ADVERTISEMENT

One thing I want to share about Fitz

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
It's been a couple days now, and I wanted to post something personal here.

Like everyone else, I was absolutely stunned when Fitz was fired on Monday. Even though the scandal seemed to be heading toward that outcome, and I was half-expecting it, nothing could prepare me for Matt Shelton's call telling me Fitz was fired. I was out for a walk with my wife at the time. I came home, wrote a banner headline for Matt's story, and then just stared out the windows of the sliding doors next to the dining room table. Fifteen minutes passed. I just sat there, numb, while my phone dinged over and over.

A few hours later, I texted Fitz to say thanks for the way he treated me throughout his 17 years, and to offer a few thoughts. I think all of you know how much I liked and admired Fitz. With all that guy had going on at that time, he texted me back a couple hours later. He thanked me for covering the team all these years, and then he talked about his love for his players and his program. Nothing about himself. Just his players. Then, he ended his text with this:

Once a Wildcat always a Wildcat!
Neck Roll for Life!
GO CATS!

Reading that almost made me cry. Two days later, I still can't believe this happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.