ADVERTISEMENT

NU LANDS QB TRANSFER RYAN HILINSKI

Reactions: ricko654321
To clarify: he is NOT a grad transfer. We had it wrong in the headline but not the story. We had that story ready to go for almost two weeks and didn't even catch that in the headline.
Does he not have to sit out?

Awesome news! Welcome Ryan! Is he able to enroll for spring quarter and practice with the team or will he have to wait until summer sessions? If he has to wait I wonder if he can do online learning for his SC coursework and reside in Evanston?

• Love
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Awesome news! Welcome Ryan! Is he able to enroll for spring quarter and practice with the team or will he have to wait until summer sessions? If he has to wait I wonder if he can do online learning for his SC coursework and reside in Evanston?

Spring, yes, winter, no.

As you know, NU is on the quarter system, and Winter quarter already started January 4. The Spring quarter begins March 29 so I would guess he'll enroll for that.

Welcome Ryan!! It's awesome that Fitz and his staff are able to land top QB's from the transfer portal. Were there any other Southern Cal QB to play for NU in the Fitz era?

Big get; obviously things didn't work out between him and the OC there (who brought his own transfer QB in) this past year, so it's understandable that he wanted out. Looked good in the games he played in 2019.
Honor roll student as well at South Carolina, so obviously seemed like he cared about academics.

3 years of eligibility is really nice too.

I remember watching the game against Bama his freshman year thinking this kid is going to be a star. Showed no fear. Amazing that he didn't play last year. Shows how screwed up college football can be.

Got screwed by an OC change and grad transfer who’d already played a ton in Bobo’s system.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Two of the most highly touted QB recruits on the same roster? Too bad the census is over. We'd have stolen a congressional seat from South Carolina with another year of snagging players from its college football programs.

I remember watching the game against Bama his freshman year thinking this kid is going to be a star. Showed no fear. Amazing that he didn't play last year. Shows how screwed up college football can be.
Yeah, throwing 57 times for 300+ yards against Alabama with 1 int. That's confidence and talent. Definitely something there.

I’m so excited. Not only is he a prodigious talent, but by all accounts he is exactly the type of good-hearted young man who we love to root for. Can’t wait to see him in purple next year.

Go Cats!

Having two 5*/highest 4* QBs from SEC/ACC on the roster, at least one of them should work out well! May need them both at some point over the next couple years.

Reactions: ricko654321
The knock on Ryan is that he's not that mobile. Are we talking like compared to Kolter or Persa? He seems to be more like a ultra-more-talented Siemian?? Either way, I think he will excel for us

Reactions: cat inkansas
The knock on Ryan is that he's not that mobile. Are we talking like compared to Kolter or Persa? He seems to be more like a ultra-more-talented Siemian?? Either way, I think he will excel for us

Supposedly pretty statuesque, like Peyton Manning and Dan Marino. One of the reasons Bobo went with Hill was supposedly because the OL was so bad at SC they needed a QB who could buy some time with his feet. Not Ryan's forte. Great and arm and accuracy though. Hopefully, Anderson's group including 3 new starters will be a further upgrade and evolution from the disaster he inherited from Cushing.

Reactions: zeek55
Supposedly pretty statuesque, like Peyton Manning and Dan Marino. One of the reasons Bobo went with Hill was supposedly because the OL was so bad at SC they needed a QB who could buy some time with his feet. Not Ryan's forte. Great and arm and accuracy though. Hopefully, Anderson's group including 3 new starters will be a further upgrade and evolution from the disaster he inherited from Cushing.
Yeah he has negative career rushing yards. Anderson and Company need to be ready
Of course, we can always run the Wildcat formation 20 times a game...

Yeah he has negative career rushing yards. Anderson and Company need to be ready
Of course, we can always run the Wildcat formation 20 times a game...

Frankly, I'd rather have a QB who can throw it around a bit, than a mobile QB who can't pass. I'm hopeful that the OL will be improved and will give him (or whoever the starter is) time to throw.

If he ends up being more talented than Trevor, we should all be very happy. From a mobility standpoint, I think Trevor was a bit more mobile.

Yeah OL and running game will have to be big next year.

Also, hopefully Robinson is back to full speed next year giving him another big target.

ADVERTISEMENT