ADVERTISEMENT

OK its OT, but a cool view of Denali - The Great One

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
Rarely does North America's tallest mountain display itself with such grandeur as it did this week lighted by the setting sun and magnified by the ice crystals created by subzero temperatures.

This is the view captured by a mere iPhone as seen from my office balcony. Siri claims the mountain, formerly named Mt. McKinley, is 133 miles north of Anchorage as the crow flies.

The literal native translation of "Denali" is "The Great One."

The hanging above it Purple Cloud layer is hopefuly an omen of a Great Year ahead for the Wildcats.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
IMG_0386_zpsdctfnllx.jpg

(The body of water in the foreground just beyond the pictured small boat harbor is Cook Inlet, the ocean outlet into which Captain Cook sailed on his final voyage as he was searching for the Northwest Passage before turning south for Hawaii and his consequent demise.)

And for comparison, here is the same mountain pictured from the same vantage point (albeit with a Nikon D750 and not an iPhone) as seen from my office balcony when President Obama flew into Anchorage aboard Air Force One as pictured - on which occasion he performed the renaming. Denali is the mountain on the far right of the photo. Note even then at the end of summer it remained snow and ice clad.

DSC_1808_zpsb2cbad08.jpg
photo_zps46f4d1eb.jpg

Last edited:
Rarely does North America's tallest mountain display itself with such grandeur as it did this week lighted by the setting sun and magnified by the ice crystals created by subzero temperatures.

This is the view captured by a mere iPhone as seen from my office balcony. Siri claims the mountain, formerly named Mt. McKinley, is 133 miles north of Anchorage as the crow flies.

The literal native translation of "Denali" is "The Great One."

The hanging above it Purple Cloud layer is hopefuly an omen of a Great Year ahead for the Wildcats.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
IMG_0386_zpsdctfnllx.jpg

(The body of water in the foreground just beyond the pictured small boat harbor is Cook Inlet, the ocean outlet into which Captain Cook sailed on his final voyage as he was searching for the Northwest Passage before turning south for Hawaii and his consequent demise.)

And for comparison, here is the same mountain pictured from the same vantage point (albeit with a Nikon D750 and not an iPhone) as seen from my office balcony when President Obama flew into Anchorage aboard Air Force One as pictured - on which occasion he performed the renaming. Denali is the mountain on the far right of the photo. Note even then at the end of summer it remained snow and ice clad.

DSC_1808_zpsb2cbad08.jpg
photo_zps46f4d1eb.jpg

Did we seriously rename Mt. McKinley into Mt. Denali? WTF? What genius was responsible for that and why?

Denali should be Hunter’s nickname.

Too early?

Looks like Hunter as Hunter also works:

From Wikipedia:

Mount Hunter or Begguya is a mountain in Denali National Park in Alaska. It is approximately eight miles (13 km) south of Denali, the highest peak in North America. "Begguya" means child (of Denali) in the Dena'ina language. Mount Hunter is the third-highest major peak in the Alaska Range.[1]

Mount Hunter has a complex structure: it is topped by a large, low-angled glacier plateau, connecting the North (Main) Summit and the South Summit (13,965 feet or 4,257 m). Long, corniced ridges extend in various directions; between them are exceptionally steep faces.

In the below photo Mt. Hunter is the one in the middle with Denali on the right and Mt. Foraker on the left. In my photo with Air Force One flying overhead Mt. Foraker can be prominently seen on the left and just the very tip of Mt. Hunter is visible if one looks very closely at the horizon between Foraker and Denali.

Last edited:
Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Looks like Hunter as Hunter also works:

From Wikipedia:

Mount Hunter or Begguya is a mountain in Denali National Park in Alaska. It is approximately eight miles (13 km) south of Denali, the highest peak in North America. "Begguya" means child (of Denali) in the Dena'ina language. Mount Hunter is the third-highest major peak in the Alaska Range.[1]

Mount Hunter has a complex structure: it is topped by a large, low-angled glacier plateau, connecting the North (Main) Summit and the South Summit (13,965 feet or 4,257 m). Long, corniced ridges extend in various directions; between them are exceptionally steep faces.

In the below photo Mt. Hunter is the one in the middle with Denali on the right and Mt. Foraker on the left. In my photo with Air Force One flying overhead Mt. Foraker can be prominently seen on the left and just the very tip of Mt. Hunter is visible if one looks very closely at the horizon between Foraker and Denali.

timbfischerWell-Known Member
Denali should be Hunter’s nickname.

@timbfischer
Here is a photo that faintly shows Mount Hunter between Mt. Foraker and Denali which I took on the same day as that in the original post.

IMG_0385_zpsmvkkwcya.jpg

Compare to the below aerial photo to see the positioning of Mt. Hunter (only the tip of which is faintly visible in my above photo) located between Mt. Foraker on the left and Denali on the right.

As noted above these are the three highest peaks in the Alaska Range.

04684v.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT