ADVERTISEMENT

NU & black athletes

It certainly was an enlightening and insightful read. Made me really think about how the experience of Black students at NU differed from mine in the 90s.

Thought this was a fascinating read, especially given the recent news by Iowa. Good job by InsideNU and great to see how far we have come (e.g., having the #1 graduation rate for black players)

https://www.insidenu.com/2020/7/28/...tes-uniting-for-the-light-baul-social-justice
Venturi was not a racist. He was demanding of everyone. He was the boss and don't cross him. He was a coach... not very friendly....and I am talking when he worked for Agase not as a head coach...i was not there so i don't know about that. Heck his nickname was Rick the prick. When Agase was there I felt he was pro any race...maybe because of his background....but this did change under Pont. The experience of a football player in the early 70's was just all together bad regardless of race. Worst facilities ever, a student body who laughed and felt you were inferior academically and did not deserve a schollie. there were even professors who would jump on athletes for the same reason. ...and it is great to see how far we have come.

Frankly, given Strotz’ reputation among us fans here and apparent role in the Dark Ages, I am amazed he did something in response to BAUL and the issues they raised. Perhaps this is too much credit, but it seems he tried to do the right thing.

Rick was not and is not racist. Hard ass, yes. Demanding, yes. Even in the League he had a reputation of the same hard ass mentality. He is an excellent man, husband, father, citizen, and human being to this day. Problems of structure at NU during his tenure were beyond belief and were not going to be easily overcome. I am certainly glad we fixed it and now do an excellent job of competing and representing our university, but I will die a Rick Venturi friend and supporter. Go 'Cats!!! ( 65+ years of observation of Wildcat football).

Fitz has always been great about crediting "those who came before" as playing a significant part in the team's success over the past 25 years. There was talk of Northwestern getting out the Big Ten in the 80s(we even played Princeton once), but the teams kept plugging away and getting a little more competitive, and then Gary Barnett showed up.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT