ADVERTISEMENT

NU Men's Duo wins BIG Tennis Doubles Championship

Fiadhaich

Mar 26, 2006
Smith/Bajali win 8-4. Smith goes on to earn a berth in tomorrow's B1G Singles Finals against Wikberg (Wisc)..

Go Cats!

This team has come a long, long way! Last time I remember them being good was back when I was in school in the early 80s.

Doc,

Our best teams were in the early to middle sixties. We had Marty Riessen and Clark Graebner, who were very highly rated nationally. They were also the U.S. number 1 Davis Cup doubles team. Riessen started on the basketball team. He won the Big Ten singles championship, I think, three times. NU won the Big Ten every year. I walked on for a couple of weeks, challenged the number 6 man, played great, lost 6-2 6-2, and departed. Coach Riessen, (Marty's father Claire), was very kind to me.
This is all from memory, and I'm elderly, so all might not be accurate. Go ,Cats!

NoChores

I knew there was a reason I thought you were cool. I walked on for NU tennis in the late 70s, but wasn't quite good enought to stay.

Re: NoChores

Fayjick,

Great to hear. We can commiserate about the end of our walk-on careers at the 'Cats Bowl Game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT