ADVERTISEMENT

NU 'on the top' for 2020 Mich. athlete Cameron Martinez

Northwestern is riding high in the mind of three-star 2020 athlete Cameron Martinez of Muskegon (Mich.).

Northwestern 'on the top' for 2020 athlete Martinez ($)

Lou,

We seem to be on something of a roll in Michigan, coinciding with the return of Jeff Genyk to the NU staff. Would you say he is central to the increased activity up there? It would be nice to increase our footprint in the Midwest along with the good connections we've had in Texas and down south recently.

Lou, would also be interested in knowing how many WRs we are taking in this class, which is likely going to be on the small side. With 4 WRs in the class of 2019 and Yoseen already committed as a WR in 2020, I can’t imagine taking more than 2 WRs in total for 2020.

Lou,

We seem to be on something of a roll in Michigan, coinciding with the return of Jeff Genyk to the NU staff. Would you say he is central to the increased activity up there? It would be nice to increase our footprint in the Midwest along with the good connections we've had in Texas and down south recently.

He's certainly part of it. Genyk obviously has a lot of contacts up there from his time at EMU. NU has always had a presence in Michigan, but 2020 has a chance to be a big year for the Cats in the Great Lake State.

Reactions: corbi296
love the Great Lake state. And good ole Hank is from there too.

Sorry, I can't fall in line on this lovey dovey kumbaya stuff.

Michigan sucks.

It's sucks a tad less than the state of Ohio, but Michigan still sucks.

If he said Michiganders I'd understand, but the state is beautiful
Agreed
636673413618619774-FILE-Pictured-Rocks-07.jpg

5b577eb3b13fd.image.jpg

Pictured%20Rocks.jpg

p421569469-4.jpg

Falls.jpg

images

If he said Michiganders I'd understand, but the state is beautiful
Hey, this snowflake takes offense.

“I was born in Michigan
And I wish and wish again
That I was back, in the state where I was born.”

There’s an obscure song for you.

Reactions: epicbret
Sorry, I can't fall in line on this lovey dovey kumbaya stuff.

Michigan sucks.

It's sucks a tad less than the state of Ohio, but Michigan still sucks.

I have to say I admire your on-board persona. EvanstonCat sees the whole world through a single, hardened, fanatical big ten rivalry filter. It’s good stuff on these boards and I enjoy reading it in the realm of my own ardent Cats fandom. I read it like good creative fiction.

I am not sure those great Michigan pictures can convince the digital EvanstonCat, but when out of character, I have a feeling they might.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Thanks for expanding my horizons. That’s a great one!

“I was born in Michigan

“I was born in Michigan

Summertime in Harbor Springs. A special GOU family tradition for the past 40 years. Hoping for 40 more.

GOUNUII

Reactions: FloridAlum
Recently went on a trip that took us to the U.P. — Soo Locks, Mackinac Island, Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum. Hadn't been up there since a vacation trip to some friends' cabin when I was a kid. Nice country.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
We hail from an area near Hankwitz Heating and Cooling.

Last edited:
I think I have spent more nights sleeping on the ground in Michigan than in any other state.

Same here. It's a long state, most of which is beautiful.

Some great memories.

Last edited:
Hahaha I should have clarified. My paternal side is Chicago via the UP and we are majestic folk.
My grandpa and grandma are my connection to NU. My grandpa grew up in Barrington (Both are alums paternal side as well) He also spent his summers in the UP. So I have a lot of memories up there. I grew up in West Michigan but my heart definitely lies up there. I almost went to mtech.

Reactions: epicbret
We hail from a little more salt-of-the-earth area near Hankwitz Heating and Cooling.

The HS area has a little bit of everything ... from double wides and campers to the Ford yacht and that crowd. Overall, if you are in to a Rockwell like return to an earlier time it’s a great experience.

GOUNUII

The HS area has a little bit of everything ... from double wides and campers to the Ford yacht and that crowd. Overall, if you are in to a Rockwell like return to an earlier time it’s a great experience.

GOUNUII

I reread what I wrote and it sounded a little off putting - sorry about that, as I agree with everything you’ve said. There is wonderful history and beautiful architecture up there. I wish there was a bigger section of the same by us from the logging era. Most of the Victorian style of homes in our area are off the water but there are some good ones. Hope to see you up that way sometime as I’m hoping for 40 or 50 more myself.

Reactions: GOUNUII
Recently went on a trip that took us to the U.P. — Soo Locks, Mackinac Island, Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum. Hadn't been up there since a vacation trip to some friends' cabin when I was a kid. Nice country.
Did some research with that museum in grad school. Great collection and staff.

I died one sweltering hot day on Seney stretch after enjoying a quart 'lunch'.

Fox River Trail?

Seney National Wildlife Refuge, Seney, Michigan.

One crazy memorable day that ended with me scrambling for shelter (a bar) in Shingleton to avoid baseball-sized hail, then having a telephone knocked out of my hand by a lightning strike, followed by enjoying free beer sitting around a lantern at the bar with folks blown off the highway because of the storm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hungry Jack
Seney National Wildlife Refuge, Seney, Michigan.

One crazy memorable day that ended with me scrambling for shelter (a bar) in Shingleton to avoid baseball-sized hail, then having a telephone knocked out of my hand by a lightning strike, followed by enjoying free beer sitting around a lantern at the bar with folks blown off the highway because of the storm.
I’ve ridden that stretch of M-28 twice while using the Pictured Rocks shuttle out of Munising. You can pack about 50 miles of shoreline heading west from Grand Marais. Some of the pics I posted are from this trail. It’s spectacular. I did it once in the first week of October and pummeled with gale winds and graupel all day. Spent 15 hours hunkered in a tent and got delirium.

From Seney, there’s a trail that runs north through varied terrain that meets the shoreline trail at its midpoint. Have wanted to do it but not gotten to it yet. It goes through an area of “ghost forest” of dead trees in a small savanna. Then some lakes.

ADVERTISEMENT