ADVERTISEMENT

NU LANDS QB TRANSFER RYAN HILINSKI

Bacher was plenty mobile, if not a major running threat, as I recall. I'd be more than happy if Hilinski is in Bacher territory as a runner or thrower. He's probably the most under-appreciated QB of the past 25 seasons .
Bacher is appropriately remembered as a good-enough quarterback, but also the least good among any to have started for more than a year this century.

He finished with an even TD-INT, and the penchant for throwing picks seemed to hold him back.

But he held together that ‘06 season, Fitz’s first, and that ‘08 stands as a great accomplishment, Chase Daniel’s mom notwithstanding.

(That 2008 team had 3 WRs with 50+ catches: Ward, Peterman, Lane. Wowzers.)

I cannot understand anyone being lukewarm. It can only be great news. He is one of the best quarterbacks in the transfer portal. He was a four-star and we recruited him very hard about two years ago, we really wanted him then, Why wouldn’t we want him now. We might have even gotten him then if that guy Millen or whatever had not committed and eventually de committed
No argument from me. Thrilled that he is coming. Just reading a lot of comments that contain a degree of skepticism.

Bacher is appropriately remembered as a good-enough quarterback, but also the least good among any to have started for more than a year this century.

He finished with an even TD-INT, and the penchant for throwing picks seemed to hold him back.

But he held together that ‘06 season, Fitz’s first, and that ‘08 stands as a great accomplishment, Chase Daniel’s mom notwithstanding.

(That 2008 team had 3 WRs with 50+ catches: Ward, Peterman, Lane. Wowzers.)
Bacher was tough as nails and took a lot of punishment in the pocket, which I think led to a number of his interceptions. You forgot to mention his 2007 season, his best statistically, surrounded by a not so stellar supporting cast with a Colby defense. He led the B1G in passing with 304.6 yds per game, and who could forget the back-to-back games against MSU and Minny, 48-41 and 49-48 shootouts.

A lot of comments? I only saw from one deranged poster...the rest appear to be unanimus in welcoming him.
No one said unwelcome. Rather that his Freshman performance was ok but he lacks mobility, somehow got beat out by two guys etc. People were correctly saying he won't be handed the job, but then we got things like 'how do we know it won't end up like HJ's first year?'.

Anyway - my question was whether those particular people thought Mccaffrey would have been a better pick, had he been available/interested at same time. I recall a lot of hype around McCaffrey, but perhaps because it was within B1G. Seems to me like he has done less at Mich than Hilinsky did at SCar, with more years (and now less eligibility). I confess I haven't seen either of them play a single down, which is why I asked for the perspective of others

For those that are lukewarm about Hilinski, for whatever reason, would you have preferred Dylan McCaffrey and if so, why?
I feel like it's an easy choice in favor of Hilinski. He won the job his first year at SC; second year lost it because the OC brought his own guy that knew his playbook in...

Hilinski looked good in a full year while we have only a small sample for McCaffrey.

McCaffrey lost his job twice; might be a good QB but we've seen way less of him than we saw in that year Hilinski had his job. McCaffrey's time has mostly been in Michigan blowouts; can't really judge him off that.

And most importantly, Joe Milton who McCaffrey lost his job to, really struggled throughout the season as starter. So that doesn't inspire confidence that McCaffrey was much better.

The guy who SC has in Doty to replace Hilinski looks like on paper like he'd be vastly superior to what Milton showed. If you want to gauge relative competition.

Either way, I think you have to put Hilinski above given that McCaffrey's a relatively complete unknown and the circumstances there at Michigan.

Also his girlfriend was smoking hot, until they broke up and she started dating Chris Duhon of the Chicago Bulls, which led to a slump in Bacher’s play.

I could have sworn Duhon stole Tyrell Sutton’s girlfriend, not Bacher’s ...

Absolutely - trying to show the closest "type" of player he is. Big difference in talent.
I mean maybe... but I still think it's TBD. He had an okay year, pretty decent for a freshman, but 58% completion % and 5.8 ypa aren't exactly blowing the doors off. The 11 TDs to 5 Int is a decent ratio. For comparison, as a freshman Clayton Thorson had 51% completion % and 5.2 ypa, with 7 TDs / 9 Int, so Hilinski's stats are an improvement on that, but still not great. Thorson had a much better sophomore year while Hilinski didn't get to play.

I think the jury is very much still out on how Hilinski will do next year - regardless though, I'm excited to add more competition to the QB room, may the best man win - first the QB competition, and then a lot of games!

Go Cats

(PS I would also add that potentially Hilinski had a better O Coordinator at SC than Thorson did here at NU, but the SC fans might disagree with that from their comments in the thread linked earlier... regardless though there is an embedded point that stats on their own aren't necessarily apples to apples and the differential context is important)

Last edited:
For those that are lukewarm about Hilinski, for whatever reason, would you have preferred Dylan McCaffrey and if so, why?

I wasn't lukewarm. I was thrilled he became a Cat. Just don't think he's a slam dunk to start, at least this fall, even if he is arguably the favorite.

But, no, I would prefer to have Hilinski. He was the best available QB in the portal.

I for one am really looking forward to watching Ryan play QB for NU. Obviously there will be open competition for the QB position, but my money is on Hilinski. From a cursory look, he has all the tools to be a star, but seemingly developed some (correctable) bad habits as a freshman playing under pressure and injured -- footwork, etc. As zeek pointed out, mastering the playbook is key to success, and one that HJ and Marty seemed to struggle with, but hopefully no longer the case. I'm kind of modeling Hilinski after CJ Bacher, but with a better arm. CJ was not the most athletic QB but he had good pocket presence, and ran the ball effectively when he saw an open lane. Could Hilinski have busted the TD run that Peyton Ramsey made to seal the Citrus Bowl? Maybe not, but who knows?
Hunter will start and play the majority of snaps before playing and shining in NFL!

The Wrassler is a prophet
All day,and every day. Hunter just needed to work on his shorter passes,which starts with the lower body. Easypeasy fix!

I see this often in golf and tennis 🎾. Guys have beautiful and deep swings with driver ( golf) or baseline volleys ( tennis) but have trouble with the wedge game in golf,or half volleys in tennis. McEnroe and Connors had amazing half volley tennis games,as did Agassi.

You need both to be a champ! Hunter can do hoth. Here is a video 📹

ADVERTISEMENT