ADVERTISEMENT

NU ranked in the Orlando Sentinal poll

By that measure we should be 8 and 4 and I'd be satisfied with that especially if we win the bowl. 9 and 4 with a bowl win and a new facility coming on line would be good recruiting material.

Illinois will be tough soon! Lovie will have a good defense

I realize this is Wrassler... but I just don't see how he can have a solid team with the personnel he has on hand. He's got a couple of potential standouts on defense (mostly on the DL, with Smoot, etc.), but there's just a dearth of talent on both sides of the ball in Champaign.

I realize this is Wrassler... but I just don't see how he can have a solid team with the personnel he has on hand. He's got a couple of potential standouts on defense (mostly on the DL, with Smoot, etc.), but there's just a dearth of talent on both sides of the ball in Champaign.

Lunt is the key. If he can find someone who can make plays they will be dangerous.

Lunt is the key. If he can find someone who can make plays they will be dangerous.

If you ask me, Lunt is wildly overrated himself. Add in the fact that he will once again be without Dudek due to a knee injury (HUGE bummer for that kid, by the way), lose most of their other skill guys from last year via graduation or otherwise (Ferguson, Allison, etc.), AND lose their top OL in Karras... I just don't see how the Illini will consistently move the ball.

Didn't seem to prevent NU from winning 10 games last season though.....but your points about the Illini are were taken.

NU's 2015 (and 2016, I think) defense could/should be much better than the 2016 Illini defense.

#24 . . . for what it's worth.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...-college-football-rankings-20160111-post.html

Illinois is ranked #106 in their preseason countdown of teams. That's a ridiculous ranking (too low) and the writer must be doing bong hits. Purdue is ranked #119.
Not sure why you are pulling out over a year old article. Don't think our record last season ended up being 5-7.
Also I think Lovie should have taken the millions he has made in the NFL and gone fishing. The end of his career won't be pretty at Illinois. He will be remembered more for his failures there than his triumphs with the Bears. Hope I am wrong because he is a great person with a high level of integrity.

Not sure why you are pulling out over a year old article. Don't think our record last season ended up being 5-7.
Also I think Lovie should have taken the millions he has made in the NFL and gone fishing. The end of his career won't be pretty at Illinois. He will be remembered more for his failures there than his triumphs with the Bears. Hope I am wrong because he is a great person with a high level of integrity.

Over a year old? It was printed January 12, 2016.

Why does the article say we were 5-7? What year was that?

It does not say that. It says that the last time we opened the season ranked, in 2013 after going to the bowl game in Jacksonville, we were five and seven that year. Read it again. The article is clearly a forecast for this year, 2016.

Why does the article say we were 5-7? What year was that?

From the article (direct copy/paste):

The Buzz: Northwestern last opened a season ranked in 2013, but injuries derailed the Wildcats and they posted a 5-7 record. Barring anything of that nature, coach Pat Fitzgerald’s team returns plenty of talent on offense, including quarterback Clayton Thorson and running back Justin Jackson, to be successful. Northwestern’s toughest opponents (Michigan State, Iowa, and Ohio State) are all on the road.​

From the article (direct copy/paste):

The Buzz: Northwestern last opened a season ranked in 2013, but injuries derailed the Wildcats and they posted a 5-7 record. Barring anything of that nature, coach Pat Fitzgerald’s team returns plenty of talent on offense, including quarterback Clayton Thorson and running back Justin Jackson, to be successful. Northwestern’s toughest opponents (Michigan State, Iowa, and Ohio State) are all on the road.​
OK Thanks guys. My mistake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT