ADVERTISEMENT

NU's "BMac replacement" recruiting

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
I have talked to two of Northwestern's 2018 point guards whom they are recruiting to replace BMac over the last couple days. I talked to Jordan Lathon yesterday for the story I posted today, and I talked to Jaelin Llewellyn today. Lathon is the priority for NU, I think.

Llewellyn is just getting started in the recruiting process. NU had just started talking to him when they offered, and he didn't know very much about the program or Chris Collins before that (he's from Canada, remember). He has 19 offers, and his plan to take some visits after the July evaluation period. He's hoping to visit NU at some point, but that's by no means a sure thing. In Canada, by the way, he went to Orangeville Prep, the program that produced Thon Makar and Jamal Murray.

Lathon is much further along in the process. As we know, he is taking his official to NU on June 20-22. He's got strong relationships with Collins and Pat Baldwin already and has been talking to them for a while now. I think he's Priority 1 right now. He could make a decision and commit before Llewellyn even starts to schedule a visit.

I also think that this is an either/or proposition. They are both being recruited as lead guards to replace BMac, so I don't think NU would continue to recruit Llewellyn if they land Lathon. It's not a BMac/Isiah Brown scenario as they both have similar games and are relatively big guards. That's my .02, anyway.

I'll post the Llewellyn story tomorrow. He's a good kid; very soft-spoken and thoughtful. He's got a 3.9 GPA, too. In many ways, he's a good fit for NU. I just don't know if the opportunity will be there by the time he makes a decision. NU will also be up against some formidable competition who have a head start on them (Cincy, Georgetown, Purdue, Tennessee, UNLV, Virginia and Wake, among others, have offered).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News