ADVERTISEMENT

NU announces some future non-conference opponents

pschatz25

Nov 29, 2005
Just saw this on Twitter:

Home:
Tulane (2020)
Central Michigan (2020)
South Dakota State (2026) Are they moving to FBS?
Rice (2031)

Away:
Tulane (!) (2025)
Rice (2029)

So start scrolling ahead in your calendars to add them.

Just saw this on Twitter:

Home:
Tulane (2020)
Central Michigan (2020)
South Dakota State (2026) Are they moving to FBS?
Rice (2031)

Away:
Tulane (!) (2025)
Rice (2029)

So start scrolling ahead in your calendars to add them.

Tulane!!! Finally...

SDS not moving, but allowed to schedule FCS again starting this year.

As a Central Michigan grad, I am VERY excited to spend the 25th anniversary of ‘95 seeing my alma mater vs my FAVORITE program!! Go Cats!!

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I don't get the logic in scheduling them. One of the top FCS programs, a no win situation for NU. Not like SD is a recruiting hotbed. The Jacks have much more to gain from this game than does NU.
None of these games excite me, though I understand Tulane in a home and away series. I'd sure like to see us play more ACC and Big 12 teams. UVA competes for our recruits as much as Duke and we appear to be up against ISU with some frequency as well. Virginia Tech, Texas (Austin), Oklahoma, Clemson, and UNC would also be fun places to visit. If, rather than creating interest and excitement, we are just scheduling "to win", then the wins should be almost guaranteed, and as you note, some of these are not.
(edit) I just saw Fitz on TV singing for Harry at Wrigley. He touted the next Cats' game at the home of the Cubs in 2020, but also expressed real enthusiasm for the tough schedule this year, calling it a "great opportunity" for the team. We need to continue to play games with national interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2388bb
H-A with Rice always makes sense, so I'd expect them to keep showing up on the schedule. Houston/Texas recruiting + huge alumni presence.

Tulane sounds like an interesting trip to New Orleans.

None of these games excite me, though I understand Tulane in a home and away series. I'd sure like to see us play more ACC and Big 12 teams. UVA competes for our recruits as much as Duke and we appear to be up against ISU with some frequency as well. Virginia Tech, Texas (Austin), Oklahoma, and UNC would also be fun places to visit. If, rather than creating interest and excitement, we are just scheduling "to win", then the wins should be almost guaranteed, and as you note, some of these are not.

While I won't disagree with everything here, there's so much to gain by keeping Rice on our schedule even as a home and home. Over the years we've developed a wide, fruitful pipeline into the Houston area. Getting Rice back on the schedule is no accident; this coming from someone who bitched about home and homes vs. mid-majors.

I think NU should look at Georgia State or, probably a stretch, Kennesaw State (FCS). Don’t touch Ga Southern with a 10,000 foot pole. (Actually, Kennesaw might run option concepts, too, in which case, 10,000-foot pole rule applies.)

More to gain in Atlanta than the Dakotas. Probably more to gain in Atlanta than New Orleans.

Last edited:
While I won't disagree with everything here, there's so much to gain by keeping Rice on our schedule even as a home and home. Over the years we've developed a wide, fruitful pipeline into the Houston area. Getting Rice back on the schedule is no accident; this coming from someone who bitched about home and homes vs. mid-majors.

Agreed, Rice is a no-brainer.

I don't get the logic in scheduling them. One of the top FCS programs, a no win situation for NU. Not like SD is a recruiting hotbed. The Jacks have much more to gain from this game than does NU.

They're an Illinois State equivalent; if we get off the bus and expect to sleepwalk to a win, they'll beat us. They nearly beat TCU two years ago, and beat (an admittedly bad) Kansas team a couple of years before that.

I'm with you on. Would rather schedule a Go5 school than SDSU. At least they will challenge us a bit, rather than just be a joke like Eastern or Towson.

Tulane!!! Finally...

Thanks for the correction.

I'm not sure why we want to put SDSU on the schedule, and definitely not sure why we need to lock them up eight years in advance. Maybe we'll look for a better opponent in the meantime and there's an affordable buyout with SDSU?

Rice in 2029 and 2031?

That will definitely be a different university administration, different AD, and potentially a different coaching staff. My 1st grader will be an NU freshman for the away game at Rice and my preschooler will be an NU freshman for the home game. I'll probably be eligible for some AARP discounts by that time as well.

Tulane!!! Finally...

The MVC Football is often better than many Group of 5 member schools.

South Dakota State opens at Iowa State. They will seek to repeat what UNI or North Dakota State has done. Beat ISU!

ISU beat both OU and TCU last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT