ADVERTISEMENT

Offense: Has To Be Better

Don’t care how. Fire coaches, change personnel. This cannot be allowed to continue.
If nothing significant changes, and soon, morale will crash if it hasn't already and what is happening right now will continue well into the future, and the defense will decline as well.

The only thing that kept last year from being this year was CT.

Reactions: corbi296
If nothing significant changes, and soon, morale will crash if it hasn't already and what is happening right now will continue well into the future, and the defense will decline as well.

Think about all the geniuses on this board who wanted Clayton benched at various point of his career. It couldn’t be any worse, they exclaimed. Yes, it could be much worse and now we are seeing it unfortunately.

Reactions: DaCat
Think about all the geniuses on this board who wanted Clayton benched at various point of his career. It couldn’t be any worse, they exclaimed. Yes, it could be much worse and now we are seeing it unfortunately.
Not sure what good it will do to fire McCall but it’s easier to change coaches that to find another Jackson and Thorson on this roster. They either weren’t recruited or developed by this coaching staff. And with the same bottom-performing OL all this time.

Not sure what good it will do to fire McCall but it’s easier to change coaches that to find another Jackson and Thorson on this roster. They either weren’t recruited or developed by this coaching staff. And with the same bottom-performing OL all this time.

The OL isn’t terrible to be honest. The biggest problem on offense is the QB and OC.

Smith isn’t good enough to start with on this level, and McCall is doing a terrible job scheming guys open.

Reactions: Catslash
The OL isn’t terrible to be honest. The biggest problem on offense is the QB and OC.

Smith isn’t good enough to start with on this level, and McCall is doing a terrible job scheming guys open.
If they aren’t terrible then this is the worst collection of skill players I’ve seen in CFB. I guess that’s not mutually exclusive.

I sat out in the weather coming from Texas to watch the pathetic offensive display. Fitz needs to shake things up!! Today!! No more offensive ineptitude. Give the ball to Drake Anderson. Only guy on offense with some explosion. Get Hunter out there!! Do something

He was adequate but not even as good as he was pre knee injury. I think the credit for last year resides with the entire senior class, not one guy. The middle of the DL, the LT, LG and RG, Nate Hall. These were really good leaders.

If they aren’t terrible then this is the worst collection of skill players I’ve seen in CFB. I guess that’s not mutually exclusive.

they remind me of an expansion NFL team. Some talent sprinkled here and there but mostly backup quality players on offense. When Lees is your #1 that’s a problem. He would be a great #3. He doesn’t scare anybody. It’s not like they’re doubling him and leaving other guys open. They can play these guys straight up in man and our guys can’t get open.

a better QB would make a big difference although I don’t think Patrick Mahomes would be anything more than mediocre in this offense. McCall is that bad.

they remind me of an expansion NFL team. Some talent sprinkled here and there but mostly backup quality players on offense. When Lees is your #1 that’s a problem. He would be a great #3. He doesn’t scare anybody. It’s not like they’re doubling him and leaving other guys open. They can play these guys straight up in man and our guys can’t get open.
Good comparison. The sum is way less than the parts, and the parts aren’t great. Probably several guys would be fine if in a better scheme with better talent.

I said this in another thread but Thorson wasn’t that good last year. He was good enough and that was fine. You’re overlooking the guys who made the offense go. The TE, LG, RG. LT was not good but he cared and played hard. RT was good but now he’s on the left and well he can’t do it alone.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
He was adequate but not even as good as he was pre knee injury. I think the credit for last year resides with the entire senior class, not one guy. The middle of the DL, the LT, LG and RG, Nate Hall. These were really good leaders.
Agreed, I wasn't trying to diminish the other players who contributed. However, without the spark of CT, last year would have looked a lot like this year because of other deficiencies. Still, one player is not going to solve this going forward.

Reactions: Pukecat
I don’t remember anyone saying Thorson should be benched.
I think IGNORE did. Thorson has his detractors. I think he was serviceable. Not as good as his predecessors except from a physical tools standpoint. Thorson has all the gifts but I don’t think he was as accurate as Persa or as quick as Colter or as heady as Basanez

I think IGNORE did. Thorson has his detractors. I think he was serviceable. Not as good as his predecessors except from a physical tools standpoint. Thorson has all the gifts but I don’t think he was as accurate as Persa or as quick as Colter or as heady as Basanez
Ok, I can agree with that. I just do t remember anyone saying Thorson should be benched.

Yes there were silly calls for Thorson to be benched and those OL men that are so fondly remembered today took their fair share of abuse too. A lot of people like to blame the players, when the major problem with the dysfunction of the offense is clear as day.

Yes there were silly calls for Thorson to be benched and those OL men that are so fondly remembered today took their fair share of abuse too. A lot of people like to blame the players, when the major problem with the dysfunction of the offense is clear as day.
I don’t remember too many people unloading on Doles or Butler. Well Butler did commit a few bad penalties. Hance was the oft criticized one and you notice I didn’t credit his play, just the fact he gave great effort usually.

I don’t remember too many people unloading on Doles or Butler. Well Butler did commit a few bad penalties. Hance was the oft criticized one and you notice I didn’t credit his play, just the fact he gave great effort usually.

I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder. Last year’s OL was bad.

Reactions: cat inkansas
Thorson was a good fit for NU. Did not flash NFL level talent in preseason and was not flashy but winning 3 bowls and 4 straight winning seasons get the QB some recognition. The offense is just out of sync. Play calling feels choppy. When not at game.. I am watching with the local Alumni club. Comment today was it felt like a driver with a heavy foot on the brake and gas. Team doesn't move fast just choppy starts..stops and punts.

DKE and the guys who've strapped it on and entered the arena suggested otherwise.

I think a lot of the frustration with Thorson was actually anger at McCall for terrible scheme and play call. Even with an NFL RB in JJ, NFL WR in Carr and NFL QB in Thorson, the offense was meh (outside of that MSU explosion).

Thorson was solid, but limited by the playcall. Siemian was also solid, but limited by the playcall. Even Persa was solid, but limited by the playcall.

I think a lot of the frustration with Thorson was actually anger at McCall for terrible scheme and play call. Even with an NFL RB in JJ, NFL WR in Carr and NFL QB in Thorson, the offense was meh (outside of that MSU explosion).

Thorson was solid, but limited by the playcall. Siemian was also solid, but limited by the playcall. Even Persa was solid, but limited by the playcall.
Persa wasn’t limited by the playcalling. They let him make all the throws. He was limited by a poor running back situation and poor run blocking even when the backs made the right read.

Good lord. Persa had a Heisman Trophy worthy season pre injury. He carried that team on his back.

Good lord. Persa had a Heisman Trophy worthy season pre injury. He carried that team on his back.

To be eminently clear he was NOT a heisman finalist, he passed for 2500 yards and 15 tds, ran for 500 through 10 games. The offenses S&P rank that year was 40. They were good, but not amazing.

Kyle Murray, for example, who won an actual heisman trophy, passed for 4300 yards and 42 tds last year (more than 10 games, but his 10 worst games were better)

Cam Newton, who won the trophy that year, passed for 2800, 30 tds and ran for another 1400

Dan Persa was a GREAT player, and I think he would have made a solid pro, but saying he had a heisman caliber season under mccall is pretty silly, lets not deify the decent seasons we had in the past.

You forget how frustrating even the 2012 team was with colter and siemian. Colter would run twice on 1st and 2nd and siemian would often come in for 3rd and long.

Reactions: DaCat and mikero3
I think we need to bring in the Wing T or some other run-first, misdirection offense. 90% of college football runs the same 'spread' which means everyone is going after the same players.

Oh yeah, and #FireMcCall

To be eminently clear he was NOT a heisman finalist, he passed for 2500 yards and 15 tds, ran for 500 through 10 games. The offenses S&P rank that year was 40. They were good, but not amazing.

Kyle Murray, for example, who won an actual heisman trophy, passed for 4300 yards and 42 tds last year (more than 10 games, but his 10 worst games were better)

Cam Newton, who won the trophy that year, passed for 2800, 30 tds and ran for another 1400

Dan Persa was a GREAT player, and I think he would have made a solid pro, but saying he had a heisman caliber season under mccall is pretty silly, lets not deify the decent seasons we had in the past.

You forget how frustrating even the 2012 team was with colter and siemian. Colter would run twice on 1st and 2nd and siemian would often come in for 3rd and long.

I don't think it's silly at all. First of all, I said his play was worthy of Heisman consideration, not that he was a Heisman finalist. Secondly, once again relying solely on stats to judge a player does not always tell the whole story. The Heisman Trophy is supposed to go to the best INDIVIDUAL player in College Football and pre injury that year Persa's play certainly warranted consideration for that title in my opinion. It was the greatest single season performance I have seen from an individual player in all of my time watching NU football. That NU team had much less talent than the current team does. The defense was still in a transition phase from Colby to Hank and the skill position talent was well below what we currently have. In fairness, he probably played behind a better OL than what we have now. Nonetheless, Persa single handedly carried that team on his back to a winning record and his stats would have been even better had he been able to finish the season. What's silly is comparing Persa's stats to Kyler Murray not only because college offenses in general are much more wide open now than they were then and because Persa had nowhere near the supporting cast around him that a player like Murray had at Oklahoma. Put Persa in his prime, pre injury on an offense like Oklahoma and he would put up video game like numbers. The performance Persa put on his junior year was definitely Heisman Trophy caliber in my opinion.

Last edited:
I sat out in the weather coming from Texas to watch the pathetic offensive display. Fitz needs to shake things up!! Today!! No more offensive ineptitude. Give the ball to Drake Anderson. Only guy on offense with some explosion. Get Hunter out there!! Do something

Drake is not the answer. He is a ok as a change of pace back but if Brown is not injured against UNLV in the first half the legend of Drake Anderson does not happen.

Reactions: AtlantaCat
Do you only consider it a successful post if you are able to get at least one direct shot in at the haters about how dumb they are / were / will be?

I just don’t think the primary takeaway for me in comparing the complaints of last year to what we’ve seen this year would be “Man those guys were really dumb, cause they thought it couldn’t get any worse, but wow look now it has! What a bunch of morons!”

Reactions: freewillie07
Do you only consider it a successful post if you are able to get at least one direct shot in at the haters about how dumb they are / were / will be?

I just don’t think the primary takeaway for me in comparing the complaints of last year to what we’ve seen this year would be “Man those guys were really dumb, cause they thought it couldn’t get any worse, but wow look now it has! What a bunch of morons!”

I found it interesting that Fitz said almost exactly the same thing in his Iowa post game press conference in response to a question about Clayton. Clayton was pretty damn good for NU. It’s unfortunate that some can’t give him his just due to this day and others weren’t able to recognize how important he was to the team’s success while he was here.

Last edited:
Drake is not the answer. He is a ok as a change of pace back but if Brown is not injured against UNLV in the first half the legend of Drake Anderson does not happen.

Could probably say the same thing about Lou Gehrig...

ADVERTISEMENT