ADVERTISEMENT

NU officially announces Kurt Anderson as OL coach

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Here's the release from the Things We Already Knew Department....

EVANSTON, Ill. — Northwestern’s Dan and Susan Jones Family Head Football Coach Pat Fitzgerald has hired Kurt Anderson as the program’s new offensive line coach, the team announced Monday.

The Chicago native spent last season as a quality control analyst for the Wildcats, helping the ’Cats earn their first-ever Big Ten West Division title, a berth in the Big Ten Championship game and a victory in the 2018 San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl over No. 17 Utah.

He takes over for Adam Cushing, who spent the last 10 seasons as the Wildcats’ offensive line coach and was named head coach at Eastern Illinois on Dec. 10.

“Kurt made an immediate impact on our program behind-the-scenes this season and now has the opportunity to directly help our young men develop,” Fitzgerald said. “He is Chicago native who has a championship pedigree from his time as a player and has coached at the highest level collegiately and professionally. I’m confident that Kurt will help take our offensive line to the next level as we continue to work towards a Big Ten championship.”

It’s a privilege to join the Northwestern coaching staff and work for the best head coach in the country,” Anderson said. “Chicago is home. My father played here, and Northwestern has always held a special place in my heart. My goal is to provide our young men with as many technique tools as possible, because when you play smart and physical with technique, that is a dangerous combination that can take us over the edge in our pursuit of a Big Ten title.”

Anderson previously spent two years as the offensive line coach at Arkansas following three seasons with the Buffalo Bills as an assistant offensive line coach. While at Arkansas, he helped mentor 2017 Detroit Lions first round draft pick and All-SEC offensive lineman Frank Ragnow. The Razorbacks’ offensive line helped pave the way for running back Rawleigh Williams III to capture the SEC regular-season rushing title with 1,326 yards and provided time for quarterback Austin Allen to throw for an SEC-best 3,430 yards.

Senior left tackle Dan Skipper earned second-team All-America honors from the American Football Coaches Association and became just the sixth offensive lineman in program history to earn All-SEC status in two different seasons, while Ragnow was named the nation’s best offensive lineman, best run blocker and a first-team All-American by Pro Football Focus (PFF) and was a second-team All-SEC choice by the Associated Press.

Prior to Arkansas, Anderson spent the 2013-15 seasons with the Buffalo Bills as assistant offensive line coach. In 2015, the Bills led the NFL in rush yards per game (152.0) and yards per rush (4.8), and were fifth in the AFC in total offense (360.9). Anderson served as the team’s primary offensive line coach for the first six weeks of the season, the organization’s first under head coach Rex Ryan. Center Eric Wood and left guard Richie Incognito were both named to the Pro Bowl, anchoring the NFL’s 12th-youngest offensive line while paving the way for Pro Bowl running back LeSean McCoy. McCoy was one of three Buffalo players to rush for 500-plus yards in 2015, marking the first time that feat has been accomplished by the Bills since 1962.

Before joining the Bills, Anderson spent five seasons at Eastern Michigan University, primarily as the run game coordinator (2010-12). His time at Eastern Michigan started in 2008 as the tight ends coach before moving to the offensive line and run game coordinator where the ground attack saw immediate results. The Eagles posted the 14th-best run game in the nation in 2011, after accumulating 2,620 yards and 16 touchdowns on the ground. It marked just the second time in program history that Eastern Michigan had rushed for more than 2,000 yards in back-to-back seasons (2010-11).

Anderson joined Eastern Michigan after a two-year stint at his alma mater Michigan. While on staff with the Wolverines, Anderson spent the 2007 campaign as a graduate assistant coach for the offensive line, helping develop All-America tackle and the overall No. 1 pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, Jake Long. In 2006, Anderson was the defensive quality control assistant coach. He helped develop current NFL players Lamar Woodley and Alan Branch.

Prior to his stint at Michigan, Anderson was an assistant coach at Indiana State where he worked with the offensive tackles and tight ends.

A standout along the offensive line at the University of Michigan, Anderson graduated in 2001 with a degree in sport management and communication from the Division of Kinesiology.

Anderson was a two-year letterwinner (2000-01) as the starting center and received the Hugh R. Rader Jr. Memorial Award as the team’s top offensive lineman and was selected All-Big Ten honorable mention following the 2001 season. As a player and coach, Anderson has been involved in seven bowl games, highlighted by Michigan’s 1998 Rose Bowl win that sealed the program’s national championship.

Anderson and his wife Jennifer have five children: sons Hawken and Torin, daughter Dagny and twins Odin and Raina.

Anderson Coaching Career

2018: Northwestern, Offensive Quality Control

2016-17: Arkansas, Offensive Line Coach

2013-15: Buffalo Bills, Assistant Offensive Line Coach

2008-12: Eastern Michigan, Offensive Line/Tight Ends Coach

2006-07: Michigan, Graduate Assistant

2005: Indiana State, Offensive Tackles/Tight Ends Coach

Never realized that his father was a Wildcat. Or that Kurt was likely paving the way for the A-Train when Sean Wieber "knocked" the ball loose.

Reactions: Rebel_
Booo South. Go Spartans!

Blah, blah. Actually, in a way I attended both. I went to the present North in '61-'62 when GB was still one school and then attended South the year it opened in '62-'63 (we picked the team colors, nickname etc.). I was the school's first boys basketball student manager (couldn't play worth a lick) in the Titan Dome. Moved to Pa. after my sophomore year.

Blah, blah. Actually, in a way I attended both. I went to the present North in '61-'62 when GB was still one school and then attended South the year it opened in '62-'63 (we picked the team colors, nickname etc.). I was the school's first boys basketball student manager (couldn't play worth a lick) in the Titan Dome. Moved to Pa. after my sophomore year.
Interesting story! I graduated GBN much later than you, and swam in the mini dome. If I recall, it was built later than the main gym, but I could be wrong.

GBN looks completely different since I left. Surprisingly, school expanded, though enrollment is down from my time there. Taxpayer dollars wisely spent...

Interesting story! I graduated GBN much later than you, and swam in the mini dome. If I recall, it was built later than the main gym, but I could be wrong.

GBN looks completely different since I left. Surprisingly, school expanded, though enrollment is down from my time there. Taxpayer dollars wisely spent...

You're right. The mini-dome came later, although it was on the projected plans. What I remember is that they rushed that building in order to get it ready, and the roof leaked like a sieve in some areas after they opened it. Also, the new air-conditioning system was balky and didn't work at times, which was not fun in a school that had many windowless classrooms. I might add I was one of a minority who voted for purple and white as the school colors. As you probably know, they ended up with blue and gold.

Reactions: drosejr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT