ADVERTISEMENT

NUWBB News

The Athletic did a story "22 assistant women’s basketball coaches ready to lead their own programs" and NU's own made the list:

Kate Popovec, Northwestern associate head coach

Popovec has been a fast riser in the industry and is the youngest coach on this list. The former Wildcat basketball player graduated in 2013 and was hired as the director of player development in 2014. She stayed in that role until she was promoted to an assistant coach for the 2017-18 season. A year later, she added the defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator titles to her job, and in August, she was named as the associate head coach. With Northwestern head coach Joe McKeown’s contract extended through the 2024-25 season, could Popovec be a (young) coach-in-waiting at Northwestern? Or will she soon get an opportunity at a Midwestern mid-major, where she can show her chops and return to her alma mater to follow her former coach?

The Athletic did a story "22 assistant women’s basketball coaches ready to lead their own programs" and NU's own made the list:

Kate Popovec, Northwestern associate head coach

Popovec has been a fast riser in the industry and is the youngest coach on this list. The former Wildcat basketball player graduated in 2013 and was hired as the director of player development in 2014. She stayed in that role until she was promoted to an assistant coach for the 2017-18 season. A year later, she added the defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator titles to her job, and in August, she was named as the associate head coach. With Northwestern head coach Joe McKeown’s contract extended through the 2024-25 season, could Popovec be a (young) coach-in-waiting at Northwestern? Or will she soon get an opportunity at a Midwestern mid-major, where she can show her chops and return to her alma mater to follow her former coach?

That’s good to read. Forgot she was so young. I’ll be shocked if she doesn’t take over for Coach Joe when his contract runs out. NU is set up nicely. I expect KPop to have great success and to take the program to the next level. Her ability to recruit will be key.

Reactions: No Chores
That’s good to read. Forgot she was so young. I’ll be shocked if she doesn’t take over for Coach Joe when his contract runs out. NU is set up nicely. I expect KPop to have great success and to take the program to the next level. Her ability to recruit will

Recruiting seems to have picked up the last 2 years. Who is the lead recruiter?
Actually, recruiting has been very good for the past 5 or 6 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT