ADVERTISEMENT

NU has construction camera operating for Lakefront Facility

Camera improvements.

A few weeks ago they changed something in the in the live feed. For a week or so the picture was not as good as before. It was jerky and often failed entirely.

This week I found the feed to be much improved and we can now zoom in and pan to specific areas and projects. The picture quality is actually pretty good.

Camera improvements.

A few weeks ago they changed something in the in the live feed. For a week or so the picture was not as good as before. It was jerky and often failed entirely.

This week I found the feed to be much improved and we can now zoom in and pan to specific areas and projects. The picture quality is actually pretty good.

Looks like they will have the steel erected in the next 2 weeks, a major milestone. Amazing that the steelwork gets done with pretty much 5 guys: crane operator, 2 guys bolting it in place in the sky, and 2 guys rigging it on the ground. Pretty inefficient process which is why they work 6 days a week from dawn to dusk.

Progress has been steady. from our perspective it seems like there are days that more gets accomplished but I'm pretty sure that is perception more than reality.
The last couple of days the beefiest I beams so far have been placed. I wonder if they are the final beams that will support the otter walls?

Progress has been steady. from our perspective it seems like there are days that more gets accomplished but I'm pretty sure that is perception more than reality.
The last couple of days the beefiest I beams so far have been placed. I wonder if they are the final beams that will support the otter walls?

Gotta keep those damn otters out.

Reactions: AlvinMack
Bump.

Major progress. They will finish erecting the steel for the first 2 floors of the entire building today.

Big delivery today. Crane put everything right on to the top floor or roof or what ever it is by now. Domed roof will be all closed in today unless they have a reason to leave one part open for access to the flat roof.

I suppose one of these days there will not be much for us to see because the work will all be in side.

Bye Bye, Mr. Crane. Breaking it down and trucking it off today.

Was on campus last night, glass is up on portion of Northside. This is a massive building and it has changed the character of North Campus. I am going to reserve final judgment until it's complete but my initial excitement has been tempered by the sheer size (it's a frickin' dome stadium) on the lakefront. Visually, to give you an idea, when you turn the corner on Lincoln you are looking at building the size of United Center. Remember the dome is attached to very big parking garage. I was up in the Willis tower and needless to say it's pretty easy to pick it out when you look north.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Was on campus last night, glass is up on portion of Northside. This is a massive building and it has changed the character of North Campus. I am going to reserve final judgment until it's complete but my initial excitement has been tempered by the sheer size (it's a frickin' dome stadium) on the lakefront. Visually, to give you an idea, when you turn the corner on Lincoln you are looking at building the size of United Center. Remember the dome is attached to very big parking garage. I was up in the Willis tower and needless to say it's pretty easy to pick it out when you look north.

Of course it's a dome. It's a full-sized, indoor practice facility.

Reactions: haywood jahblowme
Was on campus last night, glass is up on portion of Northside. This is a massive building and it has changed the character of North Campus. I am going to reserve final judgment until it's complete but my initial excitement has been tempered by the sheer size (it's a frickin' dome stadium) on the lakefront. Visually, to give you an idea, when you turn the corner on Lincoln you are looking at building the size of United Center. Remember the dome is attached to very big parking garage. I was up in the Willis tower and needless to say it's pretty easy to pick it out when you look north.[/QUOTE

Hey, Max - when you're passing by the Northside again, take a couple pictures for us. The Northside is like the dark side of the moon. Can't even see the Taj from the camera view anymore.

Seeing plans and drawings for a dome on the lakefront and actually seeing a dome on the lakefront - two very different things. If you have not been to campus recen

I will try. Should be in Evanston next week.

Reactions: NUCat320
Seeing plans and drawings for a dome on the lakefront and actually seeing a dome on the lakefront - two very different things. If you have not been to campus recen

I will try. Should be in Evanston next week.

Please take pictures...

From a blimp if possible.:D

I don't particularly like watching paint dry but I do enjoy watching a building go up.
Knock yourself out though.:)
I remember as a kid, all my friends would go crazy watching construction workers doing their thing. All I wanted to do was leave and go throw the ball around. I guess I'm paying for it now. I'm about as handy as a chastity belt in a brothel.

I remember as a kid, all my friends would go crazy watching construction workers doing their thing. All I wanted to do was leave and go throw the ball around. I guess I'm paying for it now. I'm about as handy as a chastity belt in a brothel.

My guess is that once they close it up the camera will come down unless they put up some interior cameras.

Pumping cement today.

There are cement trucks lined up and a pumper pumping the cement up onto the decks. I think they must have done this yesterday day as well but the cameras were down. Amazing that they can pump tons and tons of cement in to the building like that,

Pumping cement today.

There are cement trucks lined up and a pumper pumping the cement up onto the decks. I think they must have done this yesterday day as well but the cameras were down. Amazing that they can pump tons and tons of cement in to the building like that,

Fitz said today that Walter will be ready next May, and Taj Fitz this December (which is a slippage from what Phillips said in April, which was October).

Fitz said today that Walter will be ready in May, and Taj Fitz in December (which is a slippage from what Phillips said in April, which was October).
I have never heard of a building project that finished on time. I suppose you don't hear of it because no-one is disappointed and it is the expected out come but construction is notorious for delays as we have seen through out the project. Just getting permits and reaching financial goals etc, delayed groundbreaking for, how long? a year? two? Our whole "fake not the lake" joke is the result of not meeting a variety of projected starts.

I have never heard of a building project that finished on time. I suppose you don't hear of it because no-one is disappointed and it is the expected out come but construction is notorious for delays as we have seen through out the project. Just getting permits and reaching financial goals etc, delayed groundbreaking for, how long? a year? two? Our whole "fake not the lake" joke is the result of not meeting a variety of projected starts.

The big issue with a delay in opening the indoor field is that they can't start re-purposing Trienens into a basketball facility until football is done using the indoor field currently taking up space there.

This morning A cement truck arrived. The truck was red and white striped but today one of the red stripes had been replaced by a Purple Northwestern stripe and a Purple N. It looks great.

Here is an aerial view of the current state of Taj Fitz:

DGZFGeMUwAEFog3.jpg:large

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Well, they installed the coaches' hot tub ('hydrotherapy pool") today. Should help with recruiting replacements when Hank and McCall retire.

I was at the Willis Tower Skydeck doing the tourist thing with the kids and family from out of town. It was cool to see the white domed roof of the facility prominently even from some distance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT