ADVERTISEMENT

Official Beer

Corona has signed a marketing agreement with the University of Texas to be the official beer of the Longhorns: "Horns Up, Limes In".

What would be an appropriate official beer for the Cats? Old Style is too easy. Back in my day it might have been Schlitz but I don't think that even exists anymore.

Ideas?

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...dium=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-football

Spaten-- since most of the games occur during or near Octoberfest. NU fans can afford it.

Spaten-- since most of the games occur during or near Octoberfest. NU fans can afford it.
My vote goes to Yuengling. It's a great tasting, all-day moderate alcohol beer which many of you have consumed at our tailgate. As usual, there will be plenty available at the tailgate for the opener on September 2. Proudly brewed at America's oldest brewery in Pottsville Pa.

Chicago's Big Ten beer is:
- Goose Island 312; or
- Old Style

Or, perhaps a craft brewer can whip up a batch of Chica-Gose Big Ten Beer. It's purple something.

My vote goes to Yuengling. It's a great tasting, all-day moderate alcohol beer which many of you have consumed at our tailgate. As usual, there will be plenty available at the tailgate for the opener on September 2. Proudly brewed at America's oldest brewery in Pottsville Pa.
Not available in Illinois.

Sends a bad message. We shouldn't have any official beer. Last image I want if I had a son playing. Next thing would be selling out with a beer logo on the uniform. Sorry, but let's keep this as college sports and not sell out completely by the $.

That said, when I think of Beer and NU I think of Tailgating and Zombie Dust. Mark it down boys.

Yuengling has consistently gotten the vote on this board every time such a subject comes up over the last 5-10 years.

I would have to favor Goose Island as a broad NU Brewer based on past history with the school.

I wish they would sell 3.2 beer at the games. It would be better than nothing. It would be almost impossible to get unruly on it. The only real problem is they would need more ports potties.

Corona has signed a marketing agreement with the University of Texas to be the official beer of the Longhorns: "Horns Up, Limes In".

What would be an appropriate official beer for the Cats? Old Style is too easy. Back in my day it might have been Schlitz but I don't think that even exists anymore.

Ideas?

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...dium=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-football
In the past, it would have been Goose Island. It was great to go to the games and get a coupe free ones before going into the game.

Reactions: NUCat320
Pennsylvanian here. Yuengling is overrated, imho. When in Pa. you want this stuff:
http://www.straubbeer.com/home.php
I like some of the various Straub offerings, but none really does it for me like Yuengling. On the other hand, my former roommate, Jack Cvercko, NU All American, like his father before him, will drive well out of his way to St. Marys Pa. to pick up a few cases of Straubs.

Sure it is - in the west lot. Nick Van Hoose's family used to bring copious quantities to our tailgate to supplement my supply. You're welcome to visit any time!
Stop by and taste the Zombie Dust at the Catpack tailgate this year [minus Midvale who dialed out]. If you like Two Bells then you will love this high alchohol volume American Pale Ale which is consistently ranked among the Nation's top 3 American Pale Ale's. Best place to snag some is at the brewery along I 80

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
That said, when I think of Beer and NU I think of Tailgating and Zombie Dust. Mark it down boys.

As amazing as Zombie is, Three Floyds is technically in Hammond, IN. Might lose points in some eyes. It's also way too hoppy for some.

If you are trying for sessionable beers, my vote would be:

Chicago-centric: Flywheel (Metropolitan). Daisy Cutter (Half Acre) if you are cool w/ hops.

Non Chicago: Purple Haze (Abita).

I'd consider Spotted Cow (New Glarus) as well, but they don't distribute outside of Wisconsin and Badger fans have basically claimed it already.

Last edited:
As amazing as Zombie is, Three Floyds is technically in Hammond, IN. Might lose points in some eyes. It's also way too hoppy for some.

If you are trying for sessionable beers, my vote would be:

Chicago-centric: Flywheel (Metropolitan). Daisy Cutter (Half Acre) if you are cool w/ hops.

Non Chicago: Purple Haze (Abita).

I'd consider Spotted Cow (New Glarus) as well, but they don't distribute outside of Wisconsin and the Badgers have basically claimed it already.
Daisy Cutter and Spotted Cow can't be denied.

At home ,I always have a keg of Smithwicks on tap but on the road , it has to be Yeungling.. I usually go cheap for Uber's tailgate-PBR

I hate IPA's but my son can tell you which brewery and the name of the IPA just by tasting it with his eyes closed

I'm a big fan of Evanston-based Sketchbook. Their "No Parking" session ale might be perfect for folks moved out of the West lot. I like Snowy Owl and Orange Door too.

Daisy Cutter and Spotted Cow can't be denied.
Having lived one mile north of the Wisconsin border for 25 years I had my share of Spotted Cow and I never really thought it was that great.

Having lived one mile north of the Wisconsin border for 25 years I had my share of Spotted Cow and I never really thought it was that great.

Certainly tastes will differ, but I can't really think of a more sessionable craft beer than Spotted Cow. For the style (Cream Ale) it doesn't get much better.

Certainly tastes will differ, but I can't really think of a more sessionable craft beer than Spotted Cow. For the style (standard Cream Ale) it doesn't get much better.
I know that you are not alone. It is an extremely popular beer. The kind that people who vacation in the northwoods buy cases and cases of to take home.

I know that you are not alone. It is an extremely popular beer. The kind that people who vacation in the northwoods buy cases and cases of to take home.

I am one of those cow couriers.

My neighbor requests a case every time I go up North.
After my return home, we convene on my deck. He with his Spotted Cow, me with a Pabst. Go figure.

Reactions: NUCat320
At home ,I always have a keg of Smithwicks on tap but on the road , it has to be Yeungling.. I usually go cheap for Uber's tailgate-PBR

I hate IPA's but my son can tell you which brewery and the name of the IPA just by tasting it with his eyes closed
Smithwicks is #1. Anything from Two Brothers in Aurora IL. or Half Acre are a go.

Yuengling has consistently gotten the vote on this board every time such a subject comes up over the last 5-10 years.

I would have to favor Goose Island as a broad NU Brewer based on past history with the school.

I wish they would sell 3.2 beer at the games. It would be better than nothing. It would be almost impossible to get unruly on it. The only real problem is they would need more ports potties.

Yes. Bring back huge pee troughs or pee walls again because you need to drink a boat load of 3.2 beer to catch a buzz.

How about Natural Ice? A nasty beer for a nasty defense.

I love Spotted Cow, particularly if it's cobbed out of MidvaleDave's car at halftime.*

*Popular West Lot fake news story

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT