ADVERTISEMENT

NU LANDS QB TRANSFER RYAN HILINSKI

Yeah OL and running game will have to be big next year.

Also, hopefully Robinson is back to full speed next year giving him another big target.
Isn't Robinson more of a little target?

Frankly, I'd rather have a QB who can throw it around a bit, than a mobile QB who can't pass. I'm hopeful that the OL will be improved and will give him (or whoever the starter is) time to throw.
Agree, although it is rare that our line is that good or receivers get open that quickly
Being a statue is limiting. You might call it the Statue of Limitations

Slight correction... Robinson is definitely not a “big target.” He’s probably 5-11 on a good day.

Yep. The best "big target" would be Genson Hooper-Price, though I liked what I saw from Wayne Dennis in the Citrus Bowl, too.

I'm also curious about Hilinski's lack of mobility. I had thought he at least had some wiggle to him. It makes me wonder if Hunter could get some run next year as a change-of-pace "mobile threat" QB... he was a state track champion, after all.

Agree, although it is rare that our line is that good or receivers get open that quickly
Being a statue is limiting. You might call it the Statue of Limitations
Look, Anderson is getting his guys in place and developing them We have higher rated recuits at these positions than ever before. I would expect to see improvements so that a more pro style O is possible (though running QBs have become more prevalent recently. While I feel it is necessary for QBs to run on occasion, I want to see my QB survive and that is not best served by having them run all the time

Look, Anderson is getting his guys in place and developing them We have higher rated recuits at these positions than ever before. I would expect to see improvements so that a more pro style O is possible (though running QBs have become more prevalent recently. While I feel it is necessary for QBs to run on occasion, I want to see my QB survive and that is not best served by having them run all the time
I mostly just wanted to say Statue of Limitations

Yep. The best "big target" would be Genson Hooper-Price, though I liked what I saw from Wayne Dennis in the Citrus Bowl, too.

I'm also curious about Hilinski's lack of mobility. I had thought he at least had some wiggle to him. It makes me wonder if Hunter could get some run next year as a change-of-pace "mobile threat" QB... he was a state track champion, after all.
I think I agree with corbi that Siemian was probably a bit more mobile. Depends on how you measure; he's never going to be able to run downhill, but extending plays in the pocket is important and there was times Siemian had to do that. Not sure Ryan can do it to that extent.

We do have a potential bell cow RB in Porter, and if that's the case, it really does make it possible for Ryan to play the part of a traditional pocket passer where we asked Ramsey for quite a bit more on the ground.

I'm pretty optimistic we can make a pocket passer work given the pieces we have and how the OL has looked this year. I suppose it probably would be a bit of a shift though for Bajakian given the emphasis he played on the running game at BC and having QBs who can run.

But Hilinski is a big get either way, and Bajakian will have to make it work if he's the starter.

I think I agree with corbi that Siemian was probably a bit more mobile. Depends on how you measure; he's never going to be able to run downhill, but extending plays in the pocket is important and there was times Siemian had to do that. Not sure Ryan can do it to that extent.

We do have a potential bell cow RB in Porter, and if that's the case, it really does make it possible for Ryan to play the part of a traditional pocket passer where we asked Ramsey for quite a bit more on the ground.

I'm pretty optimistic we can make a pocket passer work given the pieces we have and how the OL has looked this year. I suppose it probably would be a bit of a shift though for Bajakian given the emphasis he played on the running game at BC and having QBs who can run.

But Hilinski is a big get either way, and Bajakian will have to make it work if he's the starter.
I think that if anything about coach Jake is obvious, it is that he molds and evolves his offenses around the talent and players that his teams possess. I anticipate if Ryan does wind up starting for us the next 3 years, we might have a talent in Ryan like Carson Palmer. I hope that Ryan is that good. The opus on coach jake and Fitz now is to design their team now around the personnel that they put on the field. I think we are going to be really good- possibly even better than our 2020 version of a football team that we had. The win-loss ratio might also depend on how well our new dc can keep our defense elite. Hope I am right.

I think that if anything about coach Jake is obvious, it is that he molds and evolves his offenses around the talent and players that his teams possess. I anticipate if Ryan does wind up starting for us the next 3 years, we might have a talent in Ryan like Carson Palmer. I hope that Ryan is that good. The opus on coach jake and Fitz now is to design their team now around the personnel that they put on the field. I think we are going to be really good- possibly even better than our 2020 version of a football team that we had. The win-loss ratio might also depend on how well our new dc can keep our defense elite. Hope I am right.

*IF* Hilinski is as good as we all think he can be, then it is certainly possible NU can afford a modest regression in defensive performance from this past year and still be just as good. For most of the season, Ramsey was an effective game-manager who could generally keep the chains moving and avoid drive-ending plays. Hilinski, by contrast, has the potential to make game-breaking plays, especially with Malik coming back, Robinson now in the fold, the continued development of the O-line, etc.

NU's offense averaged 24.7 ppg this past season, defense allowed 15.5 ppg. If those numbers go to, say, 30 and 20, that'd be great! Would certainly create a bit more room for error.

Yeah, that was one of the main things that Fitz cited about Bajakian when he was hired; he's been a part of a bunch of different offenses based on what personnel are available.

This upcoming season is probably a much bigger test than 2020 with Ramsey and one of the very best defenses in the country as a fallback.

Reactions: drewjin

Well Ryan has at least three more years to increase his mobility.

Well Ryan has at least three more years to increase his mobility.
Yeah, he doesn't have to get to the level of being able to read pash rushes instinctively like a true dual-threat QB, but if he can learn to extend plays, he can do great things for us. He already at least looked like he had the basic tools for a pocket passer in 2019.

Wondering if he’s had a previous knee injury. The photo of him in a wildcat uniform has a brace on his left knee I wonder if that’s part of his immobility

Wondering if he’s had a previous knee injury. The photo of him in a wildcat uniform has a brace on his left knee I wonder if that’s part of his immobility

Torn meniscus in 2019. Not a big deal.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Big get; obviously things didn't work out between him and the OC there (who brought his own transfer QB in) this past year, so it's understandable that he wanted out. Looked good in the games he played in 2019.
Honor roll student as well at South Carolina, so obviously seemed like he cared about academics.

3 years of eligibility is really nice too.
Hunter will surprise folks. He's got all the tools to be an All Big Ten QB and NFL Player!

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Super impressed that they knew about his maybe competition with HJ. They also said lots of nice things about NU. Makes me want to add them to the list of teams “if not playing Nu...root for them.”

Gamecock fans follow the comings and goings at Clemson as their chief rival (or at least in the sense that we are Illinois's chief rival - not sure how much of a rivalry it is, more like an annual beat down). Hunter Johnson transferring was pretty big Clemson related news, so naturally they knew of it.

Most likely that NU's QB will be running for his life the first half dozen games or so given so many newcomers on the OL. That's what history tells us anyway. My bet is that Marty or HJ will get their number called because of that. I see the Hillinski transfer as less about a saviour for next year and more about late season development next year and following years.

Most likely that NU's QB will be running for his life the first half dozen games or so given so many newcomers on the OL. That's what history tells us anyway. My bet is that Marty or HJ will get their number called because of that. I see the Hillinski transfer as less about a saviour for next year and more about late season development next year and following years.

Did you see the numbers Hilinski put up his freshman year at South Carolina?

He threw 400 passes as a frosh and did quite well. He is clearly the best QB in the room today, if only by default.

Reactions: SiameseCat
The various recruiting reports about him note Hilinski is a quick study that can learn a complex offense easily; if he picks up the playbook fast as one would expect, there's no reason he wouldn't start if he's the best option to win now and in the future.

His 2019 season shows he can clearly play at this level; he just had an obvious rift with their OC this past year due to circumstances outside of his control.

Don’t need an MD to realize football players recover pretty quickly from a torn meniscus nowadays.
I tore mine about a dozen years ago. Needed to use crutches for awhile and got some physical therapy. Things went pretty good and the surgeon agreed that there was no need to cut.

He threw 400 passes as a frosh and did quite well. He is clearly the best QB in the room today, if only by default.
The various recruiting reports about him note Hilinski is a quick study that can learn a complex offense easily; if he picks up the playbook fast as one would expect, there's no reason he wouldn't start if he's the best option to win now and in the future.

His 2019 season shows he can clearly play at this level; he just had an obvious rift with their OC this past year due to circumstances outside of his control.
I for one am really looking forward to watching Ryan play QB for NU. Obviously there will be open competition for the QB position, but my money is on Hilinski. From a cursory look, he has all the tools to be a star, but seemingly developed some (correctable) bad habits as a freshman playing under pressure and injured -- footwork, etc. As zeek pointed out, mastering the playbook is key to success, and one that HJ and Marty seemed to struggle with, but hopefully no longer the case. I'm kind of modeling Hilinski after CJ Bacher, but with a better arm. CJ was not the most athletic QB but he had good pocket presence, and ran the ball effectively when he saw an open lane. Could Hilinski have busted the TD run that Peyton Ramsey made to seal the Citrus Bowl? Maybe not, but who knows?

I for one am really looking forward to watching Ryan play QB for NU. Obviously there will be open competition for the QB position, but my money is on Hilinski. From a cursory look, he has all the tools to be a star, but seemingly developed some (correctable) bad habits as a freshman playing under pressure and injured -- footwork, etc. As zeek pointed out, mastering the playbook is key to success, and one that HJ and Marty seemed to struggle with, but hopefully no longer the case. I'm kind of modeling Hilinski after CJ Bacher, but with a better arm. CJ was not the most athletic QB but he had good pocket presence, and ran the ball effectively when he saw an open lane. Could Hilinski have busted the TD run that Peyton Ramsey made to seal the Citrus Bowl? Maybe not, but who knows?

That run by Ramsey is a good one for providing a gauge on how mobile today's quarterbacks need to be. Ramsey was faster than he looked (How about that for an analysis?), but if I was picking QB's, that would be the minimum level of athleticism I would be looking for, particularly with an inexperienced OL. Now having the presence to move around the pocket and the judgement to know when to scoot, those are different abilities.

Reactions: corbi296
That run by Ramsey is a good one for providing a gauge on how mobile today's quarterbacks need to be. Ramsey was faster than he looked (How about that for an analysis?), but if I was picking QB's, that would be the minimum level of athleticism I would be looking for, particularly with an inexperienced OL. Now having the presence to move around the pocket and the judgement to know when to scoot, those are different abilities.
Even Trevor Siemien made some plays with his feet using his "4.4 speed".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT