ADVERTISEMENT

NU coaches to hit road recruiting this weekend

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Northwestern coaches will be on the road this weekend as the second evaluation period of 2015 runs from Friday through Sunday.

One place you can expect Chris Collins and company is at the UAA II event in Louisville. The NU targets with offers who are playing in Louisville include 2016 centers Joey Brunk (Indianapolis [Ind.] Southport/Indy Hoosiers) and Barret Benson (Willowbrook [Ill.] Hinsdale South/Illinois Wolves), as well as 2017 small forward Kodye Pugh (Blairstown [NJ] Academy/We R1). Considering NU’s need for a big man in this class, NU coaches will certainly be keeping a close watch on Benson and Brunk.

Another destination for NU coaches is the Nike EYBL event in nearby Lexington, Ky. Three-star 2016 point guard target Xavier Simpson (Lima [Ohio] Catholic/King James) will be playing there.

The Wildcats expect to have four scholarships for the 2016 class. The have already secured a verbal commitment from forward Rapolas Ivanauskas.

Last edited:
Northwestern coaches will be on the road this weekend as the second evaluation period of 2015 runs from Friday through Sunday.

One place you can expect Chris Collins and company is at the UAA II event in Louisville. The NU targets with offers who are playing in Louisville include 2016 centers Joey Brunk (Indianapolis [Ind.] Southport/Indy Hoosiers) and Barret Benson (Willowbrook [Ill.] Hinsdale South/Illinois Wolves), as well as 2017 small forward Kodye Pugh (Blairstown [NJ] Academy/We R1). Considering NU’s need for a big man in this class, NU coaches will certainly be keeping a close watch on Benson and Brunk.

Another destination for NU coaches is the Nike EYBL event in nearby Lexington, Ky. Three-star 2016 point guard target Xavier Simpson (Lima [Ohio] Catholic/King James) will be playing there.

The Wildcats expect to have four scholarships for the 2016 class. The have already secured a verbal commitment from forward Rapolas Ivanauskas.

Any indication on what we're doing with the open one we currently have?

Any indication on what we're doing with the open one we currently have?

That's a good question. I haven't heard much about that since Kipper Nichols committed to Tulane last week and Marcus Marshall chose Nevada a few days ago, taking two potential targets off the board. Carrying it over to 2016 is always an option. I'll see what I can find out.

Btpowerhouse.com is reporting that Groce (Illinois), McCraffrey (Iowa) and Collins are all watching Benson. Purdue, Nebraska and PSU have also offered. IU is also interested. This will be a battle for Benson with at least half of the Big 10 teams in hot pursuit. I love Collins going for it and fighting for recruits. This is the new NU ball culture and the type of program Collins is building of not backing down to anyone in Big 10 and selling making history as opposed to being just another guy, getting the best out of his players (see Demps and Olah and playing talented frosh from Day 1) and the best combination of athletics and academics in the Big 10 (that is my opinion).

Btpowerhouse.com is reporting that Groce (Illinois), McCraffrey (Iowa) and Collins are all watching Benson. Purdue, Nebraska and PSU have also offered. IU is also interested. This will be a battle for Benson with at least half of the Big 10 teams in hot pursuit. I love Collins going for it and fighting for recruits. This is the new NU ball culture and the type of program Collins is building of not backing down to anyone in Big 10 and selling making history as opposed to being just another guy, getting the best out of his players (see Demps and Olah and playing talented frosh from Day 1) and the best combination of athletics and academics in the Big 10 (that is my opinion).

Benson is going to be a tough get, no question. Philip Straus got a hold of Benson last night, after he got back from the weekend tournament, so look for a story on WR soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT