ADVERTISEMENT

NU has a wealth of RBs next season. How to play to our strengths?

FeralFelidae

Sep 1, 2003
In the 2003 Motor City Bowl season, I remember that NU often lined up with two running backs in formation, Jason Wright and Noah Herron, at the same time, to some level of success.

If our strength on offense is our RBs, which I think it is at this point, why not put more of them on the field? An additional benefit of having two RBs is that, on passing plays, they can provide additional blocking for pass protection. Lord knows our OC could do more to protect our QBs who keep getting injured. Or one of the RBs can slip out for a sneaky pass completion, as often happened in 2003.

Last edited:
In the 2003 Motor City Bowl season, I remember that NU often lined up with two running backs in formation, Jason Wright and Noah Herron, at the same time, to some level of success.

If our strength on offense is our RBs, which I think it is at this point, why not put more of them on the field? An additional benefit of having two RBs is that, on passing plays, they can provide additional blocking for pass protection. Lord knows our OC could to more to protect our QBs who keep getting injured. Or one of the RBs can slip out for a sneaky pass completion, as often happened in 2003.

Not a bad idea but the problem with it is that neither of our RBs seem particularly adept at blocking or catching the ball right now.

McGowan would be my choice if we have a QB that can run the read option, ala Venric Mark and Colter. I keep reading on this board that Colter was not a QB but our offense was fun to watch back then. He was capable of throwing the passes that our offense used-no NU QB has ever been able to throw the 40-50 yard 3 yard out effectively anyway. NU does not throw downfield so get a dual threat QB with a little wiggle who can throw short routes

Colter was more proficient at passing with his bum shoulder than anyone on our roster so far. He couldn’t make the “NFL throws” that Siemian could (or Hunter can make, just not in-game...yet) but he could make the offense move.

I don’t particularly remember Herron and Wright in many 2 back sets but I could be wrong.

I don’t particularly remember Herron and Wright in many 2 back sets but I could be wrong.
Take a look, for example, at 1:06, 3:25, 4:09, 4:41.

We even ran some option out of it, and ran a reverse off a "fake" option at 4:41.

The Wright-Herron combo was potent and the opponent never knew which back was getting the ball. We had a pretty good rushing attack that season.

This was also Baz's "bad" year, his sophomore slump, if you remember, but we still went bowling. Our offense adapted to its strengths.

If you have multiple good backs, well, why not at least consider using them at the same time?

Take a look, for example, at 1:06, 3:25, 4:09, 4:41.

We even ran some option out of it, and ran a reverse off a "fake" option at 4:41.

The Wright-Herron combo was potent and the opponent never knew which back was getting the ball. We had a pretty good rushing attack that season.

This was also Baz's "bad" year, his sophomore slump, if you remember, but we still went bowling. Our offense adapted to its strengths.

If you have multiple good backs, well, why not at least consider using them at the same time?
Yess!!!

That game was an outlier as we barely even attempted a pass, but I have no doubt that we did use them in two back sets in other games.

We do not, however, have two backs of that caliber on our roster.

I think Bowser certainly is, if we can get him healthy. And then I think we have several backs with the potential to be number 2. Or maybe they can fill in number 2 by committee? That might even be better, if it keeps them fresh.

Reactions: Titanium999
I’m with you on Bowser. No one else is a B1G starter. Why would we put a second RB back there who nobody’s really scared of which would require taking someone else off the field, like a bigger blocker at SB?

Reactions: Titanium999
That game was an outlier as we barely even attempted a pass, but I have no doubt that we did use them in two back sets in other games.

Think Baz had a bad shoulder coming into that Motor City Bowl game, thus the lack of attempted passes and the use of Herron and Wright. They almost pulled it off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT