ADVERTISEMENT

Nunn to Pitt.

THAT'S FRICKING HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!

I guess he wants that small town atmosphere that only the junkies and drug dealers provide down on Forbes Avenue. This is EXHIBIT #1 for why people should NEVER EVER the F take anything a recruit says seriously!!! EVER!!!!!!!

Good luck graduating from historically one of the worst inner city sewer programs in D1 football! You're gonna need it!

Maybe the guy just likes drug dealers and greasy fries at 'The O' and won't admit it, I don't know? I'll just laugh myself to sleep over this tonight.

[I should mention that I went to Pitt for my PhD, and I know a thing or two about the reality of the University of Pittsburgh]

I guess he wants that small town atmosphere that only the junkies and drug dealers provide down on Forbes Avenue. This is EXHIBIT #1 for why people should NEVER EVER the F take anything a recruit says seriously!!! EVER!!!!!!!

Good luck graduating from historically one of the worst inner city sewer programs in D1 football! You're gonna need it!

Maybe the guy just likes drug dealers and greasy fries at 'The O' and won't admit it, I don't know? I'll just laugh myself to sleep over this tonight.

[I should mention that I went to Pitt for my PhD, and I know a thing or two about the reality of the University of Pittsburgh]
I guess you weren't smart enough for Pitt Med. Just count your pills and shut up. Loser!

Last edited:
I guess you weren't smart enough for Pitt Med. Just count your pills and shout up. Loser!
I guess drspeca doesn't know the difference between an MD and a PhD. Neither are losers but both have the smarts to achieve at the highest level. Need for some more education, I guess, to tell the difference.

Reactions: chicagocatfan24
I guess drspeca doesn't know the difference between an MD and a PhD. Neither are losers but both have the smarts to achieve at the highest level. Need for some more education, I guess, to tell the difference.
I'm well aware lol. I thought it was PharmD damn reading comprehension. Anyways, the posters comments are stupid about Oakland. I've been a huge fan of Northwestern since 95. I played prep school with Josh Barnes. He was on the Rose Bowl team. Northwestern is a great school with a killer campus, Nunn just liked Pitt more. I think it's more about proximity.

Last edited:
Not much difference between home town and Pittsburgh(293 mi) and Evanston (241 miles), so he must have liked Pittsburgh more. No matter what anyone says, his decision was not made without input from parents, so good luck to him and their choice. Lifetime decisions made at this level are difficult at best but NU's recruits are usually well grounded and intelligent. I respect his decision and wish him well.

Not much difference between home town and Pittsburgh(293 mi) and Evanston (241 miles), so he must have liked Pittsburgh more. No matter what anyone says, his decision was not made without input from parents, so good luck to him and their choice. Lifetime decisions made at this level are difficult at best but NU's recruits are usually well grounded and intelligent. I respect his decision and wish him well.
I agree with you. Good luck this season and kick PSU's ass.

Love ya Glades! Also I;m a fan of your Homeric nature of education and schools! NU,ND,Pitt etc! Outstanding!

I'm well aware lol. I thought it was PharmD damn reading comprehension. Anyways, the posters comments are stupid about Oakland. I've been a huge fan of Northwestern since 95. I played prep school with Josh Barnes. He was on the Rose Bowl team. Northwestern is a great school with a killer campus, Nunn just liked Pitt more. I think it's more about proximity.

Let's see...You can't read, your grammar sucks, you can't spell, but you have to tell the world you're a doctor in your handle. Real bright, Dr. L. Douchebag!

I stand by everything I wrote about the Pitt football program and Oakland. Hopefully, the situation has changed since the Rogers and Hackett era when Pitt had one of the worst graduation rates in the country. It couldn't get much worse.

Of course, he liked Pitt more, but the reasons he gave for disliking NU were bullshit. Sheesh, Pitt's stated reason for tearing down their football stadium was to have some green grass on campus (aside from the COL and Heinz Chapel)! Nothing says small town university like this...

pittsburghskyline.com_fall07_12.jpg

Let's see...You can't read, your grammar sucks, you can't spell, but you have to tell the world you're a doctor in your handle. Real bright, Dr. L. Douchebag!

I stand by everything I wrote about the Pitt football program and Oakland. Hopefully, the situation has changed since the Rogers and Hackett era when Pitt had one of the worst graduation rates in the country. It couldn't get much worse.

Of course, he liked Pitt more, but the reasons he gave for disliking NU were bullshit. Sheesh, Pitt's stated reason for tearing down their football stadium was to have some green grass on campus (aside from the COL and Heinz Chapel)! Nothing says small town university like this...

pittsburghskyline.com_fall07_12.jpg
Ah yes, the iconic Cathedral of Learning, popularly known as the Height of Ignorance.

I went to nearby CMU for grad school and have fond memories of Pittsburgh. My daughter was born there.

No, it isn't Chicago, but neither is Evanston...

The mind boggles. I think he must have got laid on his trip or something. There is no reason we should EVER lose a kid to Pitt, although, we did lose a kid to UCONN last year. There's one every year I guess. At least it wasn't Illinois. Then we'd really have to do some real serious soul-searching and determine what the hell went wrong.

The mind boggles. I think he must have got laid on his trip or something. There is no reason we should EVER lose a kid to Pitt, although, we did lose a kid to UCONN last year. There's one every year I guess. At least it wasn't Illinois. Then we'd really have to do some real serious soul-searching and determine what the hell went wrong.

What is even more mind-boggling is that the kid visits Indiana, says he loves the small town feeling, sounds like it is between Indiana and Northwestern, with Indiana slightly in the lead, then shortly thereafter visits Pitt and immediately commits

Reactions: Gladeskat
What is even more mind-boggling is that the kid visits Indiana, says he loves the small town feeling, sounds like it is between Indiana and Northwestern, with Indiana slightly in the lead, then shortly thereafter visits Pitt and immediately commits

Kid got laid. No other explanation.

I think the Pitt campus is very nice and some of their older buildings like the libes are wow.

To me, from these photo's, it looks like one of the prettier campuses of the USA/Northeast.

But maybe the shots are photoshopped or something?

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.co...an-intro-to-pitts-facilities-and-campus.1040/

LOL!

It's clear to me you don't know what the heck you're talking about. The Libes? Pitt's library is a modern building located where Forbes Field used to be. The only green spaces are the Cathedral of Learning (COL) lawn (where they took multiple pictures to maximize the impression of greenness), and an acre or two where they tore down the football stadium. Most of the green space pictured are those two spaces as well as others that are NOT a part of Pitt's campus. The UPMC athletic complex is on the opposite side of the badly polluted Monongahela River on land that used to be a steel mill. You take lovely Hot Metal Bridge to get there (lol). It is NOT on campus and you can't walk to it like one could walk to Ryan Field from campus. Pitt is OK for an URBAN university in terms of aesthetics. The COL is spectacular, if not pretentious, and I liked the proximity to the Carnegie Museum, CMU, and restaurants in Oakland. I would recommend Pitt if someone wants to go to an URBAN university. I loved the City of Pittsburgh as well (more so than Chicago) for its people, diverse neighborhoods, and parks. It would be a state park if there wasn't a former steel city there.

Neighboring Carnegie Mellon University is much nicer as an urban university and it borders a fine park (Shenley Park) and Phipps Conservatory.

The point is Nunn said he had an issue with NU because it was an urban university. Pitt is WAY MORE urban than NU's Evanston campus, complete with multiple 17-story dormitories and buildings up to 42 stories tall (COL). It has become so urbanized that Pitt chose to share their athletic stadium and facilities with the Steelers (4 miles and 1 mile away, which you can't walk to) rather than rebuild Pitt stadium on campus. That way they could create a few acres of green space on top of Cardiac Hill. RIGHT NEXT to Pitt's campus is the Hill District, which is one of the nastiest neighborhoods in the City. Remember the TV show, "Hill Street Blues"...the show got its name from Pgh's Hill District. At night, junkies and drug dealers converge on Forbes Avenue to do their thing. It is not a pleasant, bucolic scene. One has to always make sure offices are locked and buildings are secure to prevent junkies from looting the shit out of offices and labs. Junkies are fond of $15K microscopes, laptops, and anything else they can steal. Heck, we had a problem with a janitor who was stealing money from the Biology Dept. Pitt is A LOT further from Findley, OH, than NU's campus is in terms of aesthetics and feel.

Last edited:
He's an 18 year old kid who grew up in small rust-belt town and is just getting out. That explains the decision as well as anything.

He has time for his thinking to evolve and reconsider. We are all extremely biased here, but NU is a great school for transitioning into a bigger, broader world.

Exactly!

In terms of aesthetics and small town feel: Indiana >> NU >>>>> Pitt.

He liked Pitt. That's fine. Pitt is a good school and in a nice location if you like the arts, museums, etc. But it lacks in readily accessible green spaces and small-town feel. The Pitt coaches probably drove him around Shenley Park all day, telling him it was Pitt's campus. One cannot even fricking walk to practice!

I also question the dedication of their athletic program towards graduating their players. They used to have some of the worst graduation rates (<30%) in the country. I never saw a football player pass Intro to Biology while I taught labs there. The program was a scholastic sewer when I was there, based upon accounts from players who actually took college seriously. It HAD to improve.

Exactly!

He liked Pitt. That's fine. Pitt is a good school and in a nice location if you like the arts, museums, etc. But it lacks in readily accessible green spaces and small-town feel. The Pitt coaches probably drove him around Shenley Park all day, telling him it was Pitt's campus. One cannot even fricking walk to practice!
How dumb is recruiting, and, specifically, reporting on recruiting? (No offense, Lou and your recruiting-reporting colleagues.) At least one interview has had to end with a recruit saying "just write whatever you want, just don't make me look dumb, k?"

He talked small town because Bloomington is small town. And kids talk academics because Northwestern is academics. And he'd pump up urban or medical or Tony Dorsett and Larry Fitzgerald work out here if that's what Pitt was selling.

"Whad'joo like about IU?"
"Oh, uh, it's a nice downtown, small town but a lot going on." (All true, and the framing of the question leads to the answer - he's gotta answer something he likes.)

(Note: I never read recruiting articles. But that doesn't mean I can't debate them!)

Reactions: Gladeskat
How dumb is recruiting, and, specifically, reporting on recruiting? (No offense, Lou and your recruiting-reporting colleagues.) At least one interview has had to end with a recruit saying "just write whatever you want, just don't make me look dumb, k?"

He talked small town because Bloomington is small town. And kids talk academics because Northwestern is academics. And he'd pump up urban or medical or Tony Dorsett and Larry Fitzgerald work out here if that's what Pitt was selling.

"Oh, uh, it's a nice downtown, small town but a lot going on." (All true, and the framing of the question leads to the answer - he's gotta answer something he likes.)

(Note: I never read recruiting articles. But that doesn't mean I can't debate them!)

I agree. Kids are asked all the time by 'recruiting media' about their experiences and have to come up with something nice to say. I don't know what I'd say if recruiting rags asked me about NU. "The frat parties were fun? The academics are nice." In fact, I didn't care about academics at all...that's how out to lunch I was as a senior in high school.

I'm glad I didn't have to go through today's media circus when I was recruited. I can just imagine the bitching from the usual suspects over my signing...

"Needs serious work." "He's slow, but he sure is dorky." "MAC material!"

Reactions: NUCat320

I do read them ( I don't golf any more, so I need something to do), but I certainly don't get all excited because some recruit says nice things about NU. Most of these kids are smart enough to say nice things about the coaches and school when they are being offered and courted by someone. If the recruits says the same thing to all the Lou's of Rivals it's easy to see that it is caca. If they visit and say things that show they have clear differentiating characteristic about NU they usually are genuinely interested. That characteristic isn't strong academics when Arkansas or Ole Miss are in their final group.

Exactly!

I also question the dedication of their athletic program towards graduating their players. They used to have some of the worst graduation rates (<30%) in the country. I never saw a football player pass Intro to Biology while I taught labs there. The program was a scholastic sewer when I was there, based upon accounts from players who actually took college seriously. It HAD to improve.
C'mon Glades. You haven't toured the Pitt campus in a long time. You went to graduate school there about 35 years ago. I graduated from law school at Pitt in 1968,and have been back many times. It's a very pretty and interesting place, and I think your assessment is unfair. Many football players at Pitt were given preferential treatment at the dental school, a number of whom, including an All American, are highly successful great guys.
To call your vicious attacks unfair understates the case. I enjoyed Oakland, and was involved in very few drug deals. Ease up. You were not very enamored with the academic program at NU either as I recall.
Your Friend, No Chores

C'mon Glades. You haven't toured the Pitt campus in a long time. You went to graduate school there about 35 years ago. I graduated from law school at Pitt in 1968,and have been back many times. It's a very pretty and interesting place, and I think your assessment is unfair. Many football players at Pitt were given preferential treatment at the dental school, a number of whom, including an All American, are highly successful great guys.
To call your vicious attacks unfair understates the case. I enjoyed Oakland, and was involved in very few drug deals. Ease up. You were not very enamored with the academic program at NU either as I recall.
Your Friend, No Chores

You're missing my point, No Chores! The issue isn't whether Pitt is a good school, or is attractive if you like URBAN universities. It is. It just is NOT a school with a small, college town feel, which is what Nunn indicated that he wanted. He said he didn't like NU because it was TOO URBAN for his tastes, then he chooses Pitt over Indiana (classic college town) and NU??!! WTF?

I LIKED Pitt once I got adjusted a bit to city life (I was living on a farm before Pitt). It's a small campus spatially because they've built vertically. The COL is awesome, and the Carnegie museums, Conservatory, and art collections are excellent. There's good, cheap food in the area (Primanti's, Uncle Sam's, Chinese restaurants, Indian restaurants, and The Original if you like grease dredged in grease), decent night clubs, and there is Shenley Park nearby and Frick park a few miles away. Pittsburgh is a neat city. Plus, I had access to Carnegie Museum property at Powdermill Nature Preserve, which is beautiful and full of undescribed insect species, and they have a field station at Pymatuning Lake and Sanctuary lake (which is kinda OK if you like carp ponds). There was excellent fishing both in the city (Alleghany River) or an hour away in the Alleghanies. I had a great time there, but I like urban environments as well as the country.

However, Pitt is NOT some school with a college town atmosphere like Indiana. And YES, the only significant green space on campus is the COL lawn. And YES, the drug dealers come out in droves on Forbes Avenue around the O late at night. They were wonderful if you wanted curbside drug service. Most housing in Oakland was dumpy from what I would hear. I lived in Shady Side. By the way, I graduated from Pitt in 1998 and have been back to Pitt as recently as 2013. The football program under Hackett and Rogers had graduation rates under 30%. Like I mentioned earlier, football players complained about the total lack of emphasis on academics, even saying that players were discouraged to take difficult courses or majors. They were envious of my academic experience at NU, and it's better now in that regard with Fitz making it a major program objective. Things have changed for the better, I'm sure. They HAD to. I stand by everything I wrote! You just need to go back and read what I wrote more carefully.

Last edited:
You're missing my point, No Chores! The issue isn't whether Pitt is a good school, or is attractive if you like URBAN universities. It is. It just is NOT a school with a small, college town feel, which is what Nunn indicated that he wanted. He said he didn't like NU because it was TOO URBAN for his tastes, then he chooses Pitt over Indiana (classic college town) and NU??!! WTF?

I LIKED Pitt once I got adjusted a bit to city life (I was living on a farm before Pitt). It's a small campus spatially because they've built vertically. The COL is awesome, and the Carnegie museums, Conservatory, and art collections are excellent. There's good, cheap food in the area (Primanti's, Uncle Sam's, Chinese restaurants, Indian restaurants, and The Original if you like grease dredged in grease), decent night clubs, and there is Shenley Park nearby and Frick park a few miles away. Pittsburgh is a neat city. Plus, I had access to Carnegie Museum property at Powdermill Nature Preserve, which is beautiful and full of undescribed insect species, and they have a field station at Pymatuning Lake and Sanctuary lake (which is kinda OK if you like carp ponds). There was excellent fishing both in the city (Alleghany River) or an hour away in the Alleghanies. I had a great time there, but I like urban environments as well as the country.

However, Pitt is NOT some school with a college town atmosphere like Indiana. And YES, the only significant green space on campus is the COL lawn. And YES, the drug dealers come out in droves on Forbes Avenue around the O late at night. They were wonderful if you wanted curbside drug service. Most housing in Oakland was dumpy from what I would hear. I lived in Shady Side. By the way, I graduated from Pitt in 1998 and have been back to Pitt as recently as 2013. The football program under Hackett and Rogers had graduation rates under 30%. Like I mentioned earlier, football players complained about the total lack of emphasis on academics, even saying that players were discouraged to take difficult courses or majors. They were envious of my academic experience at NU, and it's better now in that regard with Fitz making it a major program objective. Things have changed for the better, I'm sure. They HAD to. I stand by everything I wrote! You just need to go back and read what I wrote more carefully.
Glades, thanks. I did go back and read what you said. This post is a far cry from what you said earlier,and I think it's a good one, essentially because it recognizes some of the good things about Pitt. Yes it is an urban campus. I didn't realize that there was significant time between you college graduation and your entry into the PhD program at Pitt. Anyway, Nunn's desire to attend a small college town school is inconsistent with his selection of Pitt, so I get you point! NC

Glades, thanks. I did go back and read what you said. This post is a far cry from what you said earlier,and I think it's a good one, essentially because it recognizes some of the good things about Pitt. Yes it is an urban campus. I didn't realize that there was significant time between you college graduation and your entry into the PhD program at Pitt. Anyway, Nunn's desire to attend a small college town school is inconsistent with his selection of Pitt, so I get you point! NC

All I did was emphasize the URBAN nature of the school. By the way, have you ever watched "Wonder Boys"? It was filmed around Pittsburgh and CMU and takes me right back to my grad school days at Pitt. Great movie. I think you'd enjoy it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT