ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame-Wake Forest postponed

EVERYTHING IS FINE!!!!!!!!!!!
There was an update in the local paper this morning about Wake Forest. They have had 121 cases since school resumed mid-August, out of a total of around 6,000 students. Positivity has been below 1%.

Here is their dashboard.

Reactions: No Chores
The season will go on.
Maybe but for how long. You did notice the large amount of MLB games that were postponed, right? Yet because of their kind of scheduling they were able to reschedule most. yet some may never be played. St. Louis Cardinals ring a bell???

Over 48k positive cases on college campuses and yes, just 2 hospitalizations.

Man you are thick. It’s not solely about the hospitalization of college students it’s about the people they end up infecting. The only way to manage this virus prior to a vaccine is to limit its spread. The only way to do that is to limit the amount of people that are infected and to have a testing program that identifies carriers so that they can isolate. That being said, I think you would feel differently if someone you cared about was one of those college students who were hospitalized and or died.

Man you are thick. It’s not solely about the hospitalization of college students it’s about the people they end up infecting. The only way to manage this virus prior to a vaccine is to limit its spread. The only way to do that is to limit the amount of people that are infected and to have a testing program that identifies carriers so that they can isolate. That being said, I think you would feel differently if someone you cared about was one of those college students who were hospitalized and or died.

whatever there are no old people on college campuses or in the community.

Reactions: NUCat320
Don't agree Corbi and I think you're missing the point. Tejas has provided some very interesting information. Those who test positive need to self isolate and stay away from Grandma and Grandpa. It's the unbelievably low rate of hospitalizations and zero deaths which is most interesting.

There was an update in the local paper this morning about Wake Forest. They have had 121 cases since school resumed mid-August, out of a total of around 6,000 students. Positivity has been below 1%.

Here is their dashboard.

Ok?

Don't agree Corbi and I think you're missing the point. Tejas has provided some very interesting information. Those who test positive need to self isolate and stay away from Grandma and Grandpa. It's the unbelievably low rate of hospitalizations and zero deaths which is most interesting.

You are assuming they are getting tested. We don’t have a coordinated nationwide testing program and that is the biggest problem with how this crisis has been handled. Had we had a coordinated national testing program in place months ago, all of us could have resumed a semblance of a normal life. We don’t so Asymptomatic spread is rampant and the biggest reason why this virus is out control in our country. Absent a vaccine or national testing program that can help identify and isolate the carriers, the only way to beat back this virus is to deprive the virus of more hosts. The only way to do that is to promote behaviors that prevent more people from contracting it in the first place. Things like staying home, social distancing, and wearing masks. Having thousands of college kids going back to school on a college campus and expecting them to not socialize is not a strategy compatible with a goal of limiting the spread of the virus.

So send them home so they can visit Nana.

Reactions: TejasCat
You are assuming they are getting tested. We don’t have a coordinated nationwide testing program and that is the biggest problem with how this crisis has been handled. Had we had a coordinated national testing program in place months ago, all of us could have resumed a semblance of a normal life. We don’t so Asymptomatic spread is rampant and the biggest reason why this virus is out control in our country. Absent a vaccine or national testing program that can help identify and isolate the carriers, the only way to beat back this virus is to deprive the virus of more hosts. The only way to do that is to promote behaviors that prevent more people from contracting it in the first place. Things like staying home, social distancing, and wearing masks. Having thousands of college kids going back to school on a college campus and expecting them to not socialize is not a strategy compatible with a goal of limiting the spread of the virus.
Generally agree, but that's not what the study Tejas cited was talking about. Of course your arguments have nothing to do with the BIG football programs where every player is tested every day. Are you now saying we should cancel the season?

Generally agree, but that's not what the study Tejas cited was talking about. Of course your arguments have nothing to do with the BIG football programs where every player is tested every day. Are you now saying we should cancel the season?

Now we have the ability to test them everyday. We didn’t have that ability when the season was originally postponed and yet you didn’t agree with the postponement decision when it was made. There is inconsistency between your position then and your position now.

Reactions: Titanium999

Here is their dashboard.

It was postponed because of isolations on the ND team. Not Wake Forest.

“Maybe” for 2021? You’re hysterical. Even if there STILL isn’t a vaccine, we aren’t going to pause normal life for literally years, even if it’s the “right” thing to do ... completely unrealistic.
Does a normal life include playing a football game???

Thanks for making my point on why the football should be played and college players/kids are safer on campus.

And why the personal attacks? Save those for the rant board.

Posting here because the linked article is very timely and relevant to the discussion in this thread.

USF has now had to pause their workouts since they just played ND. Will be interesting to see if the game itself was a spreading event:

Reactions: Titanium999
Does a normal life include playing a football game???

Uh, yeah? If it hypothetically took us ten years to find a vaccine, would you support cancelling college sports and in-person classes for a decade? Lol. Everything in between “wait however long it takes” and “resume normal activities” is worthy of debate ... obviously, to sensible people.

Uh, yeah? If it hypothetically took us ten years to find a vaccine, would you support cancelling college sports and in-person classes for a decade? Lol. Everything in between “wait however long it takes” and “resume normal activities” is worthy of debate ... obviously, to sensible people.

No, I would support shutting down the country until we had the ability to rapidly test and isolate and trace any infections to keep it at a manageable level. Why does everyone think there's no in between than shutting down the country forever, or allowing 2 million people to die until we get herd immunity?

I know. I was contrasting the ND situation with the WFU status. it is possible to have a school open and not have catastrophic incidences of cases. Hard, but possible.
Maybe but haven't they already closed down Wisconsin and MSU? I would imagine there sadly be more to follow.

No, I would support shutting down the country until we had the ability to rapidly test and isolate and trace any infections to keep it at a manageable level. Why does everyone think there's no in between than shutting down the country forever, or allowing 2 million people to die until we get herd immunity?

It’s completely unrealistic to get 300 million+ to stay locked down for months when hospitals aren’t at capacity. Period. We can Zoom each other all day about how dumb the non-compliant people are, but it won’t change the situation. Efforts would be so much better spent on making normal life (and importantly, normal economic activity) as “safe” as possible. People will lock down for March and April to let the hospitals gear up and not get overwhelmed, but they won’t suffer the immense mental health and economic damage from lockdowns several months in. Again, we can judge them, but it’s the reality of the situation, IMO.

It’s completely unrealistic to get 300 million+ to stay locked down for months when hospitals aren’t at capacity. Period. We can Zoom each other all day about how dumb the non-compliant people are, but it won’t change the situation. Efforts would be so much better spent on making normal life (and importantly, normal economic activity) as “safe” as possible. People will lock down for March and April to let the hospitals gear up and not get overwhelmed, but they won’t suffer the immense mental health and economic damage from lockdowns several months in. Again, we can judge them, but it’s the reality of the situation, IMO.

It wouldn't take months. It would be done in 3 weeks, IF the opening up came with mass scale testing. It's what should have been done before. Instead we are going to drag this out forever.

It wouldn't take months. It would be done in 3 weeks, IF the opening up came with mass scale testing. It's what should have been done before. Instead we are going to drag this out forever.
We wouldn't even have to shut down entirely if people would just follow the basic, simple safety procedures such as wearing a mask and social distancing when out. That does mean you can't do certain things, but there are a lot of things one could still do safely. We would already have this under pretty good control if people wore masks and stayed away from groups as much as possible.

We wouldn't even have to shut down entirely if people would just follow the basic, simple safety procedures such as wearing a mask and social distancing when out. That does mean you can't do certain things, but there are a lot of things one could still do safely. We would already have this under pretty good control if people wore masks and stayed away from groups as much as possible.

I would agree, but I think some form of lockdowns in certain areas may still be necessary. New York has managed to VERY slowly get back to some semblance of normal (though I fear what's going to happen when restaurants are re-open).

My 62yo mother works in a school in North Dakota. They just hit 50 cases per 100,000 (10 per is the maximum allowed before NY requires you to quarantine upon traveling). They're doing in-person learning and she's terrified.

The number of places and schools in this country that are basically taking no measures whatsoever, it's insane.

Reactions: willycat

So basically, if two teams play, and one of them has positive tests AFTERWARDS, that not only requires them to postpone but also their previous opponent as well?

This should work out great.

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Reactions: willycat and villox
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT