ADVERTISEMENT

NU to host UNLV in 2019

pschatz25

Nov 29, 2005
Just saw the press release on nusports that we will host UNLV on 9/14/19. Sadly, there is no return game.

The non-conference schedule for 2019 will be:
@ Stanford
UNLV
UMass

Just saw the press release on nusports that we will host UNLV on 9/14/19. Sadly, there is no return game.

@ Stanford
UNLV
UMass

The release from NU...

NORTHWESTERN FOOTBALL ADDS UNLV TO 2019 SCHEDULE

Release Link: (http://bit.ly/NU2019UNLV)

EVANSTON, Ill. — Northwestern football will host the University of Nevada, Las Vegas at Ryan Field on September 14, 2019, the two schools announced on Tuesday.

The Wildcats and and Rebels will be meeting for the third time in program history. Chicago's Big Ten Team claimed the first meeting, 41-7, at Ryan Field on Sept. 5, 1998 and opened the 2001 season with a 37-28 victory in Las Vegas behind five touchdowns (three rushing/two passing) from quarterback Zak Kustok. The Rebels, led by third-year head coach Tony Sanchez, went 4-8 last season.

The addition of the Rebels completes the Wildcats' 2019 non-conference schedule that also includes a visit to Stanford on August 31 and a contest at Ryan Field versus Massachusetts on November 16.

Dan & Susan Jones Family Head Football Coach Pat Fitzgerald and the 'Cats kick off the 2017 season on Saturday, September 2, at Ryan Field against the University of Nevada, and also will welcome Bowling Green State University to Central Street on Saturday, September 16.

The 2017 campaign marks the first time in history that Northwestern will host five Big Ten Conference tilts at Ryan Field. The 'Cats kick off the home Conference slate against reigning Big Ten champion Penn State on Saturday, October 7, and will also take on Iowa, Michigan State, Purdue and Minnesota in Evanston.

Season tickets, the only way to ensure the best seats at Ryan Field, can by purchased at NUSports.com or by calling 888-GO-PURPLE

@ Stanford
UNLV
UMass
Now that I live in Utah, UNLV would have been a game I could have driven to.

@ Stanford
UNLV
UMass

I agree that last time Nu played at UNLV was a great time. I remember the guys running the sports book at the Mirage kept wondering why they were getting so many bets on NU. If UNLV plays in the Raiders new Stadium, it will be a great experience.

I agree that last time Nu played at UNLV was a great time. I remember the guys running the sports book at the Mirage kept wondering why they were getting so many bets on NU. If UNLV plays in the Raiders new Stadium, it will be a great experience.

I remember a goal line stop to preserve the victory

I also remember the pool at The Bellagio-truly evidence of the abundant skills of plastic surgeons

I remember a goal line stop to preserve the victory

I also remember the pool at The Bellagio-truly evidence of the abundant skills of plastic surgeons

Some How I don't think it took your trained eye as doctor to decree the second part.

The UNLV weekend was the last "normal" weekend for a while - that game was just a few days before September 11.

Reactions: ricko654321
The UNLV weekend was the last "normal" weekend for a while - that game was just a few days before September 11.

As I recall, UNLV made it's home in a pretty sad stadium. Out in the no-where of the NV desert, with parking literally in a 'dirt lot'. On the upside, they did have beer sales.

Reactions: Mossreportdos
Now that I live in Utah, UNLV would have been a game I could have driven to.

It's about 440 miles.

You're lucky in that you can take the California Zephyr from NE Utah to Chicago for games. It's about a 24-hour ride. I'd love to take AMTRAK to NU games but the line from Jacksonville to New Orleans to catch the City of New Orleans was discontinued after Hurricane Katrina.

Of course, you're a lot smaller than I am so you can go by plane without much hassle. I try to avoid airline travel if I can.

It's about 440 miles.

You're lucky in that you can take the California Zephyr from NE Utah to Chicago for games. It's about a 24-hour ride. I'd love to take AMTRAK to NU games but the line from Jacksonville to New Orleans to catch the City of New Orleans was discontinued after Hurricane Katrina.

Of course, you're a lot smaller than I am so you can go by plane without much hassle. I try to avoid airline travel if I can.

The only route to Chicago is Amtrak from Florida to DC then The Cardinal or Capitol Limited to Chicago via VA, WVA(along rugged mountain/river terrain) KY, IN and Chicago(Cardinal) or the old B&O(Capitol Limited) route along the Potomac-probably 2 days but parts of the Cardinal route are fairly scenic

It would be easier to lose weight and fly-try the steak and salad diet-no carbs but as much of the steak(fish,pork,chicken) as you like. You will lose weight but probably get gout if you don't have it already

The only route to Chicago is Amtrak from Florida to DC then The Cardinal or Capitol Limited to Chicago via VA, WVA(along rugged mountain/river terrain) KY, IN and Chicago(Cardinal) or the old B&O(Capitol Limited) route along the Potomac-probably 2 days but parts of the Cardinal route are fairly scenic

It would be easier to lose weight and fly-try the steak and salad diet-no carbs but as much of the steak(fish,pork,chicken) as you like. You will lose weight but probably get gout if you don't have it already

Hey Doc, I've been on that diet since February. I have a cheat day (Basically go out to dinner and eat what ever I would normally) every week. I have lost 30 lbs. from 200 to 170. NO CARBS, TONS OF Green Veggies. Meat, Meat, Meat, eggs and cheese and gin on the rocks .
I'm running again now. Hope to lose five more lbs and then add some carbs.

I'm going to look into the train thing.

Reactions: Gladeskat

With a 36-inch inseam, flying has always been a bit uncomfortable for me unless I'm in first class or in an exit row. Floridalum can attest to that. That's basically what I eat now, except I added in significant amounts of liquid carbohydrates in the past. However, I've lost 25 pounds over the past 4 months on my secret diet plan...and I haven't been cycling lately.

Last edited:
With a 36-inch inseam, flying has always been a bit uncomfortable for me unless I'm in first class or in an exit row. Floridalum can attest to that. That's basically what I eat now, except I added in significant amounts of liquid carbohydrates in the past. However, I've lost 25 pounds over the past 4 months on my secret diet plan...and I haven't been cycling lately.
Switch to martinis there are no carbs!

As I recall, UNLV made it's home in a pretty sad stadium. Out in the no-where of the NV desert, with parking literally in a 'dirt lot'. On the upside, they did have beer sales.
They also served hard liquor in the stadium but those lots were worst then west lot, pre re-do. How about just for that game NU serves beer and booze. Judging from the Evanston PD's traffic control they won't realize it until the 4th quarter.

Always an advocate to get us to destination cities for road games...Vegas, Reno, Nashville, Bay Area, NOLA...Austin?

I'd like us to play Florida International or Florida Atlantic, not too far from Miami.

Why? After seeing so many college and pro teams wilt in the heat and humidity in September, I would be very reluctant to play either of those schools or others in Florida. NU has handled the heat in Durham well, though.

Are we ever going to get the return game from Army for the 2013 loss? Cadets a much better draw than UNLV or UMass.

Hey Doc, I've been on that diet since February. I have a cheat day (Basically go out to dinner and eat what ever I would normally) every week. I have lost 30 lbs. from 200 to 170. NO CARBS, TONS OF Green Veggies. Meat, Meat, Meat, eggs and cheese and gin on the rocks .
I'm running again now. Hope to lose five more lbs and then add some carbs.

I'm going to look into the train thing.
Deering, @Gladeskat -

I'm interested in practical advice. I like the idea of no-guilt bourbon. I think the cheat day concept probably makes it much more tenable.

Some questions:

Do you do carb-like replacements (cauliflower or rutabaga for potato, etc.), or just eat more green beans and broccoli?

What do you do about, say, salad dressing? Just pile on the mayo? :)

Do you feel a constant grease film in your mouth? How do you avoid it?

What have been the biggest challenges to going carb-free(ish)?

Deering, @Gladeskat -

I'm interested in practical advice. I like the idea of no-guilt bourbon. I think the cheat day concept probably makes it much more tenable.

Some questions:

Do you do carb-like replacements (cauliflower or rutabaga for potato, etc.), or just eat more green beans and broccoli?

What do you do about, say, salad dressing? Just pile on the mayo? :)

Do you feel a constant grease film in your mouth? How do you avoid it?

What have been the biggest challenges to going carb-free(ish)?

I definitely eat cauliflower but not green beans, just don't like them. Peas are out also lima and kidney beans but they are better than other starches.

Here is my diet:

Coffee; no cream or sugar for Bfast

Early lunch of two or sometimes three eggs with 2 sausage patties
Some times I will substitute for the sausage some other meat.

Dinner: I grill a lot. Steak, Chicken, Pork and Fish. Stir fry is a great idea, Meat loaf too.
Big salad (no iceberg) fresh spinach, spring mix, celery, scallions, a few grape sized tomatoes any raw green veggies you can think of. Oil and vinegar or Italian dressing.
A cooked vegetable. Broccoli, Asparagus, Brussels Sprouts, cauliflower. Butter and fat are your friends. It's ok to have and it makes stuff taste great. If you like spicy that is good too.
Cheese, hard boiled eggs and Pork rinds for a snack. Also jerky and beef sticks. Read the labels.

Sugar and sugar substitutes are poison followed by all processed grains (bread, pasta, corn chips). Potatoes, Corn and Rice are OUT.

Onions and tomatoes are borderline. Look things up on the internet see how may carbs they have.

The first couple of weeks, I tried to stay under twenty carbs a day. Now that I'm near my goal weight I have added a few things like strawberries and melon.

I have 2 to 3 OZ of gin in a martini every night. I have only had four beers since February and a few glasses of wine (cheat Days).

Bread is the hardest thing not to eat. Don't eat it, our flour is so processed anymore it is practically sugar.

Odd things that happened. After a few days, I was never hungry unless I cheated the day before. I could feel low energy from time to time but getting active helped it to go away. I sleep better.

Stock up your fridge with all the essentials. You shouldn't be pigging out but this diet is not about being hungry.

After the first two weeks, it is good to have an unregulated meal or day every 5-7 days. Don't go nuts but life goes on and you find yourself in a social situation where you don't have many choices. Do the best you can. Many times you can substitute cooked veggies for potato, etc. Don't worry about what the server thinks, in fact they see this all the time, ask a lot of questions. I have a nurse friend who says the diet is more effective and safer, if you switch up your metabolism once and a while with a break.

If I understand the science of this at all (not sure that I do), your body burns carbs for energy and stores them as fat. Extra carbohydrates (American eat a lot of extra) are stored as fat.
In our society we don't have feast and famine cycles like humans used to, just feast. We have a continuous supply of Carbs and our bodies store them up for the famine that never comes. The idea of the diet is to get your body to switch from fat storage to fat burning. After a couple of days you body goes into Ketosis (not to be confused with Ketoacidosis, a dangerous situation that people with diabetes can fall into). Your body will start burning fat instead of glucose for energy producing ketones. I think it is fair to say that at the extreme this can be tough on your system (kidneys and liver?) though it gives your pancreas a break (there are reasons why so many people these days develop diabetes). Drink a lot of water to help things work.

I hope all the doctors out there will ripe me anew one if I have said anything dangerously wrong. But this diet has worked for me and now that I have lost 30 lbs, I can run and be active without so much knee pain and that is helping too in a more heathy way. l will be adding starches to my diet soon but I don't think I will ever eat highly processed carbs in the same quants again.

I look forward to more fruit.

Reactions: NJCat and NUCat320
Can I ask a stupid question? What do you do if you just don't like all those foods? I feel like I can give up a lot of my crap, but I get so hungry and I don't like eggs or spinach or broccoli. I actually don't like most vegetables. Is it just - find the things you like that are good and keep eating it? I fear that's a short list for me.

Can I ask a stupid question? What do you do if you just don't like all those foods? I feel like I can give up a lot of my crap, but I get so hungry and I don't like eggs or spinach or broccoli. I actually don't like most vegetables. Is it just - find the things you like that are good and keep eating it? I fear that's a short list for me.
If you don't like eggs or veg no carb probably doesn't work. Srsly.

Though six steaks a day is appealing...

Last edited:

That explains your board name. Eggs and spinach and broccoli are great as reducing bromhidrosis. Sorry...I couldn't resist.

I definitely eat cauliflower but not green beans, just don't like them. Peas are out also lima and kidney beans but they are better than other starches.

Here is my diet:

Coffee; no cream or sugar for Bfast

Early lunch of two or sometimes three eggs with 2 sausage patties
Some times I will substitute for the sausage some other meat.

Dinner: I grill a lot. Steak, Chicken, Pork and Fish. Stir fry is a great idea, Meat loaf too.
Big salad (no iceberg) fresh spinach, spring mix, celery, scallions, a few grape sized tomatoes any raw green veggies you can think of. Oil and vinegar or Italian dressing.
A cooked vegetable. Broccoli, Asparagus, Brussels Sprouts, cauliflower. Butter and fat are your friends. It's ok to have and it makes stuff taste great. If you like spicy that is good too.
Cheese, hard boiled eggs and Pork rinds for a snack. Also jerky and beef sticks. Read the labels.

Sugar and sugar substitutes are poison followed by all processed grains (bread, pasta, corn chips). Potatoes, Corn and Rice are OUT.

Onions and tomatoes are borderline. Look things up on the internet see how may carbs they have.

The first couple of weeks, I tried to stay under twenty carbs a day. Now that I'm near my goal weight I have added a few things like strawberries and melon.

I have 2 to 3 OZ of gin in a martini every night. I have only had four beers since February and a few glasses of wine (cheat Days).

Bread is the hardest thing not to eat. Don't eat it, our flour is so processed anymore it is practically sugar.

Odd things that happened. After a few days, I was never hungry unless I cheated the day before. I could feel low energy from time to time but getting active helped it to go away. I sleep better.

Stock up your fridge with all the essentials. You shouldn't be pigging out but this diet is not about being hungry.

After the first two weeks, it is good to have an unregulated meal or day every 5-7 days. Don't go nuts but life goes on and you find yourself in a social situation where you don't have many choices. Do the best you can. Many times you can substitute cooked veggies for potato, etc. Don't worry about what the server thinks, in fact they see this all the time, ask a lot of questions. I have a nurse friend who says the diet is more effective and safer, if you switch up your metabolism once and a while with a break.

If I understand the science of this at all (not sure that I do), your body burns carbs for energy and stores them as fat. Extra carbohydrates (American eat a lot of extra) are stored as fat.
In our society we don't have feast and famine cycles like humans used to, just feast. We have a continuous supply of Carbs and our bodies store them up for the famine that never comes. The idea of the diet is to get your body to switch from fat storage to fat burning. After a couple of days you body goes into Ketosis (not to be confused with Ketoacidosis, a dangerous situation that people with diabetes can fall into). Your body will start burning fat instead of glucose for energy producing ketones. I think it is fair to say that at the extreme this can be tough on your system (kidneys and liver?) though it gives your pancreas a break (there are reasons why so many people these days develop diabetes). Drink a lot of water to help things work.

I hope all the doctors out there will ripe me anew one if I have said anything dangerously wrong. But this diet has worked for me and now that I have lost 30 lbs, I can run and be active without so much knee pain and that is helping too in a more heathy way. l will be adding starches to my diet soon but I don't think I will ever eat highly processed carbs in the same quants again.

I look forward to more fruit.
This is great. Thank you. I'm reading here and on the Atkins site, and it seems tough but manageable.

What hacks have you found for sweet, or sweetish? I see dill pickles are on the acceptable list - I can convince myself that's sweet...

https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-20/phase-1/low-carb-foods

I think you are right. I think the trick for you would be to take some time and make your "legal like list". What can you eat if starchy foods are not allowed remember butter makes a lot of things better.

When I say spinach I don't mean cooked, I mean in a salad. You could eat it cooked but few people like that. If you are from the south any cooked greens with some bacon and pepper vinegar would work. Works in the north too but it may be an acquired taste.

You mentioned that you get hungry. That is the addictive nature of carbohydrates. I found that after the first week I was only hungry after I cheated. Carbs crave more carbs. The first week I really spoiled myself with steak and brats, buttery asparagus and buttery brussel sprouts. You have to cook with some salt too, garlic is also your friend. I put Lowrey's seasoning and similar things on many things.

I forgot to say that carrots are pretty much a no no (raw not quite do bad)

This is great. Thank you. I'm reading here and on the Atkins site, and it seems tough but manageable.

What hacks have you found for sweet, or sweetish? I see dill pickles are on the acceptable list - I can convince myself that's sweet...

I have to admit, I don't have an powerful sweet tooth. Not that I don't like ice-cream, it is just i'm more tempted by savory flavors so my weakness is chips. Pork rinds help with that and for some reason I like them a lot for the first few then the lose their appeal. So where I used to be in danger of eating half a bag of chips in front of the TV at night, I just have a few pork rinds. Pepper cheese is good.

There is another diet called Bright Line Diet. It is sort of a more reasonable Atkins that comes with some pretty good inspirational messages and new ways of thinking about food and it's place in your life. My wife was doing it with moderate success but I found the mental perspective stuff really helpful. There were a few things where they talked about the addictive nature of carbs and how too many carbs lead to obesity. She asked the question, "Why don't you smoke?" because it is not healthy. Neither are too many carbs. So just as you would say, "No thanks." to a cigarette because you are a non smoker, you say no thanks to excessive carbs because that is not who you are.

That is a great link. The food list is really helpful. Some times the potion is pretty big. I don't eat two tablespoons of salad dressing unless the salad is big as my head and I only have 4 or 5 cherry tomatoes in my salad, not ten.

When it comes to green or cruciferous vegetables, try dry heat. Wet heat (steaming or boiling) creates grassy flavors, which taste more vegetal and remind us of the mush of our youths. Dry heat creates meatier flavors and leaves veggies less susceptible to baby food textures.

For broccoli, which is one of my favorites, try cutting it up into florets, tossing it with some olive oil (enough that you can see it but not so much that it's swimming), some chopped fresh garlic and some salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast at 400 for about 20-25 minutes, till the edges start to get brown and a little crispy. You may need to turn it over once during the process to avoid brown turning black. It's delicious.

The same method works with other green goodies - Brussels sprouts, asparagus (which takes more like 10-15 minutes, tops), zucchini slices are all good. Cauliflower you can roast the crap out of because it doesn't burn the same way. Sweet potatoes that have been diced up do well and taste like fries without being fried. Eggplant slices are filling and soak up the oven flavor. Bell peppers are good too if you're into them, but they're not my favorite.

Use aromatics as your friend, but always fresh. Garlic, red onion and shallot can all be cooked. Spices should be toasted and freshly ground whenever possible - get a cheap coffee grinder to do it. Fresh herbs and citrus zest (lemon, lime and orange work best) can be added at the end of cooking - try lemon zest and a squirt of the juice to finish the roasted veggies. Then use good fats to enhance - a little avocado, olive or even a couple shavings of hard cheeses, like Parmesan or Manchego, can go along way.

When you're trying to cut calories and entertain your tongue, a little extra attention to the finer details can make all the difference, and all of these spices, flavorings and methods minimize the negatives and play up the positives.

Reactions: NJCat
When it comes to green or cruciferous vegetables, try dry heat. Wet heat (steaming or boiling) creates grassy flavors, which taste more vegetal and remind us of the mush of our youths. Dry heat creates meatier flavors and leaves veggies less susceptible to baby food textures.

For broccoli, which is one of my favorites, try cutting it up into florets, tossing it with some olive oil (enough that you can see it but not so much that it's swimming), some chopped fresh garlic and some salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast at 400 for about 20-25 minutes, till the edges start to get brown and a little crispy. You may need to turn it over once during the process to avoid brown turning black. It's delicious.

The same method works with other green goodies - Brussels sprouts, asparagus (which takes more like 10-15 minutes, tops), zucchini slices are all good. Cauliflower you can roast the crap out of because it doesn't burn the same way. Sweet potatoes that have been diced up do well and taste like fries without being fried. Eggplant slices are filling and soak up the oven flavor. Bell peppers are good too if you're into them, but they're not my favorite.

Use aromatics as your friend, but always fresh. Garlic, red onion and shallot can all be cooked. Spices should be toasted and freshly ground whenever possible - get a cheap coffee grinder to do it. Fresh herbs and citrus zest (lemon, lime and orange work best) can be added at the end of cooking - try lemon zest and a squirt of the juice to finish the roasted veggies. Then use good fats to enhance - a little avocado, olive or even a couple shavings of hard cheeses, like Parmesan or Manchego, can go along way.

When you're trying to cut calories and entertain your tongue, a little extra attention to the finer details can make all the difference, and all of these spices, flavorings and methods minimize the negatives and play up the positives.

This is really good advice. I'm still learning about cooking but this makes a lot of sense, Sweet potatoes, though better than white potatoes are pretty high in carbs. Sweet potatoes are a good cheat if you simply are losing your patience with the diet. I add lots of butter and fresh ground pepper.

Buy the way most people add butter when really all they need is a little more salt

This is really good advice. I'm still learning about cooking but this makes a lot of sense, Sweet potatoes, though better than white potatoes are pretty high in carbs. Sweet potatoes are a good cheat if you simply are losing your patience with the diet. I add lots of butter and fresh ground pepper.

Buy the way most people add butter when really all they need is a little more salt

And a lot of added salt gets thrown in when you really need acid. Vinegars and citrus juices, a teaspoon at a time, add negligible calories and carbs but turn flavors up big time without added sodium. I find myself reaching for citrus in the summer and sherry vinegar in the winter. Sherry is less sugary than balsamic but has a nice complex flavor. Great on stewed greens, grilled meat and veggies, or mixed with a little Dijon (another guiltless flavor boost), chopped shallot or scallion, salt, fresh ground pepper and olive oil for a creamy salad dressing that's good for your ticket.

I've never done a "low carb" diet myself. Personally, I don't think it's necessary unless doctor's orders, and I think it's harder to stick to. If most of what you're eating starts off as something recognizable as coming out of the ground, that's a good start. Colors are also a good sign, the darker the better; greens, blacks, blues, reds and purples are all signs of antioxidants. Orange is beta carotene, which converts to vitamin A. A few other tips:

- Season with salt while cooking rather than just at the end. Your salt will dissolve onto the food during cooking and be evenly dispersed, and if you're boiling something (say, cauliflower or celery root for a mashers redo), that will ensure the seasoning gets inside the food rather than just getting sprinkled on top.

- Eat vegetable skin. That's where the fiber is. Fiber leaves you fuller longer, which helps regulate carb cravings. It also helps you take out the trash every day, for which I don't have to explain the benefits. Even the occasional potato is a healthy thing if the skin is on it. For sweet potatoes, I find the small ones in the bin, maybe a third of a pound. If you dice it up, you'll be amazed at how much food it is. They're filling and satisfying, and they're chock full of good things.

- To that same idea, if you're going to eat white, eat whole and with skin. Eggplant, cauliflower, a few fingerling potatoes, cannellini or navy beans, radishes, turnips, celery root - all good. Potato chips, white rice, pastas, white bread - not so much. If it can be brown or whole, have at it. A half cup of dried brown rice or quinoa mixed up with some sautéed garlic, mushrooms and roasted almonds is a great choice that satisfies the carb need without going overboard. Toast the grains in some olive oil or a small pat of butter. Then cook it in low sodium stock rather than water. Toss in some small dried fruit if you need some sweetness - golden raisins are good without too much sugar.

- Eat seasonal. There's so much good stuff at the store right now. Pick something you've never tried before and try it. The internet is your friend for easy recipes.

- And I can't urge the dry heat cooking method enough if you're not a big veggie eater. I ABHOR steamed broccoli. I can eat two crowns of my roasted kind in a sitting. Give it a shot.

Anyway, plenty more ideas if you want or need them, but that's enough for now.

Wow, thanks for all the good comments. You guys have made vegetables sound really good. :) I'll have to try some of these.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT