ADVERTISEMENT

NU sells out B1G title game allotment

. Sorry you can’t understand the basic concept that good intentions are not an excuse to short change somebody else in the process

NU choosing to sell tickets to someone other than you is not "short changing" you, unless you paid for tickets and you think NU is going to keep your money.

That doesn’t mean people get to jump the line to the tune of 1/3 of the tickets just because they want to do something nice. Sorry you can’t understand the basic concept that good intentions are not an excuse to short change somebody else in the process

Sure it does and sure they are.

But NU is selling them to a philanthropist who is giving them away so college kids can have a great memory that they may well treasure for the rest of their lives. How can anyone possibly have a problem with that?

It's not fair because they took my place in line! Now, I have to go to a different line with a slightly longer wait - can you *believe* the major inconvenience?!

Not so fast my friend...

This doesn't appear to be correct, so I'm not sure I'd take that at face value.

I did some digging on past allotments, it appears that until 2015 or 2016, the allotment was 15,000.

Then because of Wisconsin fatigue (that's what I'd call it), they cut the allotments down to 10,000.

It appears the school may be able to get an extra 500 allotted based on Penn State getting 10000 + 500, but I'm not sure if they just used that for families/band/etc.

You’re arguing against the wind.

bcf5f79bbfec28d25c129c7cb901c574

Reactions: hoosboot
All caps doesn’t change the fact that one guy cut a back room deal and somebody approved it at the expense of the paying fans who show up.

Unless that donor has 34% of the Purple Points, it’s wrong.

Um...I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the allotment for STH was always going to be NU's total allotment minus however many students applied for tickets. The students rightly take priority, so STHs are lucky that more students didn't decide to get tickets. You just don't like how the students' tickets were paid for. Would you have been happier if their parents had paid for them? Just think of it as your tickets having a different cost than theirs. :rolleyes:

I suspect that some of those tickets will become available as some students flake out and there will be abundant tickets available come game day.

You might want to go back to your old policy of waiting a day before you unload. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ricko654321
Seldom before has anyone been quite this wrong.

It's quite a special to be able to witness this. It's like when the space shuttle rolled through the streets of Los Angeles to its new home. Or when we got to see that special exhibit of panda newborns at the zoo. It's something I'll tell my grandchildren about - the day we all were lucky enough to witness pure and unadulterated stupidity. :rolleyes:

Not blaming the donor. But if one donor gets 34% of the allotment, that’s wrong. I blame the donee.
Willycat was right. Its all about the money. Unless a season ticket holder has given a ton, the university cant even deliver tickets for a championship. Why bother with getting season tickets to 5 crap games and 2 decent games?

I was in a restroom once and there was a sign on the mirror that said: "workers must wash their hands when starting a shift, before handling food, after handling food, after using the restroom, and at the end of their shift". Under which someone scrawled "just wash your @#$&+ing hands"

Therefore I say, just buy a @#$&+ing ticket

Unless a season ticket holder has given a ton, the university cant even deliver tickets for a championship.

12 of 14 teams didn't get any championship tickets at all, so clearly those schools "can't even deliver tickets for a championship" even to their donors. Nowhere does it say that being an STH gives you guaranteed access to B1GCG tickets, even if your team qualifies.

12 of 14 teams didn't get any championship tickets at all, so clearly those schools "can't even deliver tickets for a championship" even to their donors. Nowhere does it say that being an STH gives you guaranteed access to B1GCG tickets, even if your team qualifies.

I'm sure there are plenty of Alabama and Georgia STH's that got shut out of SEC Championship Game tickets.

Bobb's complaints remind me of airline forums I follow where people complain about the lack of First Class upgrades despite their loyalty to the airline. SOMEONE is getting upgraded, just not them, so therefore the airline has no respect for their loyalty!

Reactions: Fitz51
Bobb's complaints remind me of airline forums I follow where people complain about the lack of First Class upgrades despite their loyalty to the airline. SOMEONE is getting upgraded, just not them, so therefore the airline has no respect for their loyalty!

My complaint was based on the false information put forth on this thread. I had earlier said the donor deserves kudos for his action.

It was only when the (false) narrative arrived that the 3400 cut into the 10,000 that I objected. Because, if true, that would be wrong. It would have meant that one person was allowed to bypass the entire Purple Points process that had been put in place to fairly distribute tickets.

And quite frankly, the type of people who donate giant money to our program would never even consider jumping the line and high jacking 1/3 of the tickets for any purpose.

It was almost impossible to believe on its face - but was stated as true here and elsewhere. But that didn’t stop a bunch of people here from knee-jerk defending the indefensible.

There would’ve been no defense to one donor bypassing the system and snagging 1/3 of the tickets for any purpose. Even a positive one like sending the kids to Indy. Luckily, none of our donors tried such a ridiculous thing. Nor would I have ever expected them to entertain such a thing.

My complaint was based on the false information put forth on this thread. I had earlier said the donor deserves kudos for his action.

It was only when the (false) narrative arrived that the 3400 cut into the 10,000 that I objected. Because, if true, that would be wrong. It would have meant that one person was allowed to bypass the entire Purple Points process that had been put in place to fairly distribute tickets.

And quite frankly, the type of people who donate giant money to our program would never even consider jumping the line and high jacking 1/3 of the tickets for any purpose.

It was almost impossible to believe on its face - but was stated as true here and elsewhere. But that didn’t stop a bunch of people here from knee-jerk defending the indefensible.

There would’ve been no defense to one donor bypassing the system and snagging 1/3 of the tickets for any purpose. Even a positive one like sending the kids to Indy. Luckily, none of our donors tried such a ridiculous thing. Nor would I have ever expected them to entertain such a thing.

Except the problem is even if the false information were true, or turns out to be true, your position is ridiculous.

There is always stub hub and it’s not like we can’t get tix, but I did make plans with 4 other season tix holders and we based our plans, including hotels and the like, on getting 4 tickets each. I guess I should not have assumed that we’d get 4 each, but I was hoping to sit together. So it does make our group scramble a little bit, when I wasn’t really thinking that was a possibility.

Oh well. On to stub hub.

There is always stub hub and it’s not like we can’t get tix, but I did make plans with 4 other season tix holders and we based our plans, including hotels and the like, on getting 4 tickets each. I guess I should not have assumed that we’d get 4 each, but I was hoping to sit together. So it does make our group scramble a little bit, when I wasn’t really thinking that was a possibility.

Oh well. On to stub hub.

Have you heard definitively that you did not get 4?

Except the problem is even if the false information were true, or turns out to be true, your position is ridiculous.
That’s where you’re wrong as wrong can me. It is not in the least ridiculous. No single donor should be able to bypass the Purple Points like that. If Pat Ryan buys 100 season tickets a year, he should be able to put in for 400 tickets and he’d have first dibs on them obviously. Plus whatever else he wrote into his donation deal. But as to Purple Points, I’m sure he would be the first one to tell you that his Purple Points are no more purple than yours are, so he’s entitled to 400 tickets, not 3400. And he gets the best seats in the house due to #1 Points status. But he doesn’t just get to ad-hoc bypass the regular process entirely on a whim with regard to the regular allotment. He gets whatever his deal is. Nothing more. And I’m sure that if you asked him, that’s exactly what he’d tell you.

Last edited:
That’s where you’re wrong as wrong can me. It is not in the least ridiculous. No single donor should be able to bypass the Purple Points like that. If Pat Ryan buys 100 season tickets a year, he should be able to put in for 400 tickets and he’d have first dibs on them obviously. Plus whatever else he wrote into his donation deal. But as to Purple Points, I’m sure he would be the first one to tell you that his Purple Points are no more purple than yours are, so he’s entitled to 400 tickets, not 3400. And he gets the best seats in the house due to #1 Points status. But he doesn’t just get to ad-how bypass the regular process entirely on a whim with regard to the regular allotment And I’m sure that if you asked him, that’s exactly what he’d tell you.

You're either trolling or obtuse. If NU said: "All students who request a ticket can get one and will be prioritized over all donors and season ticket holders" I'm sure all of us would have said, "Good for the students!"

And that's actually what they did. The complaint you have is that they didn't have to pay for it. You're literally complaining that the students aren't paying enough.

You're either trolling or obtuse. If NU said: "All students who request a ticket can get one and will be prioritized over all donors and season ticket holders" I'm sure all of us would have said, "Good for the students!"

And that's actually what they did. The complaint you have is that they didn't have to pay for it. You're literally complaining that the students aren't paying enough.

That’s just not true and I don’t even remotely understand where you’re getting that. I love the fact that the kids are getting to go down for free. I said so clearly and plainly (and certainly not obtusely) when I first heard about it. That’s just a fact.

And by the way, it’s you doing the trolling with that airline post of yours. This thread was dead until you trolled it back to life.

My issue was, and if this was true still would be, the notion that the Purple Points system can be chucked to the curb at the whim of one donor for any reason. I found thst hard to believe last night. I’d find that hard to believe today. And tomorrow. And it turns out that was for good reason - because was every bit as implausible as I thought. A donor doesn’t just get to say “I’ll take 1/3 of the allotment regardless of the Purple Points process”.

That was always the issue. The thing about the kids getting free tickets is just a fantasy you made up.

That’s just not true and I don’t even remotely understand where you’re getting that. I love the fact that the kids are getting to go down for free. I said so clearly and plainly (and certainly not obtusely) when I first heard about it. That’s just a fact.

And by the way, it’s you doing the trolling with that airline post of yours. This thread was dead until you trolled it back to life.

My issue was, and if this was true still would be, the notion that the Purple Points system can be checked aside at the whim of one donor for any reason. I found thst hard to believe last night. I’d find that hard to believe today. And tomorrow. And it turns out that was for good reason - because was every bit as implausible as I thought. A donor doesn’t just get to say “I’ll take 1/3 of the allotment regardless of the Purple Points process”.

That was always the issue. The thing about the kids getting free tickets is just a fantasy you made up.

But the donor isn't taking the allotment. The students are taking the allotment. This is where your entire premise is BS. If the donor owned a large company and said to NU "I'd like 3400 tickets, please, for to have a year-end party for my employees" they'd likely have told him to pound sand.

There were always going to be tickets set aside for students. Your complaint is that someone other than them paid for them. Or perhaps, that the incentive was so high (i.e. free) that too many people took him up on them.

The donor isn't getting the tickets.

Reactions: BFDCat
But the donor isn't taking the allotment. The students are taking the allotment. This is where your entire premise is BS. If the donor owned a large company and said to NU "I'd like 3400 tickets, please, for to have a year-end party for my employees" they'd likely have told him to pound sand.

There were always going to be tickets set aside for students. Your complaint is that someone other than them paid for them. Or perhaps, that the incentive was so high (i.e. free) that too many people took him up on them.

The donor isn't getting the tickets.

Now who’s being obtuse? Stop telling me what my complaint was. You are splitting hairs. Donor takes the allotment and gives them to the kids. Or the kids get them directly, paid for by the donor. That’s 6 of one, half a dozen of the other and it makes zero difference to anything.

Either way, it would be the same result: 3,400 tickets come out of the Purple Points season ticket pool at the whim and fiat of one big donor. That was the issue. Not that they go to students. Not that they’re feee to students. Not any of your other fantasy arguments you keep trying to stick on me that I never made.

The issue - for the last time because your trolling is getting tiresome - would have been a donor asking for 1/3 of the entire allotment for any purpose whatsoever and NU ceding to that request if it was
outside whatever deal that donor had in place already. It’s called honoring the original deal and not making the rules up on the fly, on the come.

I’m glad that didn’t happen because that would have been wrong. That was my issue. My only issue. How that’s not crystal clear to you at this point is beyond me.

That’s where you’re wrong as wrong can me. It is not in the least ridiculous. No single donor should be able to bypass the Purple Points like that. If Pat Ryan buys 100 season tickets a year, he should be able to put in for 400 tickets and he’d have first dibs on them obviously. Plus whatever else he wrote into his donation deal. But as to Purple Points, I’m sure he would be the first one to tell you that his Purple Points are no more purple than yours are, so he’s entitled to 400 tickets, not 3400. And he gets the best seats in the house due to #1 Points status. But he doesn’t just get to ad-hoc bypass the regular process entirely on a whim with regard to the regular allotment. He gets whatever his deal is. Nothing more. And I’m sure that if you asked him, that’s exactly what he’d tell you.

You keep referring to the purple points and place in line. So, you obviously did not get tickets. I asked previously and will ask again: are you 2 season tickets that you held for 3 years?

Further, I totally agree with the concept of there being a line and it should be respected, but there are times when it is highly prudent that others are allowed to jump the line like an elderly person, a disabled person, or a parent holding a child. Attendance of college students at a college championship game certainly fits in that category of line jumping.

Your posts are perfect examples of when one tries to explain the words petulant and selfish. I will use your posts and complaints in the future to explain those words and concepts to my teenage children.

Now who’s being obtuse? Stop telling me what my complaint was. You are splitting hairs. Donor takes the allotment and gives them to the kids. Or the kids get them directly, paid for by the donor. That’s 6 of one, half a dozen of the other and it makes zero difference to anything.

Either way, it would be the same result: 3,400 tickets come out of the Purple Points season ticket pool at the whim and fiat of one big donor. That was the issue. Not that they go to students. Not that they’re feee to students. Not any of your other fantasy arguments you keep trying to stick on me that I never made.

The issue - for the last time because your trolling is getting tiresome - would have been a donor asking for 1/3 of the entire allotment for any purpose whatsoever and NU ceding to that request if it was
outside whatever deal that donor had in place already. It’s called honoring the original deal and not making the rules up on the fly, on the come.

I’m glad that didn’t happen because that would have been wrong. That was my issue. My only issue. How that’s not crystal clear to you at this point is beyond me.

You still have no idea what happened and neither do I, but in either case literally everyone on this board disagrees with you. Because your position is ridiculous.

It wasn’t the “Purple Points season ticket pool” in the apparently false situation you railed against. It was the school’s allotment, from which some number would have been set aside for students in any event.

And what is the “original deal” to which you keep referring? You think you’re entitled to postseason or bowl tickets because you are a STH?

You keep referring to the purple points and place in line. So, you obviously did not get tickets. I asked previously and will ask again: are you 2 season tickets that you held for 3 years?

Further, I totally agree with the concept of there being a line and it should be respected, but there are times when it is highly prudent that others are allowed to jump the line like an elderly person, a disabled person, or a parent holding a child. Attendance of college students at a college championship game certainly fits in that category of line jumping.

Your posts are perfect examples of when one tries to explain the words petulant and selfish. I will use your posts and complaints in the future to explain those words and concepts to my teenage children.

Enough with the made up fantasies, please.

I have held football and basketball season tickets for 20+ years and I donate on top of that. But my own Purple Points status is irrelevant to the point I am making.

I did what many others here said they did. I threw in with another STH to have that STH order 4 tickets (instead of each of us ordering 2) so we could sit together. That STH has more Purple Points than I do. I’m not worried if I have to go on StubHub or whatever and buy 2 tickets. And it probably won’t come down to that anyway. I have plenty of ways to get tickets and a few hundred dollars isn’t going to sway anything.

My point was simply a matter of not disrespecting or working around the system in place. I found it hard to believe yesterday that those 3400 were cutting into the 10000. And I’m glad they didn’t. I’m glad the donor sprung for all the kids. I’m glad they’re all going.

The system is working the way it should and nobody is bending any rules. That’s all I wanted. What I did not want to hear was that a big donor asked for and received permission to take 1/3 of the tickets outside the bounds of the deal that donor already had in place. That would have been wrong. That’s all I was getting at last night, based on the misinformation on this board from Teddy and other sources. I’m glad it was all baloney. I’d hate to think something like that could happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT