ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State Fans Tear up Columbus and Horseshoe

Urban Meyer succeeded. He has brought an SEC mentality to OSU.

Congratulations?

What's the old saying? "Act like you've done this before".

Not your first Championship, Ohio.

Way to stay classy.

You really think drunken college students, football "fans" and other assorted nitwits north of the Mason-Dixon line need an "SEC mentality" to behave like idiots?

This is why I stopped supporting OSU Football

I couldn't go to an OSU game without being absolutely offended by drunken fans, and it takes a HUGE amount to offend me. What is mind boggling is that I have family members that overlook the players, team, SEC mentality and cheer on the program. It's a tough thing. I actually was persuaded to push for OSU against Oregon but what happened in Columbus afterward was a stark reminder of the embarrassment that the program places on my home state of Ohio. Meyer has succeeded, indeed....succeeded at "Just Win Baby".

Classes and college really don't mean much over there. I am used to watching losses and loads of 'bad luck or curses' here but I'd rather cheer for our players and our team because our fans, geeks as they may be, are harmless to social criminal activity. I mean, not just the players, but the whole game in Columbus centers around booze and fights. And I hate to say it but the near riots in Ohio were a bunch of drunken white boys. I sure as hell don't claim them. lol
This post was edited on 1/13 6:12 PM by Turk

Originally posted by pawildcat:
You really think drunken college students, football "fans" and other assorted nitwits north of the Mason-Dixon line need an "SEC mentality" to behave like idiots?
My favorite story about "SEC mentality."

In 1982, I moved to Tennessee after graduating NU. A friend of mine was the assistant district attorney in the little county in which I lived. He was also a former UT football player. That year, UT beat Alabama for the first time in six years at home in Knoxville. The UT fans poured out of the stadium and the end result was 200 arrests and $300,000 in property damage.

At lunch with this guy (assistant district attorney), I remarked on how over-the-top that was.

He got all indignant and said "That's just college football!"

I have been to a lot of places where they have won big games. And seen some pretty drunk people and some pretty crazy reactions. But only in the SEC do they wake up totally sober the next day and think that what they did was okay because "it is just college football."

This post was edited on 1/13 8:02 PM by GlideCat

I just don't get the whole idea of tearing up the place when you win. Me, I want to go to a bar and hoist quite a few with my buddies and enjoy the moment. I never once have thought "let's go burn a few cop cars" or "let go get in a fight and get pepper-sprayed by the police". How stupid is that? You could almost (but not really) understand it if you LOSE the game, but when you win, why not just be happy and chill?

I agree with Hungry Jack.

When Northwestern wins the National Championship I hope we burn some cars and couches.

I want something to end up in the lake as well. Not a human being, some object.

Originally posted by Eurocat:

When Northwestern wins the National Championship I hope we burn some cars and couches.

The goalposts maybe?

Clouds of tear gas were unleashed upon Ohio State students and fans and you're complaining?

Originally posted by DocCatsFan:

The goalposts maybe?
When we win the NC, I will provide the jackhammer. I was there with the group that laked the posts in 1981 and would love to be there to lake the posts for an NC. Perfect circle.

Well it wasn't Detroit '67

But victory riots ought to tell us that something is wrong with sports and America.

It is rather strange how only the victors riot. Corvallis is safe and sound.

Are their good pogroms?

Schmuck-like choice of words. Or worse.

Re: Well it wasn't Detroit '67

Originally posted by RevCat:

But victory riots ought to tell us that something is wrong with sports and America.

It is rather strange how only the victors riot. Corvallis is safe and sound.
I guess the Canadians did it better in 2011 when they rioted in Vancouver after their NHL team lost to Boston in the Stanley Cup.

Originally posted by GlideCat:

Originally posted by DocCatsFan:

The goalposts maybe?
When we win the NC, I will provide the jackhammer. I was there with the group that laked the posts in 1981 and would love to be there to lake the posts for an NC. Perfect circle.
.. and from some of your recent posts explaining your recent move out of SEC country I wouldn't be surprised that you already have that jackhammer in your arsenal - along with the added equipment and know how to single handedly accomplish the engineering feat required to relocate the goal posts into Lake Michigan.

Re: Well it wasn't Detroit '67

Corvallis? I don't think they see a team that shares their initials beating their arch-rival as a big cause for celebration.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT