ADVERTISEMENT

NU is no match in rematch with Ohio State

What is the situation with Hunter? Is he injured? There is speculation on the inside Nu board that he is planning to transfer and wants to minimize the number of games he plays this year to less than four

What is the situation with Hunter? Is he injured? There is speculation on the inside Nu board that he is planning to transfer and wants to minimize the number of games he plays this year to less than four
Well, he's already taken a red shirt year so playing less than 4 games this season does him no good. If he transfers he sits out a year and has 1 year of eligibility left.

I will be very disappointed if Hunter is not starting next week. He is the future of this team, not Smith. The fans need to see signs of progress in the offense vs. Iowa next week or you are going to have lots of empty seats in November and even next year. This team has been pretty unwatchable this year, which is hard to believe coming off the high of a BIG WEST division championship.

Fitz confirmed after the game that Hunter is NOT hurt.

Well, he's already taken a red shirt year so playing less than 4 games this season does him no good. If he transfers he sits out a year and has 1 year of eligibility left.

Unless he graduates and can play immediately. I doubt it, as this is only his third year in college. But regardless, how many games he plays this year has no bearing on his remaining eligibility.

I don't think he will start against Iowa either despite how poorly Aiden seemed to play. Why couldn't he just do it grad transfer if he finishes his undergrad this year. He might have a much better chance in another system to show what he's capable of.

I don't think he will start against Iowa either despite how poorly Aiden seemed to play. Why couldn't he just do it grad transfer if he finishes his undergrad this year. He might have a much better chance in another system to show what he's capable of.

He could be a grad transfer, but he would have to get his degree in three years to transfer and play next year. That’s not easy for a football player. Or anyone for that matter.

Fitz confirmed after the game that Hunter is NOT hurt.
Then why the hell is he not playing. Maybe Fitz is playing for the #1 draft pick. Oh wait...

Why is he not playing? Because the coaches obviously think Smith gives them the best chance to win. Period.

But did I miss something? What have you seen from Hunter that makes everyone think he’d be so much better than Smith? He got four games and was, to be nice, underwhelming.

Reactions: CrippleCat
Why is he not playing? Because the coaches obviously think Smith gives them the best chance to win. Period.

But did I miss something? What have you seen from Hunter that makes everyone think he’d be so much better than Smith? He got four games and was, to be nice, underwhelming.
Aiden has a great arm. Aiden took a while to learn the offense and now seems to understand it. I would guess Hunter hasn't grasped our offense yet. I trust the coaches know who can best help us win. The coaches want to win as much as anyone. Don't see very much loyalty to a staff and players who have won a record consecutive Bowls and a West Championsip. It is pretty sad Lou.

Reactions: lou v

Just maybe the coaches are wrong, you think? Well we have seen Smith the last two games and using your words, to be nice, he was horrible.

Just maybe the coaches are wrong, you think? Well we have seen Smith the last two games and using your words, to be nice, he was horrible.

Oh, I see now. You’re saying that you know more than the coaches that see every rep they take every day in practice. I get it.

Look, I agree that Smith has been bad. But what does that say about the guy that can’t beat him out for the starting job?

I understand all the frustration. But, bigger picture here, hasn’t Fitz earned any benefit of the doubt? His track record hasn’t bought any trust? He’s coming off of the best four-year run in program history and is the reigning Big Ten Coach of the Year who took NU to the title game LAST YEAR. I think we can trust him to know which QB gives them the best chance to win.

Reactions: CrippleCat
What you've accomplished in the past shouldn't necessarily dictate how you should be perceived in the future. In other businesses it's what have you done lately not what have you done in the past. The company I work for you can be the greatest employee they ever had last year but if you had a bad year this year you could be in trouble.

I cant believe a guy who no doubt never played one down of football is now a greater football mind than the coaching staff who has built this program into a B1G West Champion team. It is easy to sit back and criticize something you know nothing about. Northwestern has a very small fan base , and it is sad that out of this small base there are fans like you. These coaches and players bust their tails everyday all year with almost zero time off. They do it while representing NU with integrity. This is a program that only the narrow minded wouldn't be proud of. I have listened to fans like you every year since I have been at NU. Every year I have been at NU fans like you have wanted coaches fired , and we go to four bowl games in the four years We have won three straight. I sat in the stands at the last Bowl game and listened to fans like you trash the coaches and players after the first half. Then we come back and win against Utah. And all you complainers then jump on the winning bandwagon We won the West last year and since I have gotten here we have the most consecutive wins in program history. If you don't like these coaches and players and are going to complain every time we go thru a slump, go be an Alabama or OSU you fan. You will fit right in with them. I know Aiden and his family ; and I know how hard he has worked this past year to be ready to help his team win. Aiden has been here since 2016 and Hunter just got here. Hunter is learning the offense, Aiden knows our offense. To say Aiden played terrible shows how little you know about football. My advice is if you want to trash players and coaches don't hide behind a screen name. Let them know who you are. And you may want to do it on the pay portion so his parents don't have to read your dribble.

Reactions: NJCat
I cant believe a guy who no doubt never played one down of football is now a greater football mind than the coaching staff who has built this program into a B1G West Champion team. It is easy to sit back and criticize something you know nothing about. Northwestern has a very small fan base , and it is sad that out of this small base there are fans like you. These coaches and players bust their tails everyday all year with almost zero time off. They do it while representing NU with integrity. This is a program that only the narrow minded wouldn't be proud of. I have listened to fans like you every year since I have been at NU. Every year I have been at NU fans like you have wanted coaches fired , and we go to four bowl games in the four years We have won three straight. I sat in the stands at the last Bowl game and listened to fans like you trash the coaches and players after the first half. Then we come back and win against Utah. And all you complainers then jump on the winning bandwagon We won the West last year and since I have gotten here we have the most consecutive wins in program history. If you don't like these coaches and players and are going to complain every time we go thru a slump, go be an Alabama or OSU you fan. You will fit right in with them. I know Aiden and his family ; and I know how hard he has worked this past year to be ready to help his team win. Aiden has been here since 2016 and Hunter just got here. Hunter is learning the offense, Aiden knows our offense. To say Aiden played terrible shows how little you know about football. My advice is if you want to trash players and coaches don't hide behind a screen name. Let them know who you are. And you may want to do it on the pay portion so his parents don't have to read your dribble.
Well Mr. Bigshot, what have you contributed to the football program? I have been attending NU games since the mid 50's and my family has had season tickets since the 60's. I'm sure I know as much about football as you claim to know and yes I played in high school. Also yes some fans , like me wanted coaches fired and for good reasons. Do guys like Colby and Cushing ring a bell? if Smith is the best NU has at QB that's on the coaches recruiting poorly and/or not coaching them up. Just a remainder that NU scored 10 points against UNL and 3 yesterday with Smith under center. Thinking that Hunter couldn't possibly do any worse. Not hiding, just giving opinions like the other 50 or 60 regulars on this message board.

Well Mr. Bigshot, what have you contributed to the football program? I have been attending NU games since the mid 50's and my family has had season tickets since the 60's. I'm sure I know as much about football as you claim to know and yes I played in high school. Also yes some fans , like me wanted coaches fired and for good reasons. Do guys like Colby and Cushing ring a bell? if Smith is the best NU has at QB that's on the coaches recruiting poorly and/or not coaching them up. Just a remainder that NU scored 10 points against UNL and 3 yesterday with Smith under center. Thinking that Hunter couldn't possibly do any worse. Not hiding, just giving opinions like the other 50 or 60 regulars on this message board.
Continue to complain about everything. It is what you do best.

No I'll just complain about you and your ideas.
Go idea.. That means I am doing very well. Cushing coached O lines that allowed some running backs like JJ to have record rushing seasons. He also coached lines that won three Bowl games and the West

Last edited:
I will be very disappointed if Hunter is not starting next week. He is the future of this team, not Smith. The fans need to see signs of progress in the offense vs. Iowa next week or you are going to have lots of empty seats in November and even next year. This team has been pretty unwatchable this year, which is hard to believe coming off the high of a BIG WEST division championship.

I wouldn't be surprised if not playing Hunter was more about building/keeping Hunter's confidence rather than throwing him out to the wolves.

Reactions: drewjin
Oh, I see now. You’re saying that you know more than the coaches that see every rep they take every day in practice. I get it.

Look, I agree that Smith has been bad. But what does that say about the guy that can’t beat him out for the starting job?

I understand all the frustration. But, bigger picture here, hasn’t Fitz earned any benefit of the doubt? His track record hasn’t bought any trust? He’s coming off of the best four-year run in program history and is the reigning Big Ten Coach of the Year who took NU to the title game LAST YEAR. I think we can trust him to know which QB gives them the best chance to win.
Lou, you are being disingenuous if you are saying that we should be ok with the worst offense in FBS. Graduations/retirements? Who doesn't have that? Injuries? they explain some but not all of the troubles. Hunter Johnson notwithstanding, don't they have a responsibility to put a offense on the field that isn't in a race to the bottom with Rutgers? Or to develop a backup QB, whether Smith or Hunter, that can complete passes? 3rd year WR's that can run routes/get open/catch the ball?

Saying that to put Aidan on the field gives us the 'best chance to win', it is essentially forfeiting the dOSU game and putting pretty much every B1G game for the rest of the year at risk.

Seems deeper than this. Fitz' whistling the national anthem comment is rather cryptic. Feels like he is in the dog house.

Kyle Prater redux. No idea how to use his talent until his 3rd year.

Lou, you are being disingenuous if you are saying that we should be ok with the worst offense in FBS. Graduations/retirements? Who doesn't have that? Injuries? they explain some but not all of the troubles. Hunter Johnson notwithstanding, don't they have a responsibility to put a offense on the field that isn't in a race to the bottom with Rutgers? Or to develop a backup QB, whether Smith or Hunter, that can complete passes? 3rd year WR's that can run routes/get open/catch the ball?

Saying that to put Aidan on the field gives us the 'best chance to win', it is essentially forfeiting the dOSU game and putting pretty much every B1G game for the rest of the year at risk.

Seems deeper than this. Fitz' whistling the national anthem comment is rather cryptic. Feels like he is in the dog house.

Kyle Prater redux. No idea how to use his talent until his 3rd year.

I’m not saying that all. Your misinterpreted me. I’m not saying which QB should or shouldn’t play or that NU’s offensive performance this season is acceptable in any way. I’m saying that Fitz’s track record has earned him the right to decide which QB gives them the best chance to win. Period. Not the fans. Not you. Not me. And especially not Willy.

In my opinion, Fitz should have earned our trust by his body of work over his career — and especially the last four seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT