwestern was not a game they looked to cancel. But, hey, who knows, you may be correct.

48-0
49-3
37-0

Notre Dame is just afraid to join a conference.

I follow this pretty closely. You are the only person I’ve read saying that this happened. I remember people speculating they might try, but never saw confirmation that the speculation was accurate. It’s true they were looking for games to cancel after their agreement with the ACC was completed, but I thought Northwestern was not a game they looked to cancel. But, hey, who knows, you may be correct.

You're probably correct. There was so much speculation after the ACC Agreement, that NU would be canceled instead of some other teams.

Some people I know that are fans of TSISB insisted that NU would be canceled in Evanston or moved to Soldier Field in order for the game not to be canceled. Well, they were incorrect.

I believe our wonderful AD insisted the return game be played in Evanston (ONLY) and not Soldier Field when the home/home was agreed upon?

I was one of the guys who'd have bet that somehow, some way, they'd find a way to back out. Couldn't be happier to have been wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT