ADVERTISEMENT

NU sells out B1G title game allotment

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Wow....

Wildcats Big Ten Championship Game Ticket Allotment Sold Out

EVANSTON, Ill. —Northwestern’s 2018 Big Ten Football Championship Game ticket allotment of more than 10,000 seats is sold out, after being made available to Wildcats students and season ticket holders. The ‘Cats will take on the East Division champion December 1 at Indianapolis’ Lucas Oil Stadium.

“From the moment Saturday’s game ended, the enthusiasm across our University community has been overwhelming,” said Combe Family Vice President for Athletics & Recreation Jim Phillips. “One of the true purposes of athletics on a college campus is the opportunity it affords students, alumni, staff and fans to come together. We’re looking forward to seeing Wildcats from all over the world on December 1 in Indianapolis.”

Northwestern fans hoping to purchase tickets are encouraged to visit Ticketmaster, where limited seats remain available.

Wednesday, it was revealed that more than 3,400 Northwestern students would be attending the game. Phillips, in conjunction with an anonymous benefactor, announced the Department of Athletics & Recreation would provide tickets and travel to Indianapolis for any undergraduate student who wanted to support the Wildcats at Lucas Oil Stadium. All told, nearly 45-percent of the Northwestern undergraduate community is set to travel 200 miles south to the Indiana state capital for the Conference title game.

Northwestern clinched the Big Ten West Division crown with a 14-10 win on Saturday at Iowa’s Kinnick Stadium. The Wildcats will meet the champion of the East Division on December 1 at the home of the NFL’s Indianapolis Colts, with the game scheduled to kick off at 7 p.m. CT on FOX. The team visits Minnesota this Saturday in the penultimate game of the regular season, with kickoff slated for 11 a.m. CT on Big Ten Network. Northwestern will close the regular season on Nov. 24 at Ryan Field when it hosts Illinois (2:30 p.m. CT) in a Land of Lincoln battle.

That is fantastic to see NU fans step up for this. I am curious though how all of the other tickets are accounted for.
Lucas Oil Stadium holds 67,000
Each team was allocated 10,000 tickets (or something of the sort)
So how are/were the other 47,000 tickets sold?

Does that include the 3,400 undergrads?

Based upon the announcement that Northwestern made on Facebook, it certainly looks to me like it is including the 3400 student seats.As far as the total amount, all they said was over 10,000, but not exactly how much over.

I imagine each Big Ten team gets a few tickets to disburse, and I bet sponsors get a bunch as well.

On TicketMaster it shows just a few seats up in the corners left for sale, but nothing available in the upper end zones. Maybe those will be available once the others sell out?

If this benefactor took 34% of the tickets we were allotted, that would be an outrage unless he has 34% of the Purple Points. And even then it’s outrageous.

Some people put in for tickets with friends who have more Purple Points and didn’t order tickets themselves. There are now potentially screwed.

This has the potential to blow up like a trick cigar. One bemefactor should not take a third of the tickets. And I doubt they were told they were cutting into the season ticket holder tickets.

If this benefactor took 34% of the tickets we were allotted, that would be an outrage unless he has 34% of the Purple Points. And even then it’s outrageous.

Some people put in for tickets with friends who have more Purple Points and didn’t order tickets themselves. There are now potentially screwed.

This has the potential to blow up like a trick cigar. One bemefactor should not take a third of the tickets. And I doubt they were told they were cutting into the season ticket holder tickets.
A robust student cheering section is vital. Taking 3400 tickets for that was a necessary sacrifice.

Why blame a donor for that?

It does seem like 10,000 tickets is an awfully small allotment in a stadium that large.
You are really going to get almost 50,000 other people there with no connection to the teams??

A robust student cheering section is vital. Taking 3400 tickets for that was a necessary sacrifice.

Why blame a donor for that?

Not blaming the donor. But if one donor gets 34% of the allotment, that’s wrong. I blame the donee.

It does seem like 10,000 tickets is an awfully small allotment in a stadium that large.
You are really going to get almost 50,000 other people there with no connection to the teams??
Just from experiences of other fanbases there's almost always around 10,000 fans of other Big Ten teams that aren't participating. Typically from sponsors or whatnot.

Those of you who do attend will see random fans of Wisconsin or Nebraska or whichever team isn't there of Ohio State or Michigan.

I'd imagine the remaining 37,000 tickets find their way into the hands of fans of either participating team to go along with the 20,000 allocated to the two teams.

Talking to some Indy area NU Alums, anyone can purchase tickets when they go on sale in September.
Similarly, here in Tampa we can buy Outback Bowl tix. I’m sure same elsewhere.

So, any of those 47,000 remaining tix could be held locally or brokers that have yet put them up for sale.
AND, there could be that many more OSU and MI fans that annually buy their tix in advance, back in September.

I'm not certain but I know bowl games often have separate allotments for student sections. I'm hoping that's the case here.

That said, I'm in the group of people who bought seats for other STHs so we could be sure to sit together, and now I'm not sure we're all going to get in when we could have if we bought separately. Hopefully it works out.

The part that bugs me is that my card has already been run, so I'm out cash for tickets I may not receive. Not in love with using NU's ticket office as a bank.

Talking to some Indy area NU Alums, anyone can purchase tickets when they go on sale in September.
Similarly, here in Tampa we can buy Outback Bowl tix. I’m sure same elsewhere.

So, any of those 47,000 remaining tix could be held locally or brokers that have yet put them up for sale.
AND, there could be that many more OSU and MI fans that annually buy their tix in advance, back in September.

There appear to be a number of tickets in the NU section through StubHub if you're willing to pony up between $325-625 p/ticket. If Michigan stamps their passbook to the B1G game, then I suspect those prices may go up.

I'm not certain but I know bowl games often have separate allotments for student sections. I'm hoping that's the case here.

That said, I'm in the group of people who bought seats for other STHs so we could be sure to sit together, and now I'm not sure we're all going to get in when we could have if we bought separately. Hopefully it works out.

The part that bugs me is that my card has already been run, so I'm out cash for tickets I may not receive. Not in love with using NU's ticket office as a bank.
That’s exactly what I’m talking about. People relied on this to sit together. If you can get 2 and I can get 2 and I have more points than you, it’s not right to make us believe I can order 4 and pull you I. with me.

There appear to be a number of tickets in the NU section through StubHub if you're willing to pony up between $325-625 p/ticket. If Michigan stamps their passbook to the B1G game, then I suspect those prices may go up.
Really? People are already reselling tickets they don’t even know they have yet? And even if they do, can be tracked back to them?

Really? People are already reselling tickets they don’t even know they have yet? And even if they do, can be tracked back to them?

Don't know, but I suspect that they're tickets that non-NU affiliated sources (e.g. sponsors, brokers, etc.) had access to.

They were always going to set aside a certain % of tickets for the students. The donor isn't getting 3400 tickets, he's just paying for them so the students don't have to.

The point is: are the 3400 part of the 10,000 or not?

Gah! What are we supposed to do? I got an email from the ticket office offering two tickets but I need more than that together for my family so I passed. I figured this would not be a super full game, with plenty of tickets, what gives? Am I going to be out of luck?

Having 3400 students attend is fantastic... regardless of whether that cuts into the allotment.

NU still botched this. I'm attending the game with a group of 15. We've been tailgating together for 5+ years now. We all have season tickets. Only 4 of us requested tickets (4, 4, 4 and 3 respectively). It would've been nice to know beforehand that 8 of us should have requested tickets. We would have all received at least 2. I doubt any of us are going to get 4. So, we're going to be short 7 tickets.

Having 3400 students attend is fantastic... regardless of whether that cuts into the allotment.

NU still botched this. I'm attending the game with a group of 15. We've been tailgating together for 5+ years now. We all have season tickets. Only 4 of us requested tickets (4, 4, 4 and 3 respectively). It would've been nice to know beforehand that 8 of us should have requested tickets. We would have all received at least 2. I doubt any of us are going to get 4. So, we're going to be short 7 tickets.

No. It’s not fantastic if it cuts into the paying fan allotment. That means one guy just bought off a third of the tickets. Somebody made that decision. It screwed everybody else. That is backroom
dealing and it is wrong.

FOR THE STUDENTS!!! HE BOUGHT THEM FOR THE STUDENTS!!!
All caps doesn’t change the fact that one guy cut a back room deal and somebody approved it at the expense of the paying fans who show up.

Unless that donor has 34% of the Purple Points, it’s wrong.

No. It’s not fantastic if it cuts into the paying fan allotment. That means one guy just bought off a third of the tickets. Somebody made that decision. It screwed everybody else. That is backroom
dealing and it is wrong.

How many Purple Points do you think Mark Walter has? I'm guessing enough to beat out you.

How many Purple Points do you think Mark Walter has? I'm guessing enough to beat out you.
So what. Is it 34%? Are there caps on the mega-donors? Do they have the right to just kick us all out whenever they feel like it? Are you OK with that?

This whole situation is beginning to fall under the 'when best intentions go sideways' and/or 'we can't have nice things' categories.

* Season's Ticket Holders weren't clear on the process and now can't get enough tickets
* Non Season's Ticket Holders can't get tickets through NU, period

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT